1. I wonder if it was just due to the demolition that took place a few years later. If there were already plans in place and they wanted to play it either because they wouldn’t really get another chance and/or to promote good publicity for the place to try and help avoid it being demolished. Totally guessing though.
  2. Originally posted by popmarter:[..]
    Not a chance the 2009 set list didn't work that's why they changed it ,I've never seen so many people sitting down in silence at a hometown gig in Dublin when they opened with Breathe ,No line,Boots and Magnificent the crowd only came to life on the next song which was Beautiful day, it was such a contrast to the Vertigo tour when they had the crowd won over on the first song.

Playing 4 tracks straight off the bat from a very poor album was a stupid choice . Brave and I admire them for doing it but this wasn’t achtung baby it was no line on the horizon which could be my least favourite u2 album .

All though breathe and no line on the horizon are tracks I go back to now and again. At the time of the tour I was in love with the album but time hasn’t been good to no line for me

3. Originally posted by deanallison:I wonder if it was just due to the demolition that took place a few years later. If there were already plans in place and they wanted to play it either because they wouldn’t really get another chance and/or to promote good publicity for the place to try and help avoid it being demolished. Totally guessing though.
    They played Sheffield because it was the start of the football season and none of the big clubs wanted their pitch to be destroyed. Rotherham were using the Don Valley at the time while their new stadium was built, and the pitch for their next game was a right mess if I remember rightly.
  4. I'm sure I remember a football team made a complaint as they found bolts or screws on the pitch during or after a game.
  5. I stand by my opinion of Don Valley Stadium on page 119 of this thread,paragraph 1.Absolute shed of a place,disgraceful venue for them to play.Thing is they must have got a safety certificate to hold such an event of this magnitude.And the amount of major artists to play there before 2009 is quite remarkable.
  6. Originally posted by SJKamal:[..]
    I'd be so up for that haha. Was supposed to see U2Baby in the empress ballroom in June but then Covid happened.

Ahh shame about that one man,if your in the north check out U2UK and if you get near Blackpool again visit Pasaje del terror!
  7. Originally posted by gmc:I stand by my opinion of Don Valley Stadium on page 119 of this thread,paragraph 1.Absolute shed of a place,disgraceful venue for them to play.Thing is they must have got a safety certificate to hold such an event of this magnitude.And the amount of major artists to play there before 2009 is quite remarkable.
    Wouldn’t surprise me if it was probably a cheap venue to hire
  8. Originally posted by kezman:[..]

Ahh shame about that one man,if your in the north check out U2UK and if you get near Blackpool again visit Pasaje del terror!
    I was there this past weekend. Safe to say I stayed around the bars and pubs instead haha.
  9. Haha just as scary
  10. Maybe Willie Williams persuaded them to do it as he is from Sheffield, he might have been on to them for years to play there and they probably thought it was a good way of honouring him and all the ground breaking stage productions he has
    has been centrally involved with that have made them the biggest touring band in history.