1. really dislike it
  2. The more I listen to this song the more it's starting to grow on me again. When NLOTH came out I was really into the album and then as the band changed the setlist for the 360 tour I stopped listening to it but there is some real quality in there. Magnificent for me is the real single from the album.

3. Yeah, this is awesome. I remember another great jam from Morocco,which sounded like early version of Stingray Guitar... It was on some Daniel Lanois videos...
  4. The jam sounds like the bassline right at the beginning of this:

Is that in the studio version?
  5. I think it's a great song. U2 at their uplifting best!
  6. My favourite aspect of Magnificent has always been the meeting/merging of Bono's voice and Edge's solo so you can't fully tell where one ends and the other begins - it's a small detail, but really captures the whole no line on the horizon feeling.
  7. Originally posted by RevU2:My favourite aspect of Magnificent has always been the meeting/merging of Bono's voice and Edge's solo so you can't fully tell where one ends and the other begins - it's a small detail, but really captures the whole no line on the horizon feeling.
    I've always thought that Bono's voice and Edge's guitar merge together that way on the Under a Blood Red Sky version of "11 O'Clock Tick Tock." It's the part where Edge starts soloing as Bono is singing "call out your name....", and his voice keeps rising as Edge is soloing. Very effective, very U2-ish, for lack of a better word
  8. Originally posted by Lightmyway92:[..]
    I've always thought that Bono's voice and Edge's guitar merge together that way on the Under a Blood Red Sky version of "11 O'Clock Tick Tock." It's the part where Edge starts soloing as Bono is singing "call out your name....", and his voice keeps rising as Edge is soloing. Very effective, very U2-ish, for lack of a better word

Yes!! That's a great moment. You reminded me that something similar also occurs during the climax of Please at Popmart. Just watched it again - always sounds incredible when the two elements lock together.
  9. always a great emotion
  10. Amazing song. Nothing on SOI makes me feel like this. (Unless you count the acoustic Wave on the Bonus Disc) Such a shame it was not the first single. I don't hate Boots like everyone else, but will admit it was like a weaker cousin of Vertigo.
  11. Originally posted by pleasegone:Amazing song. Nothing on SOI makes me feel like this. (Unless you count the acoustic Wave on the Bonus Disc) Such a shame it was not the first single. I don't hate Boots like everyone else, but will admit it was like a weaker cousin of Vertigo.
    I agree that Magnificent should have been lead single. It's got that classic U2 anthem vibe to it, but it doesn't sound too much like anything else they'd done.

Boots was definitely an attempt at lead single in the same mould as Vertigo, but it just wasn't as strong. While I do actually really love Boots, the remixes are far better than the album version - maybe if it had been second/third single we'd have gotten some more exposure to those.
  12. A U2 classic