1. Quite a good review here:-

Originally posted by ManchesterBon Jovi @ COMS
    Adam Moss
    23/ 6/2008

THERE was rain - and then it rained some more - but it couldn't dampen the spirits of the thousands crammed into the City of Manchester Stadium to see veteran rockers Bon Jovi strut their stuff live.

Slippery When Wet indeed.

And it was that legendary 1986 album which provided the breathless opening to this gig. Wasting no time they dug out two Bon Jovi classics to give the front end of the show a few fireworks. Kicking off with the anthemic Livin' On A Prayer then ploughing directly into You Give Love A Bad Name.

All of a sudden we were back in the heart and soul of the 1980s and I felt undressed without shoulder pads, ridiculously manicured hair and a forearm full of bangles.

But it was obvious the tempo would have to take a little dip at some point - the band are not exactly spring chickens these days. Jon Bon Jovi aside, New Jersey's most celebrated pop rockers are clearly starting to look their age - guitarist Richie Sambora looking for all the world like he's been poured into his outfit by someone without an eye for portion control.

But, hey, at least the legendary stringsman has found enough time outside of rehab to make a sustained appearance on this tour.

And the band are all the better for his fabulous fretwork. We're talking old school rock and roll lead guitar here folks, including facial grimaces in all the right places. Stirring stuff for air guitarists everywhere.

Jon Bon Jovi still looks ridiculously effervescent of course. Hellraising rockers just can't look like that without some kind of surgical help can they? I mean, look at Lemmy.

It makes you sick. JBJ still bounds across the stage like a schoolboy from time to time, though the days of hi-wires used to propel him through the air and over the crowd are long gone.

Drives

But it is drummer Tico Torres that really drives this band. While Sambora's guitar licks and Bon Jovi's vocals grab the (Blaze of) glory it is Torres' unrelenting rhythmic assault at the business end of musical affairs which tee up the band's legendary BIG choruses and singalong sections.

The man is a machine. I was exhausted just watching him. I guess it must be all that golf he enjoys so much which keeps him sprightly.

It was still raining at the City of Manchester Stadium. The crowd - a real mixed bag of older and younger rockers, thirtysomething females swooning at JBJ and, well, a bunch of people you just wouldn't expect at a rock concert, weren't relenting though.

So out came 'Always' - the band's big slushy power ballad - and you must have been able to hear the chorus of nasal Mancunian across the Pennines. I've never heard Bon Jovi sound so 'Shameless'. Hilarious, yet strangely moving.

And, after a brief lull for a new acoustic track, the hits kept coming.

No wonder they've won so many awards. How on earth did anyone else get the chance to have a hit single in the charts during the 1980s and 1990s?

"It's been two years Manchester!" JBJ shouted through the microphone. "Are you with me?" he asked.

If I can have the name of your age-defying moisturiser Jon then count me in.
  2. I saw Bon Jovi last night in Toronto on their new Circle Tour. They still have it live as they did 2 years ago reading back through this topic. They played for 2 and a half hours at a frantic pace for most of the show. Jon had the crowd eating out of the palm of his hand from the second song on.

The most interesting thing u2 related about the show was the stage setup. The Circle tour so aptly names features a stage that looks alot like the 360 set up. Except at Rogers Centre in Toronto there was no seating avaialable behind the stage. The stage itself is very similar including two bridges which connect the main stage and the circular u2 style catwalk.

3. ^ sweet, what was the setlist?

i'd have seen them on this tour, but they only came to the UK for a residency in london, and i'm too skint to afford the trip there and back. haha
  4. Originally posted by wangmaster:^ sweet, what was the setlist?

i'd have seen them on this tour, but they only came to the UK for a residency in london, and i'm too skint to afford the trip there and back. haha

Set was pretty good. They played alot of "hits" which would probably infuriate me at a U2 concert, but made this one quite enjoyable.

Blood on Blood
    We Weren’t Born to Follow
    You Give Love a Bad Name
    Born to Be My Baby
    Lost Highway
    Runaway
    It’s My Life
    I’ll Sleep When I’m Dead
    We Got It Goin’ On
    Bad Medicine/ Old Time Rock n’ Roll featuring Kid Rock/Shout
    Love’s The Only Rule
    Lay Your Hands on Me
    Bed of Roses
    I’ll Be There For You
    Something For The Pain
    Someday I’ll Be Saturday Night
    In These Arms
    Work for the Working Man
    Have a Nice Day
    Who Says You Can’t Go Home

Encore

Always
    Wanted Dead or Alive
    Livin’ on a Prayer
  5. ^ that's a pretty awesome setlist, man.

by the way, does anyone have - or know where to find - any decent quality circle tour bootlegs? i've not been keeping up with it as well as i could have.
  6. found this one on www.guitars101.com
    http://www.megaupload.com/?d=1G24YXI6

don't know the quality

Bon Jovi 2010-07-09 New Meadowlands_East Rutherford NJ

Bon Jovi
    New Meadowlands Stadium
    East Rutherford, NJ
    July 9, 2010

Lineage: Edirol R9/CA 11 Mics/ CA 9100 Preamp > Adobe Audition > CD Wave > Trader's Little Helper [FLAC] wave MP3
    Taper - JB
    Editing - Deb1

Disc 1:
    01. Intro
    02. Raise Your Hands
    03. We Weren't Born To Follow
    04. You Give Love A Bad Name
    05. Born To Be My Baby
    06. Superman Tonight
    07. In These Arms
    08. [talk]
    09. When We Were Beautiful
    10. Captain Crash & The Beauty Queen From Mars
    11. I'll Sleep When I'm Dead
    12. We Got It Goin' On
    13. Bad Medicine
    14. [talk]
    15. Old Time Rock & Roll [with Kid Rock]
    16. Bad Medicine reprise
    17. Love's The Only Rule

Disc 2:
    01. Lay Your Hands On Me [Richie Sambora on vocals]
    02. Open All Night
    03. I'll Be There For You [Richie and Jon on vocals]
    04. [talk]
    05. Squeeze Box [The Who cover]
    06. Someday I'll Be Saturday Night [acoustic]
    07. Have A Nice Day
    08. Work For The Working Man
    09. It's My Life
    10. Who Says You Can't Go Home
    11. Keep The Faith
    12. Encore applause
    13. Wanted Dead Or Alive
    14. I Love This Town
    15. Glad All Over [The Dave Clark Five cover]
    16. [talk]
    17. Livin' On A Prayer

enjoy
  7. ^ oh nice, thanks man. appreciate it.
  8. How GREAT is that they're closing their shows with Livin' On A Prayer... I looooooooove it.
    The performance at Madrid (Rock In Rio) was fucking absolutely greaaaat:

x10000000000

9. Ya it's an immense way to close the show. In Toronto the crowd took up the whole first verse and part of the chorus. It was spectacular.
  10. Going to see Bon Jovi again tonight in Toronto in the Air Canada Centre (smaller arena venue). Hoping for another great show
  11. BUMP.

listening to HAND at the minute, great little album. as far as anthemic pop songwriters go, you can't get much better than Jon.

...that said, The Circle, and all the new tracks from the new greatest hits, are so cringeworthy they border on unlistenable. I hope they're just going through the motions, and don't have to pile cliche on top of uninspired cliche for their next album, 'coz they're one of my all time favourites and i'd hate for them to end an otherwise great back catalogue this way.

/rant.
  12. This is a U2 website not a hairspay big boots and naff tunes tribute page ,if you are so engrossed with the thrash like that type in "discountable fake ,havent released a good tune since the 80s" and hey presto Bon jovi will appear.