1. I love this song. It was so weird to me at first but I it grew on me fast and I have been a staunch supporter ever since.
  2. Originally posted by germcevoy:I am however still amazed that they kept the song for Glastonbury. I know it was still in the 360 tour window but know your audience and all that.
    They probably wanted to prove to the cynical Brits that they weren't solely relying on their back catalogue however they should have played Magnificent instead.
  3. i think that i’m one of the few people that loves this song in every version
  4. I don’t think it has shed terribly. Punchy, pacey and crowds ate it up live. Another NLOTH song that didnt fit on that album (but none of the others did either).
  5. I know I might upset fans now(more than usally) , but I think the first performence of the song on the Grammy 2009 is thr best version of the song.
    It is more raw and a bit caotic.

https://www.dailymotion.com/video/x8cblx
  6. I'm a fan of Boots!!
  7. Wayyy better live.
  8. They did at least omit the rather cringey sexy boots and bossy boots lyrics live. Also it wasn’t the worst song performed live on the tour due to the appearance of the I’ll go crazy remix but it is the worst song on the album.
  9. All of the NLOTH songs really shined live upon repeat listen. UC, Boots, Magnificent and Boots all got better.
  10. I've always been a big fan of this song, really hope we see it in the live show again (althou doubtful) and cant understand the hate for it. Especially, comments from the band itself about being the wrong pick for first single. I've tried to isolate band member comments to see who it stems from (Bono just recently stated it was wrong choice and should have been MOS. And Larry said it back in the day. I'm fairly sure Adam repeated the thought. I don't believe I've read Edge say it thou). But its my opinion, that the band member's just re-iterate this narrative now, in hindsight, and almost convinced themselves that its the scapegoat to explain the sub-dued response to the album.

I'm not arguing its the album's BEST track, but my defense for it as the 1st single is that its by far the catchiest track. In this day and age (and a decade ago), singles are quick and catchy. They aren't slow and meandering. They aren't the growers.
    To me MOS, even if you were to butcher 2mins off it, and the long drum intro of Breathe just don't fit that mould.
    And the argument for Magnificent, is to me, like saying Miracle Drug should have been the lead single instead of Vertigo. Sure, MDrug is more of the "typical U2 sound", but its not as fast n catchy as Vertigo.
    And imo, it's not the job of a lead single to 'reperent the sound of the rest of the album". At the point of realizing the rest of the album "doesn't sound like the first single", you've already bought the album. So this does not reflect in the sales success of an album.
  11. Originally posted by marik:I've always been a big fan of this song, really hope we see it in the live show again (althou doubtful) and cant understand the hate for it. Especially, comments from the band itself about being the wrong pick for first single. I've tried to isolate band member comments to see who it stems from (Bono just recently stated it was wrong choice and should have been MOS. And Larry said it back in the day. I'm fairly sure Adam repeated the thought. I don't believe I've read Edge say it thou). But its my opinion, that the band member's just re-iterate this narrative now, in hindsight, and almost convinced themselves that its the scapegoat to explain the sub-dued response to the album.

I'm not arguing its the album's BEST track, but my defense for it as the 1st single is that its by far the catchiest track. In this day and age (and a decade ago), singles are quick and catchy. They aren't slow and meandering. They aren't the growers.
    To me MOS, even if you were to butcher 2mins off it, and the long drum intro of Breathe just don't fit that mould.
    And the argument for Magnificent, is to me, like saying Miracle Drug should have been the lead single instead of Vertigo. Sure, MDrug is more of the "typical U2 sound", but its not as fast n catchy as Vertigo.
    And imo, it's not the job of a lead single to 'reperent the sound of the rest of the album". At the point of realizing the rest of the album "doesn't sound like the first single", you've already bought the album. So this does not reflect in the sales success of an album.
    Very well said! I think this album was doomed from the get go.