1. Originally posted by wtshnnfb01:With gas prices back up, while have to find a cheaper accelarant. Also, I would support a genrael threats topic, just as a place to blow off steam, if anyone wants to start one.

lol...I agree with your General Threats Topic....but I got the feeling I will get loads of threats upon me...

Back OT: I think they have had a very good period lately: ATYCLB was a masterpiece and HTDAAB was pretty good too...so there is a slight chance of another masterpiece!
  2. They'll never reach it again i'm afraid because there's no artistic drive, no need to prove anything, no crisis, no hunger. Of course it's only my modest opinion but I think you'll need to be hungry to achieve something.

Bono said it'll be dark and moody like Achtung Baby but i don't believe it. The leaked tracks certainly don't sound dark and moody, just plain straight forward rock riffs anyone could make up. And why would it be dark? Achtung Baby was great because it was all or nothing, recorded in a really dark mood of crisis and on the verge of breaking up. It worked out big time, to me it's one of the greatest pop records ever, as moody and dark as decadent and innovating.

Especially since they want the world to believe they're in fact a punk band and started to make completely empty singalongs like Elevation and Vertigo, I don't believe it can ever get interesting again. When I want to jump around & sing along I prefer the Kaiser Chiefs by far, when it comes to U2 I'm more interested in the hymnic anthems and the kind of religious magical atmospherical paintings of sound that they seem to deny to be really their kind of thing. But we'll see, I hope I'm wrong of course.
  3. Originally posted by noiseless:They'll never reach it again i'm afraid because there's no artistic drive, no need to prove anything, no crisis, no hunger. Of course it's only my modest opinion but I think you'll need to be hungry to achieve something.

Bono said it'll be dark and moody like Achtung Baby but i don't believe it. The leaked tracks certainly don't sound dark and moody, just plain straight forward rock riffs anyone could make up. And why would it be dark? Achtung Baby was great because it was all or nothing, recorded in a really dark mood of crisis and on the verge of breaking up. It worked out big time, to me it's one of the greatest pop records ever, as moody and dark as decadent and innovating.

Especially since they want the world to believe they're in fact a punk band and started to make completely empty singalongs like Elevation and Vertigo, I don't believe it can ever get interesting again. When I want to jump around & sing along I prefer the Kaiser Chiefs by far, when it comes to U2 I'm more interested in the hymnic anthems and the kind of religious magical atmospherical paintings of sound that they seem to deny to be really their kind of thing. But we'll see, I hope I'm wrong of course.

I personally thought Vertigo was one of the worst tracks on the last album. COBL was by far probally the best.
  4. Thanks for voting all!

Is U2's best work still to come? (started on 2008-09-14)

Maybe, I still believe in U2 that they can surprise us - 59.1%
    Absolutely, the next album will be their best - 17.7%
    I seriously doubt they can top JT/AB/another album - 17.7%
    Maybe only with live shows, but with albums it won't be better - 3%
    Not at all, U2's glory periods are over, it's all mainstream now - 2.5%

Votes: 237