1. Originally posted by BigGiRL:[..]
    Irving Plaza

Legendary

"Like landing a 747 in your backyard..." (or front lawn?)

Hope that one day the complete ManRay club will be released...or a decent Astoria
    “Been in a band longer than we hadn’t.”
  2. Originally posted by phil_lebo:[..]
    But they played Pop songs regularly which made them great.
    Nothing will compare to ZooTv ever. It was so innovative and groundbreaking and ahead of its time. Also the first ever B-stage, if you didn’t know that.

For U2, but not in general. In 1990 Bryan Adams used a B stage for acoustic songs just like U2's. I don't think he was the originator of it either, but that was prior to Zoo TV.
  3. Originally posted by Blue_Room:[..]

For U2, but not in general. In 1990 Bryan Adams used a B stage for acoustic songs just like U2's. I don't think he was the originator of it either, but that was prior to Zoo TV.
    Are you sure about that? According to Wikipedia Bryan Adams only played 4 shows in 1990 and two of them are listed as festival shows. The others may well have been festival type shows too. There’s no other evidence of anyone having a b stage prior to zoo tv.
  4. The best thing about the Elevation era was the promo tour... Astoria, Mayray and above all Irving Plaza.
  5. LOL... best promo tour ever...I give you that, but all three legs outrank that brilliant promo tour by far...

Slane 2 and the accompanying cd & dvd is also pretty neat... 1 of the 2 only Elevation outdoor shows...on home turf nonetheless
  6. Turin was outdoor too. Just looking back I don’t regard it as a great tour, same as Vertigo. Whereas Zoo, Pop, 360 and IE are all up there in my opinion.
  7. Originally posted by zooropa93:Turin was outdoor too. Just looking back I don’t regard it as a great tour, same as Vertigo. Whereas Zoo, Pop, 360 and IE are all up there in my opinion.
    yeah I thought there were 3 outdoors: Turin, Berlin and Slane
  8. Oh yeah but it looked like the indoor stage but outdoors in some forest. Remember seeing a pictures with the tent
  9. Also Slane gigs were poor... a 20 song standard set for number 2 a pants ASOH and Thin Lizzy cover for Slane 1. Although wasn’t there so I bet the atmosphere was brilliant.
  10. I forgot about that! Yeah true...nice feature of the Elevation Tour

Obviously we can't all love the same. At some point I favoured Vertigo above Elevation (probably after hearing An Cat Dubh/Into The Heart in LA).

Slane 2 was one of the best European shows and one of the best official U2 live releases
    (quality over quantity )
  11. Originally posted by BigGiRL:[..]
    I forgot about that! Yeah true...nice feature of the Elevation Tour

Obviously we can't all love the same. At some point I favoured Vertigo above Elevation (probably after hearing An Cat Dubh/Into The Heart in LA).

Slane 2 was one of the best European shows and one of the best official U2 live releases
    (quality over quantity )
    maybe I would rate Vertigo higher too, but Europe was not that good. Was in Vienna, Poland and Munich an there was only one change (Vienna and Chorzow exactly the same) and truth is I was bored by majority of HTDAAB songs. Zoo Station/The Fly was pretty good though
  12. Elevation was refreshing in many ways. Stepping away from the bombast of ZooTV and PopMart; primarily indoor shows generating an intimate experience; and shows that had hardly any choreography (ok New York, The Fly and Walk On) allowing the band to play around with setlists.

I loved these shows. Being in the heart felt like sitting on stage and I got the impression that this tour was really about reconnecting with the fans. There were hardly any screens to distract so only the band. Bono more often than not reaching out to the audience. It also was a very emotional tour with Bono's father passing away in the middle of the tour and the aftermath of 9/11.

The setlist were great (although a bit short imo), including personal favorites like 11 o'clock and Gone. The rare songs were awesome (Ground beneath her feet and I even enjoyed Sweetest Thing with Bono on keys); the Pop songs were nice; and warhorses such as Pride or Still Haven't Found were sometimes not even played at all. Personal highlights were Until the End of the World and The Fly which had an amazing intro.

Lastly: mobile phones did not exist! Look for photos, nobody holding phones in their hands.