1. COBL is a great song but it is maybe time for it to have a rest for the next tour. It has gotten plenty of mileage of the last last 15 years. Anyone agree?
  2. Originally posted by miryclay:COBL is a great song but it is maybe time for it to have a rest for the next tour. It has gotten plenty of mileage of the last last 15 years. Anyone agree?
    I don’t really agree no. Not saying I wouldn’t mind it being dropped in favour of something like Gone but if vertigo and elevation are still in the set I would want COBL to be as well. It was dropped for both JT anniversary tours as well so that was enough shows for it to miss compared to other regulars.
  3. I guess it depends on how the new ones plays live. My point is also that COBL is a very definitive song of the Vertigo/360 tours and to a lesser extent IE and EI tours.
  4. Originally posted by miryclay:I guess it depends on how the new ones plays live. My point is also that COBL is a very definitive song of the Vertigo/360 tours and to a lesser extent IE and EI tours.
    If they were to drop all of the regulars and that included COBL that would be fine, dependant on what they brought in obviously. I’d like them to revisit some songs from Boy on the next tour that haven’t been played as much. Twilight, An Cat Dubh/Into the Heart, A Day Without Me. I think they could do a great job of these songs. 11 O’clock tick tock as well, and not as one off or rotationals but played every night. Bring back TUF as well, as I mentioned in my last post Gone. From JT WOWY and Streets. Mysterious Ways will be due an appearance as well, keep zoo station and the fly in there as well and Stay, Zooropa. For the modern era give us stuck, walk on, original of the species, every breaking wave and love is bigger. And then play 7 or 8 new songs. There’s your setlist. If they aren’t closing with a new song play 40 every night as well. They could always throw Bad, UTEOTW or All I Want Is You in as a rotational. These are all songs they’ve nailed live in the past and there isn’t really anything standing in the way of them doing a good job of them again.
  5. Originally posted by miryclay:COBL is a great song but it is maybe time for it to have a rest for the next tour. It has gotten plenty of mileage of the last last 15 years. Anyone agree?
    Agreed, although it's much more urgent to retire Beautiful Day. It's been played at every single tour gig since October 2000 including promo shows and off-tour appearances, it's surreal. COBL is dull and boring by now, I'll give you that, but I just can't stand Beautiful Day anymore.
  6. Originally posted by deanallison:[..]
    If they were to drop all of the regulars and that included COBL that would be fine, dependant on what they brought in obviously. I’d like them to revisit some songs from Boy on the next tour that haven’t been played as much. Twilight, An Cat Dubh/Into the Heart, A Day Without Me. I think they could do a great job of these songs. 11 O’clock tick tock as well, and not as one off or rotationals but played every night. Bring back TUF as well, as I mentioned in my last post Gone. From JT WOWY and Streets. Mysterious Ways will be due an appearance as well, keep zoo station and the fly in there as well and Stay, Zooropa. For the modern era give us stuck, walk on, original of the species, every breaking wave and love is bigger. And then play 7 or 8 new songs. There’s your setlist. If they aren’t closing with a new song play 40 every night as well. They could always throw Bad, UTEOTW or All I Want Is You in as a rotational. These are all songs they’ve nailed live in the past and there isn’t really anything standing in the way of them doing a good job of them again.
    Would love to see a set revisiting those early tunes. Maybe go even deeper and rotate some of those Boy tunes with a few from October. Maybe Gloria to appeal to the broader audience but then throw in I Fall Down or Tomorrow.
  7. Originally posted by deanallison:[..]
    I agree. BD needs a rest.
  8. Originally posted by miryclay:COBL is a great song but it is maybe time for it to have a rest for the next tour. It has gotten plenty of mileage of the last last 15 years. Anyone agree?
    Totally agree. I've thought this for awhile now.
  9. Originally posted by LikeASong:[..]
    Agreed, although it's much more urgent to retire Beautiful Day. It's been played at every single tour gig since October 2000 including promo shows and off-tour appearances, it's surreal. COBL is dull and boring by now, I'll give you that, but I just can't stand Beautiful Day anymore.
    I think BD is here forever. Pretty much like One for the last 30yrs.

If you ask the avg person for 5 U2 songs they can name, for sure Beautiful Day will be one of them. For sure City of Blinding Lights will not be one of them.
  10. Beautiful Day is a banger and in my top 10 U2 songs. I want to hear it live. I agree about COBL. It sounded particularly tired on EI.
  11. Beautiful Day is a strange one. It sounded tired (very tired) in 360 but both during i+e and (mostly) e+i it sounded very good. The Berlin DVD performance is magnificent with Bono singing all the bridge without lowering his voice tone. I do agree it should rest a bit though (maybe not a whole tour, but it may become a rotational song). City Of Blinding Lights is another one which needs a bit more of rest I think, 'cause it sounded tired the last times they played it. I strongly agree they have to bring back Gone. Kick-ass tune which I can't believe hasn't been played since 2001. Original Of The Species, Kite and Sometimes You Can't Make It On Your Own are other tracks I would really love to hear again
  12. If they are determined to play all the regulars still as mentioned above rotate them. I said that a while back that it should be the hits rotated and the more rare songs that are regulars.

Sunday Bloody Sunday/Pride
    New Year’s Day/I Will Follow
    Elevation/Vertigo
    COBL/Beautiful Day
    One/ISHFWILF (the sing along songs )

There’s 10 songs condensed into 5. 3 of they rotationals have been used before, the first 2 groups in Brussels 2010 and One/ISHFWILF on I&E. The others would make sense stylistically. They play these songs on the vast majority of tours so expecting them to be dropped completely maybe is unrealistic but they rotational slots are completely realistic.