1. This video has surfaced on youtube of release night of Achtung Baby in Dublin. Look at the packed people waiting outside a record store for a midnight release. Something will never see again most likely. One of the reason i wished i lived in this era.
  2. I've been listening to Achtung Baby a lot again and it will never cease to amaze me. I watched From the Sky Down as well - what a missed opportunity of a documentary. They could have expanded it out so much more to really dig deep into the dynamics of the album's inception and recording.
  3. Originally posted by KieranU2:I've been listening to Achtung Baby a lot again and it will never cease to amaze me. I watched From the Sky Down as well - what a missed opportunity of a documentary. They could have expanded it out so much more to really dig deep into the dynamics of the album's inception and recording.
    I liked it a lot over what we had, but I agree with you. It's really not a dive under the hood, but just another version of the "narrative" that they like (to sell to us).

The shorter doc "a story of One" is the same story, as is that VH1 legends segment about AB. It's a cool story and it sells well, but I think the reality of making AB was way more nuanced than "getting nowhere - almost breaking up - ah, there's One..

+ I want to dive into that flightcase Edge has with all those DAT tapes
  4. Originally posted by melon51:[..]
    I liked it a lot over what we had, but I agree with you. It's really not a dive under the hood, but just another version of the "narrative" that they like (to sell to us).

The shorter doc "a story of One" is the same story, as is that VH1 legends segment about AB. It's a cool story and it sells well, but I think the reality of making AB was way more nuanced than "getting nowhere - almost breaking up - ah, there's One..

+ I want to dive into that flightcase Edge has with all those DAT tapes
    I agree. I think it's the hardcore fans in all of us that always crave more. Realistically, we're never going to get archive footage and/or present analysis on how songs like Until the End of the World or Acrobat came together. There's definitely more to those Hansa sessions than the inception of One and then Elsinore when it started coming together amid moments of bombast and imploding.

Even once the album was finished, I'd love to learn more about how they marketed the album - how they marketed 'the new U2'. More about the image, the artwork, etc. From the Sky Down felt like a box-ticking exercise to merely explore these areas for a moment.
  5. The Fly video was a huge marketing tool to promote the new U2 ,the trabants were used in a few cities around the world to promote the album,MTV played a big part and various music magazines covered them extensively in pushing the album, the band were reluctant to give interviews or explain the songs in the first few months and preferred people to draw their own conclusions .When the Zoo TV tour started they got wall to wall coverage from every media platform.
  6. Originally posted by popmarter:The Fly video was a huge marketing tool to promote the new U2 ,the trabants were used in a few cities around the world to promote the album,MTV played a big part and various music magazines covered them extensively in pushing the album, the band were reluctant to give interviews or explain the songs in the first few months and preferred people to draw their own conclusions .When the Zoo TV tour started they got wall to wall coverage from every media platform.
    Vidiwall to wall coverage!
  7. Originally posted by popmarter:The Fly video was a huge marketing tool to promote the new U2 ,the trabants were used in a few cities around the world to promote the album,MTV played a big part and various music magazines covered them extensively in pushing the album, the band were reluctant to give interviews or explain the songs in the first few months and preferred people to draw their own conclusions .When the Zoo TV tour started they got wall to wall coverage from every media platform.
    Think Paul McGuinness was the mastermind behind the whole plan/strategy, and insisted on them being recluse from the media. There's a lot less pictures of the members out and about in 1990(91) than in any other year before or after.

What does still seem clear to me is that they had the basics of the ZooTV concept down quite early on. Fly video indeed was a preview of things to come.
  8. Originally posted by KieranU2:[..]
    I agree. I think it's the hardcore fans in all of us that always crave more. Realistically, we're never going to get archive footage and/or present analysis on how songs like Until the End of the World or Acrobat came together. There's definitely more to those Hansa sessions than the inception of One and then Elsinore when it started coming together amid moments of bombast and imploding.

Even once the album was finished, I'd love to learn more about how they marketed the album - how they marketed 'the new U2'. More about the image, the artwork, etc. From the Sky Down felt like a box-ticking exercise to merely explore these areas for a moment.
    I just re-did a Remix of all the "descendants of that Salome Bootleg demo called Take You Down, (which U2 called Ultraviolet). I was expecting Lady / The Fly and the album Ultraviolet to fit obviously, but Lemon was a bit of a surprise for me..

So while that's all fun, when the doors of that vault would open I'd be lost for a week..
  9. Oh Berlin could be Larry's best drumming ever. What a song, what an absolutely exceptional (for U2 standards', that is) song.,

10. That's a bold statement

11. I still contend that the lighting at Hansa circa 1991 looks like the 2020 Coronavirus
  12. Berlin is really a beautiful song,been playing it recently and I have to say that together with Mercy is one of the hidden U2’s gems