1. So, everyone, I decided to open a topic to discuss what you think Songs of Ascent will sond like! This is the first topic I am opening, and I don´t think there is one like this. If there is, I´m sorry...

Well, I thought it was gonna be more diferent, like the Song Kingdom that is played over the PA when they enter the stage in U2360. But, I didn´t like what I read in the Rolling Stone website today. They are saying that they want to finish the Rick Rubin sessions´stuff, which is said to sound like All That You Can´t Leave Behind... and Bono said he wants some songs on POP charts... I got really disappointed, I was expecting something even more daring than No Line, no poppish and safe stuff... I hope they finish the Fez material like Larry whishes, will be cooler...I´ve had enough of safer U2, there were 2 great albums...but when they seem to start to get more daring, this happens, they say stuff like this.... It is almost ruining my day...don´t want the next generation to know them for being a Rod Stewart style kind of band....

what are your thoughts?
  2. I agree, I'm still awaiting the next Zooropa.

Cant believe we didn't have a topic. All thoughts/rumors/rants and bullshit regarding SOA in here please
  3. Seems like since Pop, every U2 album has been a reaction to the one before it. Pop was by their standards, poor selling, so they did their big "back to basics" record. ATYCLB was a huge hit so they followed it up with a similar record. HTDAAB did well, but seemed like there were complaints about U2 stagnating so we got the more experimental NLOTH.That album is being thrown in with Pop as a dissappointment especially in the States. Every time I read about it, the fact it has not sold a million is one of the first things mentioned. So I wouldn't be shocked if SOA was an attempt to be more popular than artistic. I think ATYCLB is one of their worst, and NLOTH and Pop rank among their best, so I would love to be wrong.
  4. Originally posted by germcevoy:I agree, I'm still awaiting the next Zooropa.

Cant believe we didn't have a topic. All thoughts/rumors/rants and bullshit regarding SOA in here please

Also hoping for Zooropa II... although I think the songs will have more depth... so hoping for songs like Fez-Being Born...
  5. Originally posted by dieder:[..]

Also hoping for Zooropa II... although I think the songs will have more depth... so hoping for songs like Fez-Being Born...

Yep. let's hope they hold their nerve

(They can have one 'poppy' song - Zooropa had Stay after all).
  6. If they come out with 11 really good poppy songs ill be much happier than if they come out with an album of average "experimental" songs

7. have to agree; one of their best, never nailed live (dublin 93 is nice though) and I dont think that Stay is poppy. Some Days is poppy, Babyface maybe. But the real class of that album is Lemon.

Really curious to Every Breaking Wave.
  8. Originally posted by dieder:[..]

agreed, prob the best song on the album. Kingdom has me very excited. I want them to put out an album of weird shit, make it esoteric and indulgent, I don't care, I think that would be great. Hell, I think if they took in a Passengers direction that would be great. We'll see....
  9. I wouldn't worry too much about the "pop radio song" statement. There is at least one pop song in every U2 album, even the most daring ones. So it's all good, as long as they fit the overall mood. In my opinion, Stand Up Comedy was the big mistake on No Line. Doesn't fit at all. Boots doesn't really fit either, but somehow it works a lot better for me.

That being said, maybe Songs of Ascent won't be exactly the medidative / ambient / experimental / Zooropa 2 album we're waiting for, but I'm confident it will deliver. Any way, I can't wait.
  10. Originally posted by germcevoy:I agree, I'm still awaiting the next Zooropa.

I thought I started one a while ago and was told another already existed.

11. http://u2start.com/topic/6377/

U2 should definitely finish their Fez sessions for Songs of Ascent. They can go back to Rick Rubin some time in the future, some good songs might be there, too. But for now, I think they can make a killer album if there's stuff which sounds like Fez - Being Born and Kingdom on it.