1. It means the album is over. You can also hear as if a television gets unplugged. Has to do with the zoo tv concept I guess, and somehow is related to the final sounds which close the Sargent Pepper's album.
  2. Originally posted by thunderbolt:[..]

It means the album is over. You can also hear as if a television gets unplugged. Has to do with the zoo tv concept I guess, and somehow is related to the final sounds which close the Sargent Pepper's album.

Well as I said earlier it probably indicates that Zoo TV has stopped broadcasting and has gone silent, hence the dead air siren going off.
  3. the wanderer live is amazing one of my favourite u2 songs
  4. Originally posted by vanquish:[..]

Well as I said earlier it probably indicates that Zoo TV has stopped broadcasting and has gone silent, hence the dead air siren going off.

I really like that take on things. Good thinking!

5. Thanks
    I've been aware of what the sound was for quite a long time, but that meaning behind it just struck me one day while listening to Zooropa

I might post it to U2MoL if people think its good, they finally added my interpretation of the First Time
  6. Originally posted by vanquish:[..]

Zooropa was released 5 months before ZooTV came to a close

7. I know that, but I was thinking in terms of their studio work, live probably follows a different, looser continuity (I doubt they would change their tour plans just for this piece of symbolism to work).

i.e. it pairs Zooropa with Achtung Baby, the first track on AB is Zoo Station and the siren at the end of Zooropa ties up with this metaphor.
  8. I think Edge just found a button that made a funny noise

9. But its not a random noise, its a specific noise - a dead air siren.

Knowing the nature of the album/era and how Eno (and the band) loves all this hidden meaning and depth etc.
    it wasn't just a "let's throw this in cos it sounds cool" idea, they probably put some thought into it.

10. my parents who are almost 60; (era of elvis and beatles, rolling stones not the biggest u2 fans!) love this song partly because a familiar voice of that era johny cash sings it!

i think its funny; i let them hear the zooropa album last sunday and they never heard it before and they liked it!

u2 climbed in there apreciation deu to this duett

great song indeed

love the dead air siren at the end
  11. Sorry, didn't find this topic, but I was pointed in the right direction

Was watching the Wim Wenders movie "Far away so close" or original "In weiter ferne so nah", which I finally found in a Berlin store after a long search, and heard The Wanderer, so I thought to look it up again. Then came across the incredible live version on youtubem which was played for the Johnny Cash memorial show. If you've never heard it, check it out, it's brilliant.