1. Originally posted by SisterTheMoon:[..]

No one is innocent of fabricating lies and this person is no different. We began a conversation about this topic and it turned into something interesting. And in forums such as this, where we can mask ourselves behind the computer, I thought I'd put out the question.

Can they be truthful - and how would you know - or is it something far deeper in which they don't want to admit to?

This will be an interesting discussion. Don't close it.

2. Dude, that's...deep
  3. Because mankind is the most ridiculous species to have come into existence.

At least, that's what I think.
  4. Because people tend to imagine the perfect situation. Since 99% of times this perfect situation cant be achieved it's better to lie. You know its wrong, you know it'll get back at you, but for that moment it can give you a great feeling.
    The truth is boring, hard and tough.
    Our imagination makes life interesting, exciting and beautiful.

"John, how much more can we invest this year?"
    "Well sir, I certainly think that would be 150% more then last year"
    "Good job John, if you get it done I'll give you one big bonus!"
    You get my point
  5. Originally posted by SisterTheMoon:[..]

No one is innocent of fabricating lies and this person is no different. We began a conversation about this topic and it turned into something interesting. And in forums such as this, where we can mask ourselves behind the computer, I thought I'd put out the question.

The truth can be hard to tell often because the truth is something people don't want to hear. Lies can be easier for everyone. It could be argued that society would fall apart without the polite fictions we all rely on. We all want to believe that our love will keep our loved ones from being unhappy, that if we do certain things, believe certain things, obey certain rules then our lives will be wonderful. None of that is actually true.

Lies are both social glue and grease. If I find someone (say, my sister's husband) profoundly unlikeable, what value is there in being truthful about that? It would only cause her pain and damage our relationship, because she loves him no matter how much of a wanker I think he is. A polite lie is really the only choice.

Of course then there are the lies which are just self-serving and manipulative (see also: Politics, History of.). I think we tell those when we've convinced ourselves that what we want is more important than anything else.
  6. Here's a shot of truth from an 18 year U2 fan. And forgive me if this is in the wrong forum discussion. First time poster. Since when has U2 worried or cared about Billboard Charts and Radio Airplay? I've been following this tour from the beginning, watching interviews and reading articles. And one thing I kept hearing Bono say was " we want to stay away from our last 2 albums and give them a rest, we are really excited to play our new material on the next tour". But so far (and just look at the setlists) they have chosen the safest songs to play, plus they've played atleast 4 tracks per show from ATYCLB and atleast 2 from HTDAAB. They play only 3 trks each from arguably their best albums AB and Joshua Tree. Nothing from Pop and nothing from Zooropa. Its almost like they are afraid to play anything from these albums. I don't undersrtand why they don't play Unknown Caller anymore, I don't understand why they don't play the original Crazy Tonight or White as Snow or atleast change the ending song of their shows with Cedars of Lebanon. We don't hear for example "Please" or "Daddys gonna pay for your crashed car" or "Do you feel loved?"or even some from Joshua like "Running to stand still" or "Exit". Just because they weren't all singles doesn't mean you can't play them. Which brings me back to my point,why are they playing to their radio audience and not the fans that have stuck with them through every album? Bono even said their next album "Songs of Ascent" they wanna have a really good radio single! This doesn't sound like the U2 I fell in love with. I think they need to "go away and dream it all up again!". Thanks for your time. let the flaming begin.
  7. Because so much of our world is based on the purpose of White Lies for comftability and ease.
    Speaking the truth is often the most difficult thing, but is usually the right thing and is always the right thing when it involves a matter of our conscience and decisions.

8. Is Bono posting on u2Start?

I'm intrigued by the topic - - - Add Edge, Larry and Adam for the next single.
  9. Originally posted by goooober:Here's a shot of truth from an 18 year U2 fan. And forgive me if this is in the wrong forum discussion. First time poster. Since when has U2 worried or cared about Billboard Charts and Radio Airplay? I've been following this tour from the beginning, watching interviews and reading articles. And one thing I kept hearing Bono say was " we want to stay away from our last 2 albums and give them a rest, we are really excited to play our new material on the next tour". But so far (and just look at the setlists) they have chosen the safest songs to play, plus they've played atleast 4 tracks per show from ATYCLB and atleast 2 from HTDAAB. They play only 3 trks each from arguably their best albums AB and Joshua Tree. Nothing from Pop and nothing from Zooropa. Its almost like they are afraid to play anything from these albums. I don't undersrtand why they don't play Unknown Caller anymore, I don't understand why they don't play the original Crazy Tonight or White as Snow or atleast change the ending song of their shows with Cedars of Lebanon. We don't hear for example "Please" or "Daddys gonna pay for your crashed car" or "Do you feel loved?"or even some from Joshua like "Running to stand still" or "Exit". Just because they weren't all singles doesn't mean you can't play them. Which brings me back to my point,why are they playing to their radio audience and not the fans that have stuck with them through every album? Bono even said their next album "Songs of Ascent" they wanna have a really good radio single! This doesn't sound like the U2 I fell in love with. I think they need to "go away and dream it all up again!". Thanks for your time. let the flaming begin.

First of all, welcome from another newbie

I don't think anyone's going to flame you for your frustration. I think most of us who've been fans of this band for a while now have probably had a little gnash of the teeth from time to time over the difference between what Bono says they're going to do and what actually happens. FWIW, I don't think he deliberately lies about these things; it's just he opens his mouth and words come out. They are playing it safe to a degree (though one could argue that Your Blue Room was quite a risky choice) which I think may in part be a result of playing to such huge audiences of largely 'casual' fans who don't know the deeper cuts. If you were at the Chicago show where they played YBR for the first time you might have noticed the look on Bono's face when the song ended to a moment of silence. It wasn't a happy look. The majority of the audience simply didn't know the song.

[Can I take a moment to correct you about one thing? They have played one song from Zooropa this tour. They've played Stay (Far Away So Close) on a few occasions now. And I believe they played Unknown Caller tonight in Oklahoma.]

My point (and I do have one amongst all the waffling) is that no performer wants to displease an audience. Performance is communication and communication is a two-way street. It's no fun singing to people who are walking out on you. IMO, they've chosen the songs from the new album most likely to appeal to a live audience (except maybe Moment of Surrender, I'm still not sold on it live). And I think that's been the criteria for most of their choices from the back catalogue also. Could they widen the setlist to include more songs? Hell, yeah. But I wouldn't hold my breath that they're going to.
  10. Originally posted by SisterTheMoon:Why is it that we come to find the truth in unexpected places? In unexpected aquaintances?
    And what are we to do with new discoveries of someone we know that has been lied too?

Let's ask Bono his dime on this:

"Don't believe the devil, but the Truth is not the same without the lies he made up"

"You only get delusioned if you only have ilusions to start with" (interview, ca. 1992)
  11. Thank you for the kind welcome!

I know they played Stay (acoustic version)on the tour, and Im surprised they played Unknown caller in Oklahoma. I'm sure Bono doesnt deliberately lie about things but he sure does do the exact opposite of what he says most of the time. I understand that you can't change the set list around that much due to lighting/video choreography, but you can at least switch around the acoustic songs which don't need anything to accompany them. And as for playing "YOUR BLUE ROOM", I love that track but I'm not sure its a live track. I would think " STATELESS" from Million Dollar Hotel would've been a better choice. I'm sure there must be a reason why "ACROBAT" hasn't been thrown in this tour. I also think they should throw in Electrical Storm again. Basically what I'm trying to get at is that U2 needs to be themselves and be non apologetic to their audience. They should be proud of their new album. They are kicking ass even after 30+ years and I am hoping that their newest creations go beyond their own line on the horizon.