1. Little Steven tweet.

2. If it wasn't so 'put your head in the sand'.
  3. Originally posted by bonoschild:[..]
    The quote you referenced is actually from the 1800s. Bono paraphrased it. But they've got to be able to help bring about a solution, including the old guys who are still making money even though they could have retired decades ago

I think I’d like to see some of these older artists get on board with change that seen ticket prices coming down a bit as a result of shutting scalpers out but I’m not expecting the old guys to drive the change and I’m not blaming them for allowing the high ticket prices to be charged at their shows. I will blame them if there is big change and they still keep on charging large amounts.
  4. Originally posted by Unodostres123:[..]

I think I’d like to see some of these older artists get on board with change that seen ticket prices coming down a bit as a result of shutting scalpers out but I’m not expecting the old guys to drive the change and I’m not blaming them for allowing the high ticket prices to be charged at their shows. I will blame them if there is big change and they still keep on charging large amounts.
    Its greed and nothing else. If they really wanted to shut down scalpers they could but it would just impact their bottom line.
  5. Originally posted by kevinu267:[..]
    Its greed and nothing else. If they really wanted to shut down scalpers they could but it would just impact their bottom line.
    Definitely greed from the people dictating the ticket prices, that isn’t the band. I highly doubt the band members are bothered about a few extra million in the bank because of higher ticket prices. They’re just simply not getting involved and most people wouldn’t if put in the same position. Easy when you’re the fan moaning about wanting something done, different when you’re the artist who just wants to play the shows and leave the business side to other people.
  6. Well, it was 18 years ago when Larry Mullen wrote a letter complaining and apologizing for U2 fans potentially having to compete with scalpers for concert tickets. We'll see how Vegas and any subsequent U2 tours play out. We already know how the Boss is proceeding
  7. Originally posted by Unodostres123:[..]
    Definitely greed from the people dictating the ticket prices, that isn’t the band. I highly doubt the band members are bothered about a few extra million in the bank because of higher ticket prices. They’re just simply not getting involved and most people wouldn’t if put in the same position. Easy when you’re the fan moaning about wanting something done, different when you’re the artist who just wants to play the shows and leave the business side to other people.

Yup, artists have nothing got to do with pricing. just playing my bass, that's all.
  8. Rationalising it by saying “we deserve to enjoy the rewards” is nothing less than admitting defeat in the battle against scalpers, and adopting a mindset that says “If you can’t beat ‘em, join ‘em”. Yes, dynamic pricing is the epitome of free-market supply and demand theory but it’s not really a free market. Ticketmaster and Live Nation are such global behemoths, they control and set the market. I really do hope the US government and maybe others take a stand because it’s clear that even huge artists like Springsteen, U2 and Taylor Swift don’t have sufficient power to tell them to feck-off.
  9. Even if the scalpers issue is overcome with whatever measures taken there is still the issue of pricing in general and what is fair for nowadays. Some people do seem to be stuck in the past where they think tickets should be £50-£60 for some of the top artists and I think that’s unrealistic unless you want to be looking at the back of the artists heads or way up in the heavens. For the sort of shows the likes of u2 put on and even Bruce who maybe doesn’t go all out on stage design but does play for 3 hours I think £100 for GA is more than reasonable. I think the best seats in the house aren’t overpriced at £200-£250 and I think an average seat isn’t overpriced at £120-£150, lower priced seats maybe £50-£80. I know people will always want to pay less but going to a gig is a luxury. People on nights out can spend well over £100 on drink not to mention taxi’s etc so I think people are expecting to pay too little in general as well.
  10. Originally posted by badirishcharlie:[..]
    I saw David Glimour in the Royal Albert Hall in 2016 and you could not get in unless the name of the ticket(s) matched your bank card..a few people got caught out and it shows it can be done.
    Same here with MUSE in Belfast in 2015: they thoroughly double-crossed every single ticket with their owners' credit cards, although it was a pretty small venue (1500-2000 capacity). And U2 in Barcelona 2017 had a similar system, although it was much more relaxed there and thousands of tickets weren't even checked. But of course it can be done.