1. Originally posted by BigGiRL:Nice and quiet here...

So...Wittgenstein once would have said that, "when philosophers meet, they should take their time..."

But seven years is quite a stretch...
    Was it not Wittgenstein who said 'Where one cannot speak, one must be silent.'
    Maybe the philosophers are now getting that seven year itch?
  2. Originally posted by ELIZIUM:[..]
    Was it not Wittgenstein who said 'Where one cannot speak, one must be silent.'
    Maybe the philosophers are now getting that seven year itch?
    "The unsayable, however, does exist. This shows itself, it is the mystical" (6.522).
  3. Someone knows the Tractatus well.
  4. Wittgenstein's Tractatus was (and I think it still is) mandatory for all first year Philosophy studends at the University Of Amsterdam (UVA). Still a fascinating book with lots of hidden gems. A book that can be read sort of backwards as well - and a book that promotes itself as being obsolete when comprehended...

Anyway, looks to be that @JuJuman is also familiar with it...

Originally posted by JuJuman:[..]

Cheers! On my way to a philosophy conference, to celebrate my PhD supervisor who prematurely passed away last year.

I mostly work on the philosophy of logic, but I am also interested in epistemology and the philosophy of language. I research and teach logic and philosophy for a living, but I still feel like - I am! - a complete amateur...

I hope my employer doesn’t see this list! ;-)
    I quoted you from the Landlady topic as to implement our conversation to this part of U2Start.

I always loved Philosophy Of Language and was in fact my strongest subject. And UVA is ofcourse tied to the ILLC, so lots of great teachers. In fact I wrote my thesis partly under the umbella of the Philosophy Of Language department. My focus (and interest) was, however, on the Continental side of Language Philosophy. Late 18th Century Philosophy of Language to be precise. A bit of an odd-ball nowadays, but I always had great support from my supervisors.

I graduated in 2014, so the main question now is: what is a girl like me doing in a place like this