1. Originally posted by drewhiggins:Recently been getting into Oasis after thinking for years: what boring gits.

I think Be Here Now is one of the greatest albums I've ever heard.
    Really? Most (me included) regard their debut and What's The Story Morning Glory as their best albums no doubt. Do you prefer Be Here Now over these two?
  2. Originally posted by LikeASong:[..]
    Really? Most (me included) regard their debut and What's The Story Morning Glory as their best albums no doubt. Do you prefer Be Here Now over these two?
    It'd be interesting to start listening to Oasis now and randomly (as opposed to say, chronologically - like I did) choose the order in which to listen to these albums for the first time. I wonder what kind of impact that would have on someone?

I absolutely adore the band's first two albums...so many good tunes...to go along with so many great memories of being in my early twenties...to go along with the rest of the world saying how great these albums are...

I guess one could begin this debate about anything in popular culture.

I digress.
  3. Originally posted by RUMMY:[..]
    It'd be interesting to start listening to Oasis now and randomly (as opposed to say, chronologically - like I did) choose the order in which to listen to these albums for the first time. I wonder what kind of impact that would have on someone?

I absolutely adore the band's first two albums...so many good tunes...to go along with so many great memories of being in my early twenties...to go along with the rest of the world saying how great these albums are...

I guess one could begin this debate about anything in popular culture.

I digress.
    Quality is quality, it's there. Personal preference is obviously a totally different matter but even in art there are tangible, objective things. Achtung Baby and Joshua Tree are most people's favourites for a reason. If you could "land" on U2's planet and listen to all albums unbiasedly, you would most probably choose TJT and Achtung Baby as your favorites anyway, because quality is there.
    Same goes for Oasis' 2 first albums IMO
  4. Originally posted by LikeASong:[..]
    Quality is quality, it's there. Personal preference is obviously a totally different matter but even in art there are tangible, objective things. Achtung Baby and Joshua Tree are most people's favourites for a reason. If you could "land" on U2's planet and listen to all albums unbiasedly, you would most probably choose TJT and Achtung Baby as your favorites anyway, because quality is there.
    Same goes for Oasis' 2 first albums IMO
    I'm sure you're right - at least I hope you are.

I tend to get paranoid about truly having my own free will from time to time. Been watching too much Black Mirror lately.
  5. If I'm taking one Oasis album to the U2start desert island, it's Be Here Now.
  6. Ok, Drew is waiting for you there. Bring some food, he's starting to starve
  7. Does anyone like "Gas Panic!"? I heard it for the first time the other day (I don't really care for Standing on the Shoulders of Giants) and thought it was one of the best post-Be Here Now Oasis tracks.
  8. Originally posted by thefly108:Does anyone like "Gas Panic!"? I heard it for the first time the other day (I don't really care for Standing on the Shoulders of Giants) and thought it was one of the best post-Be Here Now Oasis tracks.
    I love it! Especially live version! One of their best songs ever!
  9. Originally posted by thefly108:Does anyone like "Gas Panic!"? I heard it for the first time the other day (I don't really care for Standing on the Shoulders of Giants) and thought it was one of the best post-Be Here Now Oasis tracks.
    '' Gas Panic!'' is amazing live, I was at this gig and it ranks highly as one of my fave Oasis shows... Here's the vid, It's ace!
  10. That rendition is mind-blowing.
  11. Originally posted by thefly108:Does anyone like "Gas Panic!"? I heard it for the first time the other day (I don't really care for Standing on the Shoulders of Giants) and thought it was one of the best post-Be Here Now Oasis tracks.
    Love Gas Panic! (and think that SOTSOG gets a bad wrap). It's definitely one of the band's most underrated songs.

Speaking of that album, if you haven't already done so, have a listen to the Go Let It Out b-side called Let's All Make Believe. I'll even help you out:
  12. Ranking Time: Oasis Studio Albums (not including The Masterplan)
    1. Definitely Maybe
    2. (WTS) Morning Glory?
    3. Be Here Now
    4. Standing on the Shoulder of Giants
    5. Don't Believe the Truth
    6. Dig Out Your Soul
    7. Heathen Chemistry