1. Originally posted by sonia_lastrega:[..]

I think people can be aware of your feelings without asking you outright about them. Particularly if they know you well. And no one likes to think the people whose opinion they value think they've made bad choices. In the end it doesn't really matter what I think in this situation, until it becomes a thing where it's not about what I think of him, but what I think of her choices. I might come clean if asked, but I might also consider discretion the greater part of valour and nod and smile politely.

You are quite right about those close may not need to ask. They just know.
    Of course it may sting us a bit if those whose opinions we value, think a bad choice was made but sometimes, it can help us look at things from a different perspective.
    I agree that it most likely could become a matter of what you think of her choices. And yes, we all come face to face with whether or not to consider discretion...and just smile politely.
  2. My philosiphy is too always be honest. It'll piss of people in the short term, but if they're really your friends, they'll appreciate it in the long run. I'm the most too the point person I know.
  3. Originally posted by wtshnnfb01:My philosiphy is too always be honest. It'll piss of people in the short term, but if they're really your friends, they'll appreciate it in the long run. I'm the most too the point person I know.

I completely agree but one has to keep in mind that there can be a difference in the way in which you tell the truth-intentions behind telling the truth.
    And yes, if they're really your friends, they may not of course like hearing what you have to say, but they'll at least know (hopefully so) that you have their best interest at heart.

I 'd like to think that, in general, most people have the philosophy to always be honest but that doesn't mean they always live up to this, does it? Should a distinction be made between the type of lie we may be tempted to tell and/or does it make a difference. Say, a "white lie", or "stretching the truth" or a "subtle" lie" or perhaps "avoiding telling a lie" by simply not saying anything?

4. Intresting points.
  5. Originally posted by SisterTheMoon:[..]

I Should a distinction be made between the type of lie we may be tempted to tell and/or does it make a difference. Say, a "white lie", or "stretching the truth" or a "subtle" lie" or perhaps "avoiding telling a lie" by simply not saying anything?

I think so. I think sometimes people who tell the bald truth no matter what the effect do so with only their own interests at heart and no consideration of the feelings of others. Sometimes saying nothing is kinder and better for everyone.
  6. Originally posted by sonia_lastrega:[..]

I think so. I think sometimes people who tell the bald truth no matter what the effect do so with only their own interests at heart and no consideration of the feelings of others. Sometimes saying nothing is kinder and better for everyone.

Good point. It's quite a tricky predicament isn't it?
    There is also the case sometimes where people will be completely truthful in order to feel better-to rid themselves of guilt you could say. So, in a case like this, it's a selfish truth.
  7. Has anyone here studied Zen?
  8. I have. I try to apply it a little bit in my everyday life.
  9. It's a lifechanging philosophy.
    Do you meditate?
  10. Not with crossed legs and all the stuff but yes, at the end (and if I have time, at the start) of the day I spend some ¿minutes? (I really don't know how much time since I turn off the clocks and the phone to sleep) cleansing the mind and thinking about all and about nothing.
  11. @JuJuman: It's here
  12. Nice and quiet here...

So...Wittgenstein once would have said that, "when philosophers meet, they should take their time..."

But seven years is quite a stretch...