1. Originally posted by thefly07:[..]

what's wrong with it being sung "weirdly"? I'd ask the same about not being in unison. Sometimes in art, things are fucked with intentionally to show said art in a different light. I'm glad U2 is still fucking with their music and their fans

2. Originally posted by thefly07:[..]

what's wrong with it being sung "weirdly"? I'd ask the same about not being in unison. Sometimes in art, things are fucked with intentionally to show said art in a different light. I'm glad U2 is still fucking with their music and their fans

Cause it detracts from the chorus, it's inspired by an Arabic chant, and so would work better if the chorus was monotone like in the Beach Clip version.

Instead of a strangely intoned Irish/English accent that line is sung in, which dilutes the effect.

EDIT: Actually there isn't much difference in vocals at all, probably the BC recording just simplifies the sounds due to the crap quality, but the solo does sound better, especially the bit at 3.17 (on Clip 1).
  3. Originally posted by vanquish:[..]

Cause it detracts from the chorus, it's inspired by an Arabic chant, and so would work better if the chorus was monotone like in the Beach Clip version.

Instead of a strangely intoned Irish/English accent that line is sung in, which dilutes the effect.

EDIT: Actually there isn't much difference in vocals at all, probably the BC recording just simplifies the sounds due to the crap quality, but the solo does sound better, especially the bit at 3.17 (on Clip 1).

whatever dude. i won't even continue where this could go
  4. one of the best songs, what i expected after listen the beach clips.

5. The album has leaked people, so PLEASE drop it with the beach clips

ON TOPIC:
    I love this song, it's probably my favorite on the album, it's so beautifully weird
  6. this is for me the new WALK ON !!!!
    what a great song ....there is so much to hear in this song ....
    love it love it love it .....
  7. Unknown Caller is yet another challenger up for best song on No Line On The Horizon.

The song, yet another long one, starts off with birdsong recorded live in real-time in Fez and a dial-tone. A full one-minute introduction greets you at the beginning of the song, and then Eno's 'generative system' starts. For those of you that don't know what that is, look it up - very interesting.

Unknown Caller starts off with Edge's 'sunshine, sunshine' vocals and for the next five or so minutes, you're transported to the mind of a man who is at the end of his tether. This could be some sort of anthem for something from the marching band. Regardless of that, throughout the song, you get the feeling you know someone who's been through a situation or in a case like this - a feeling of being lost, depression...one of those moods.

Halfway through four minutes, in comes the harpsichord and an ultimately needed solo, reminiscent of 1991's Acrobat, which has been sorely been lacking through the last three songs as good as this is (I knocked over my coffee, which happened in real-time too).

Yes, some of the lyrics are odd, but it just shows you can adapt terms such as 'Reboot yourself' and 'Move to trash' to real-life situations, which at first would seem completely strange to the uninformed, but a quick moment of thinking would explain exactly what Bono is getting at.

So this one, will remain one of my favourites for a good while. Easily deserving of a 8.5 / 10.
  8. Over produced IMO. Im not liking the overdub vocals in the chorus. First impression is 5/10 but it will probably grow. Usually its the songs that doesnt click in the beginning that becomes the best.
  9. Originally posted by Genaro92U2:Too weird? i LOVE bonos voice throughout!! OMG. the verses sound amazing. the chorus not so much. too many oohs' throughout the whole album.

What is it with the "oohs"? Is that an Eno thing?
  10. Still not getting this song, least favorite so far.. Hope it will grow.
  11. Originally posted by MoFoNYR15:Over produced IMO. Im not liking the overdub vocals in the chorus. First impression is 5/10 but it will probably grow. Usually its the songs that doesnt click in the beginning that becomes the best.

I prefer the double tracked Bono vocals on the Beach Clip myself, gives it a more atmospheric/exotic feel.

I love the "ohh ohh ohh oh ohh" vocalisations here, probably the best on the album, very tastefully done.