1. Originally posted by deanallison:[..]
    Yeah I’ll go crazy remix instead of Ultra Violet or HMTMKMKM as encore opener . That would probably be up there as the worst Setlist change ever.
    It wouldn’t have been a change if it was designed that way from the start. And no need to drop songs if just rearranging.
  2. Originally posted by iTim:But if it had always been the encore opener, can it be considered a setlist change? You’d never be any the wiser.
    Snap. I still posted the same comment anyway.
  3. Originally posted by germcevoy:[..]
    It wouldn’t have been a change if it was designed that way from the start. And no need to drop songs if just rearranging.
    But it’s the rearrangement that’s part of what would have made it a terrible change. Ultra Violet wasn’t just a great song choice on the tour it was also placed perfectly. Same with HMTMKMKM. It would have been to the detriment of the show to play anything before them in the encore.
  4. Originally posted by deanallison:[..]
    But it’s the rearrangement that’s part of what would have made it a terrible change. Ultra Violet wasn’t just a great song choice on the tour it was also placed perfectly. Same with HMTMKMKM. It would have been to the detriment of the show to play anything before them in the encore.
    I refer you to our previous points in that it couldn’t have been detrimental if we’d never known the alternative. Of course I wouldn’t swap out Ultraviolet for the Crazy remix. Simply saying that it could have been a great encore opener in its own right. The whole first minute or two would have acted as the intermission before the band took over rather than the remix and SBS segue accounting for almost 8 minutes mid set.
  5. Originally posted by germcevoy:[..]
    I refer you to our previous points in that it couldn’t have been detrimental if we’d never known the alternative. Of course I wouldn’t swap out Ultraviolet for the Crazy remix. Simply saying that it could have been a great encore opener in its own right. The whole first minute or two would have acted as the intermission before the band took over rather than the remix and SBS segue accounting for almost 8 minutes mid set.
    The segue into SBS was probably the only thing I liked about the song. That was done well and they managed to change the tone in an instance. Obviously I’ve got a very low opinion of the song in general (the remix version) but if I was to try and be more balanced and even forget about what they actually did as encore I still don’t think I’ll go crazy would have been a good shout. To me it would have almost been better being an intermission of sorts just all over the PA, the band actually playing the song live didn’t do anything for it. If they had started the tour off with it being a song over the PA and the live set was a song shorter id probably have less of an issue with it, again going by the idea that they started the tour out that way and it wasn’t a change as such.
  6. Originally posted by iTim:[..]

The turning point of the set is a mind-blasting techno remix version of the new song ‘I’ll Go Crazy If I Don’t Go Crazy Tonight’, with the Claw on full acid house lighting effect turning the stadium into a spinning mirrorball. Given that the audience is not particularly familiar with the song (let alone a dance remix), it is actually intended to create a moment of disorientation and discomfort, ending with Bono on his knees, repeatedly singing the coda “It’s not a hill, it’s a mountain”. If I’ve got this right (it was 3 am when we were having this conversation, and many Marguerites had been consumed) from that point on his protagonist has been taken out of himself, and the second act begins in which he moves from the personal to the political, wrestling with the problems of the wider world in a string of songs that includes Sunday Bloody Sunday (recast to acknowledge the protesters of Iran), Pride, Walk On and Where The Streets Have No Name.

That was kinda the point of its placing.