1. Originally posted by vanquish:It looks exactly like that on my set, but as you can see in the first pic, the environment isnt as good as the models, and it doesn't look as good as the middle eastern areas from COD4.

The graphics are hyped, when you see Gamespot giving it best graphics of the year, beating titles such as Resistance 2, GOW2, Prince of Persia, CODAW etc.
    All the hogwash about how it can't be done on the 360 is another indicator of the amount of hype and spin behind it.

Resistance 2 and Uncharted are both better technically, and Uncharted can certainly match it it terms of cinematic appeal and story, it was like playing an Indian Jones flick.

With regards to AI: I played the demo on Big Boss Hard twice, and it isn't significantly harder, certainly doesn't compare to COD4 on Veteran (which is endlessly frustrating).

Crawling everywhere seems to do the trick quite well, and the few times I got spotted I would just run to some alleyway and shoot the enemies/ hide until the alert went away. Ironically I actually found it easier to kill them rather than hide, as the AI is useless in a gunfight, and when I try to play dead they often come up to you and kick you which then leaves you struggling with the controls trying to out CQC them.

First things first, you cannot judge a whole game on 10 minutes of demo material. Demo's are often made and released before the game is fully complete and are for that reason going to contain glitches. The AI in any game are not going to be perfect, nevermind in a demo. I refuse to continue the discussion on the basis that you are reviewing a 10 minute demo of a game containing 20 odd hours in total. Come back when you have played the whole thing, witnessed the boss fights, the cinematic genius, that level on the motorbike. . . . . .

And Metal Gear justifiably won best graphics this year. WAW was pure shit in every respect. Any game can look like Prince Of Persia and i'm sorry, but Resistance just doesn't look that great.

FPS like COD can get extremely boring to and are limited in what they can do. Point and shoot. Thats it. Limited options for taking cover, no control over your team. It's just constantly same thing, different location level after level.

Unchartered is a cracking game no doubt. Only 2 faults I can find are the waves and waves of enemy completely shatter the fluidity of the game leaving you stuck behind a pillar for 15 minutes at a time with zero ammo. Surely there could have been a easier way to increase difficulty? Secondly, the ending kills the believability of the storyline (believability was high in Naughty Dog's wants). Those and the frame rates are the only faults I can find. A true 9/10. Dated now though but Unchartered 2 is on the way. . .

PS I run my games via HDMI to my 37 inch 1080p sharp TV. And Metal Gear just looks better. It had 8 months more development and was made and developed for the PS3.

PSS : Your screenshots aren't of actual gameplay either. I'll play it tonight and judge for myself as I just completed a run through of Metal Gear last night.

2. Had it and it isn't at all bad. Graphics are slightly PS2 but the ability to command your whole team brings a breath of fresh air to the genre.
  3. Originally posted by germcevoy:[..]

First things first, you cannot judge a whole game on 10 minutes of demo material. Demo's are often made and released before the game is fully complete and are for that reason going to contain glitches. The AI in any game are not going to be perfect, nevermind in a demo. I refuse to continue the discussion on the basis that you are reviewing a 10 minute demo of a game containing 20 odd hours in total. Come back when you have played the whole thing, witnessed the boss fights, the cinematic genius, that level on the motorbike. . . . . .

And Metal Gear justifiably won best graphics this year. WAW was pure shit in every respect. Any game can look like Prince Of Persia and i'm sorry, but Resistance just doesn't look that great.

FPS like COD can get extremely boring to and are limited in what they can do. Point and shoot. Thats it. Limited options for taking cover, no control over your team. It's just constantly same thing, different location level after level.

Unchartered is a cracking game no doubt. Only 2 faults I can find are the waves and waves of enemy completely shatter the fluidity of the game leaving you stuck behind a pillar for 15 minutes at a time with zero ammo. Surely there could have been a easier way to increase difficulty? Secondly, the ending kills the believability of the storyline (believability was high in Naughty Dog's wants). Those and the frame rates are the only faults I can find. A true 9/10. Dated now though but Unchartered 2 is on the way. . .

PS I run my games via HDMI to my 37 inch 1080p sharp TV. And Metal Gear just looks better. It had 8 months more development and was made and developed for the PS3.

PSS : Your screenshots aren't of actual gameplay either. I'll play it tonight and judge for myself as I just completed a run through of Metal Gear last night.

They may not be screens of actual gameplay but they're pretty much what the game looks like while playing it. And while I realise the demo isnt the whole game, it is representative of it.
    And I would hardly buy a game when I know I'm not going to like it based on the demo am I?
    But I have read other people's reviews of the full game, which was similar to my impressions.

The Uncharted demo gave me favourable impressions, and it was the same length. At least you can judge graphics from the demo, especially seeing as it was released 5 months after the game.

And I realise MGS4 had 8 months more development and was made for PS3, but COD4 is not the same length as MGS4, and has nowhere near the cutscene length, which adds to development time. And IW is a western dev, these days they outshine their Japanese counterparts in terms of graphics, at least technically if not artistically.

And you can't seriously say that COD4 is worse because you just shoot stuff, I was using it as a graphics comparision not a gameplay example. And for the record COD4 does shooting stuff much better than MGS4, even Uncharted got the shooting gameplay better. While I understand that MGS4 is a sort of jack of all trades when it comes to gameplay, the shooting and sneaking are simply not as good as I was expecting it to be. ie. the shooting is not as good as a good shooter and the sneaking and AI is largely similar to the PS2 games, aside from new toys like the Solid Eye and MG Mk 2.
    While I'm sure the boss fights and on the rail sequences are good, you buy a game for its core gameplay.

So that leaves the story, which I'm afraid is too silly for my liking, (from a person who hates the average summer action blockbuster), I can give detailed examples if you want of the bizarreness.

Simply put MGS is like Marmite, some love it, but probably more don't.

PS: Do you sit very close to your 37 inch set? You do know that a 1080p set less than 40 inches is generally not worth it, unless you're using it as a monitor.
  4. Originally posted by vanquish:[..]

PS: Do you sit very close to your 37 inch set? You do know that a 1080p set less than 40 inches is generally not worth it, unless you're using it as a monitor.

those 3 inches may not make a huge difference in gaming between 720p and 1080p but they do when watching blu-rays. Most games only run at 720p anyway and are just upscaled to 1080p.

I still reckon as a graphical set piece, Metal Gear trounces COD4

5. Perhaps in cutscenes it does, but then again they are cutscenes, on that basis Warcraft 3 has the best graphics ever.

In normal gameplay (excluding on the rail sequences/ boss fights) COD4 looks better. You just have to play the first middle eastern mission in MGS4 and compare it with similar levels
    found in COD4 like Charlie Don't Surf.

Some screens with the HUD, as you were complaining that the others arent in game.

6. Originally posted by vanquish:[..]

Perhaps in cutscenes it does, but then again they are cutscenes, on that basis Warcraft 3 has the best graphics ever.

In normal gameplay (excluding on the rail sequences/ boss fights) COD4 looks better. You just have to play the first middle eastern mission in MGS4 and compare it with similar levels
    found in COD4 like Charlie Don't Surf.

I'm playing COD4 as we speak and Metal Gear has it licked, even in gameplay
  7. Well obviously a FPS it's not going to be a better sneaking game, now is it?

The shooting is in a different league compared to MGS4's shooting, isn't it?

And the screens I posted above, were from multiplayer, single player looks better.
    And I played the MGO demo, and it's graphics don't even come close to COD4 multiplayer graphics.

Plus COD4 runs at 60fps not 30, so it is obvious which game is doing more technically.
  8. Originally posted by vanquish:Well obviously a FPS it's not going to be a better sneaking game, now is it?

The shooting is in a different league compared to MGS4's shooting, isn't it?

And the screens I posted above, were from multiplayer, single player looks better.
    And I played the MGO demo, and it's graphics don't even come close to COD4 multiplayer graphics.

Plus COD4 runs at 60fps not 30, so it is obvious which game is doing more technically.

don't think you'll be able to convince him, no matter what you say

though I for myself am amazed by what cod4 and cod5 look like. totally amazing. it's especially awesome how wonderfully smooth it runs on pc without any lags at all.

there's this level in cod5, where the russians storm into berlin and it rains... the ground, walls, clothes look so authentically slippery and rained on - I keep playing those levels over and over, because they just look so amazing
  9. made some caps from cod5 just now. my screen's bigger than that, but imgeshack or whatever site would have resized it anyway (you gotta click on the image again once the window pops up. imageshack is weird like that these days), I guess, so here we go:

that's the level I was talking about - russians invading berlin while it rains

Invalid url 'http://[IMG]http://img393.imageshack.us/img393/7533/cod51pk6.th.jpg[/IMG]'

Invalid url 'http://[IMG]http://img393.imageshack.us/img393/3057/cod52fc6.th.jpg[/IMG]'

and that's the americans wading through the jungle, discovering a crashed plane with the dead pilot (there was a bomb attached to him and exploded shortly after the moment of the screencap)

Invalid url 'http://[IMG]http://img525.imageshack.us/img525/5158/cod53pz2.th.jpg[/IMG]'

attacking the japanese

Invalid url 'http://[IMG]http://img525.imageshack.us/img525/8505/cod54dl0.th.jpg[/IMG]'

10. Originally posted by flowerchild:made some caps from cod5 just now. my screen's bigger than that, but imgeshack or whatever site would have resized it anyway (you gotta click on the image again once the window pops up. imageshack is weird like that these days), I guess, so here we go:

that's the level I was talking about - russians invading berlin while it rains

[image]

[image]

and that's the americans wading through the jungle, discovering a crashed plane with the dead pilot (there was a bomb attached to him and exploded shortly after the moment of the screencap)

[image]

attacking the japanese

[image]

Exactly, he called COD5 and I quote "WAW was pure shit in every respect".

He obviously doesn't know good graphics when he sees them, you just have to play COD4, to see that fantastic lighting and unmatched particle effects. Just the dust particles in the air, the smoke and fire effects, the grenade explosions to be impressed. And the game runs at 60 fps as well.

While the graphics are clearly better than MGS4, he thinks a games cutscenes count towards its graphics.
  11. Originally posted by vanquish:[..]

Exactly, he called COD5 and I quote "WAW was pure shit in every respect".

While the graphics are clearly better than MGS4, he thinks a games cutscenes count towards its graphics.

I don't and thats been clearly stated. Gonna argue with gamespot to? WAW is just a carbon copy of cod4 and the graphics are just loaded with edge enhancement. Many graphically superior games out there.

You aren't gonna convince me.
  12. Theres this other game I play sometimes. It's called 'respecting opinion'. Awesome game. You should try it.