1. Why on earth is decided to put this little jewel as a bonus track on some releases of ATYCLB??? Why wasn't this put on the 'standard' album, since this would have been the one and only perfect follow-up on With Or Without You as a milestone U2-hitsingle, more than One and Beautiful Day, even combined, could have been.

My two cents...
  2. I think they wanted to make the special edition really special. I mean: Grace as bonus track wouldn't make people wanna buy the special edition.
  3. It was also in the Million Dollar Hotel soundtrack. So more freely available. And as a song on iTunes of course.

Would never have made a single. Too quirky.
  4. Ground beneath her feet was also a soundtrack song for the Million Dollar Hotel, just like Stateless....
  5. and it also wasn't written by U2
  6. that's not an criterium for U2 to boost a single, for example: The Saints Are Coming, Everlasting Love are both not written by U2.

I keep finding it really a missed chance, since Ground Beneath Her Feet has one of the most beautifull Edge solo's in it...
  7. It's a nice song, but singles are put out to promote the album the best way possible. Probably the same reason songs like Holy Joe and Fast Cars were only put on certain region releases of those two respective albums.

The Ground Beneath Her Feet isn't that sort of song. Beautiful Day is more appealing for the general public, promotion and sales - but in no way a better song. Look at the songs put out to promote U2 albums (first singles):

Boy: Another Day
    October: Fire
    War: New Year's Day
    The Unforgettable Fire: Pride (In The Name of Love)
    The Joshua Tree: With or Without You
    Rattle and Hum: Desire
    Achtung Baby: The Fly
    Zooropa: Numb
    Pop: Discotheque
    All That You Can't Leave Behind: Beautiful Day
    How To Dismantle An Atomic Bomb: Vertigo

Would you put something like Sometimes You Can't Make It On Your Own or Last Night On Earth as lead singles for those albums? Perhaps for personal satisfaction, but certainly not for satisfaction of profit or sales. But singles are better for release, for the fact more people buy those - a lot just don't buy the albums anymore, because they think 50% is filler.

The Ground Beneath Her Feet would have been seen as that.
  8. Originally posted by gavinfriday:that's not an criterium for U2 to boost a single, for example: The Saints Are Coming, Everlasting Love are both not written by U2.

I keep finding it really a missed chance, since Ground Beneath Her Feet has one of the most beautifull Edge solo's in it...

Saint's was a charity track and didn't actually make it onto a proper U2 album. The real reason they wouldn't have put Ground Beneath out on single or as part as the whole album is because they would have had to have paid Salman a percentage of the takings for each album sold. NONO says Paul McGuinness.

9. From what I remember, and some brief research...

The comment stating that U2 didn't write it is not correct.

U2 did write the MUSIC and Salman Rushdie wrote the LYRICS. U2 are on the recorded track. And the whole band are in the video.

The Ground Beneath Her Feet: U2 with guest Daniel Lanois on pedal steel. Music by U2. Lyrics by Salman Rushdie. Taken from his book "The Ground Beneath Her Feet" (1999) Produced by Daniel Lanois and Brian Eno. Engineered by Richard Rainey. Mixed by Tim Palmer. Programming by Leo Pearson and Danny Saber. Additional Engineering by Mark Howard. Strings by Craig Armstrong.

http://www.u2wanderer.org/disco/17.html
  10. Originally posted by anstratdubh1979:[..]

From what I remember, and some brief research...

The comment stating that U2 didn't write it is not correct.

U2 did write the MUSIC and Salman Rushdie wrote the LYRICS. U2 are on the recorded track. And the whole band are in the video.

The Ground Beneath Her Feet: U2 with guest Daniel Lanois on pedal steel. Music by U2. Lyrics by Salman Rushdie. Taken from his book "The Ground Beneath Her Feet" (1999) Produced by Daniel Lanois and Brian Eno. Engineered by Richard Rainey. Mixed by Tim Palmer. Programming by Leo Pearson and Danny Saber. Additional Engineering by Mark Howard. Strings by Craig Armstrong.

http://www.u2wanderer.org/disco/17.html

All true. But Gerard was getting at this part I think:-
    Originally posted by germcevoy:[..]

Saint's was a charity track and didn't actually make it onto a proper U2 album. The real reason they wouldn't have put Ground Beneath out on single or as part as the whole album is because they would have had to have paid Salman a percentage of the takings for each album sold. NONO says Paul McGuinness.

11. ah, that's a good point indeed and also reasonible, but I do stay at my personal point that it would have been a huge hit, perhaps as a second single, I mean, compare it to Stuck In A Moment...