1. Originally posted by noiseless:[..]

    I'm not completely sure what sounds you mean. There's a lot going on in the background and some (unwanted?) sounds may have been there forever, just to be more noticeable due to a superior transfer from the master tapes.


    Probably that. It sounds like something is grinding in the foreground. It's on my original album too, so it's probably just an effect of the transfer.

    As for NLOTH, I've notice it sounds louder than it should be but a lot better than the last two albums.


    NLOTH is an album that really needs to be played on a higher-end system to hear it's genius... in my humble opinion.


    Was it Paul McGuinness who said U2 are one of the only bands making music designed for loud systems?
  2. Hey Drew, concentrate on tweeting GnR's setlist man.

    Like the discussion though
  3. Originally posted by wyn525i:I think you might need to invest in some better speakers, and not listen to the iPod with the included earbuds.(:shudders
    hahahaha, it's funny you say that precisely to Noiseless... hahahaha


  4. It's either me tweeting the setlist or this. What do you like better?

    I can't believe someone actually took notice of the tweets either. It's for a website so they can keep updated too. Come join in the fun!!!


    hahahaha, it's funny you say that precisely to Noiseless... hahahaha


    Listening is subjective. I bet if I handed him a bunch of records his experience would be different to mine. And it all depends on your setup.

    But...I bet both he, me and you would all know what is poorly recorded and what isn't. And now I know, but I tried it for fun...never, ever mix from an MP3.




    For those who don't know, that's what a decent waveform should look like. Honkin' On Bobo's ones literally have no breathing room and maybe once it breaks.
  5. Originally posted by drewhiggins:[..]

    Everything to do with what's being done to audio nowadays. So mixing, mastering and production comes into it.

    Wasn't that the case with two of the Chili albums? They were both horrible to listen to.


    Yes, but the mix is ok. I can hear everything very clearly. The only problem is in the mastering.
    Mixing is just the volume of the different noises and where they sit in the stereo audio.
    Anyway, it adds nothing to the discussion.
    Actually the volume war is one of the reasons why I dislike remasters...usually the "bad" cd that came out in the 90s is way better sounding than the "improved audio" of the remasters we get now.
  6. Originally posted by thechicken:[..]

    Yes, but the mix is ok. I can hear everything very clearly. The only problem is in the mastering.
    Mixing is just the volume of the different noises and where they sit in the stereo audio.
    Anyway, it adds nothing to the discussion.


    Don't the engineers at least tell the band or the record label or execs that it sounds worse than what it would if it had dynamics?
  7. Originally posted by drewhiggins:[..]

    Don't the engineers at least tell the band or the record label or execs that it sounds worse than what it would if it had dynamics?


    They probably do, but the big guys tell them back that the louder the better. I once read that this is mainly to make people pay more attention to your song when it is on the radio, since you will probably pay more attention to what is louder. So you always have to be louder than the other singles.

  8. Loudness war -> Bad reinvention of the volume knob
    I just want good sound, my amplifier can do the rest !

    There should be laws against to much dynamic compression.
  9. Originally posted by thechicken:[..]I once read that this is mainly to make people pay more attention to your song when it is on the radio, since you will probably pay more attention to what is louder. So you always have to be louder than the other singles.




    And then the radio stations only equalise it before playing so it sounds great on the radio.

    Then you go and get it because you like it - what happened on the radio, one wonders?
  10. Originally posted by thechicken:[..]

    They probably do, but the big guys tell them back that the louder the better. I once read that this is mainly to make people pay more attention to your song when it is on the radio, since you will probably pay more attention to what is louder. So you always have to be louder than the other singles.




    A DJ would simply bring down the fader so that the audio of all the songs match through out the entire broadcast......
  11. a thing that i always noticed about U2 songs compared with another bands/artists is that the mastering (or mix?) from some albums (Boy, TUF, TJT and AB for example) the volume is low, does anyone else thinks the same or is it only something from my head? lol

    (example: listen to bon jovi - livin' on a prayer and the next song with or without you the volume will be drastically different) or epic - faith no more and the next u2 - one
  12. Originally posted by hedyzera:a thing that i always noticed about the U2 songs compared with another bands/artists is that the mastering (or mix?) from some albums (Boy, TUF, TJT and AB for example) the volume is low, does anyone else thinks the same or is it only something from my head? lol

    (example: listen to bon jovi - livin' on a prayer and the next song with or without you the volume will be drastically different) or epic - faith no more and the next u2 - one
    Listen to any Queen album and you'll notice U2 is very loud đŸ˜‚