1. Big bump here but it seems like a fairly appropriate place...

I’ve been listening to a bootleg per tour recently and I noticed on several recent shows - at least from Vertigo, 360, i+e - that Bono changes the lyric in I Will Follow from “I was looking at myself” on the album to “I was caught at a stoplight”. I’d noticed this before but it just struck me again and made me wonder... when did he start doing that? Does he still sing it that way, or sing the album line at all?

I guess because I Will Follow is such a “standard” song it’s easy to not pay close attention to it which is why I can’t answer this one for myself right away. Thanks for any help!
  2. I think it’s been ‘caught at a stoplight’ for a while now, there’s also ‘you look through the window of my soul’ lyric change too instead of ‘i was looking through the window’ , I think I will follow is probably one of my favourite examples of lyric changes in songs. I don’t know if it adds to it for me but it certainly doesn’t make it worse whereas other songs the lyric changes can bother me more.
  3. Originally posted by deanallison:I think it’s been ‘caught at a stoplight’ for a while now, there’s also ‘you look through the window of my soul’ lyric change too instead of ‘i was looking through the window’ , I think I will follow is probably one of my favourite examples of lyric changes in songs. I don’t know if it adds to it for me but it certainly doesn’t make it worse whereas other songs the lyric changes can bother me more.
    Oh, there is that one too, forgot about it. I personally love the "we come here to surrender" addition before the "your eyes" bit, that really adds a lot for me.
  4. Originally posted by CMIPalaeo:Big bump here but it seems like a fairly appropriate place...

I’ve been listening to a bootleg per tour recently and I noticed on several recent shows - at least from Vertigo, 360, i+e - that Bono changes the lyric in I Will Follow from “I was looking at myself” on the album to “I was caught at a stoplight”. I’d noticed this before but it just struck me again and made me wonder... when did he start doing that? Does he still sing it that way, or sing the album line at all?

I guess because I Will Follow is such a “standard” song it’s easy to not pay close attention to it which is why I can’t answer this one for myself right away. Thanks for any help!
    Yeah, it's been like that for years now. I didn't know he had started as soon as Vertigo Tour, I think the first time I realized that was while listening to 2010 bootlegs. If he started doing it at Vertigo maybe it had to do with Bob's death? Not sure.
  5. "You got spirit i got soul we got some big ideas were out of control" i+e right??

One of the most powerful after 9/11 "come september alot can change,summer love turns to winters pain in new york"
  6. Originally posted by kezman:"You got spirit i got soul we got some big ideas were out of control" i+e right??

One of the most powerful after 9/11 "come september alot can change,summer love turns to winters pain in new york"
    He was singing that in OOC on the Elevation Tour.
  7. I notice for the slane version of out of control he kinda mumbles the lyrics at that bit. I’ve listened to the u22 version though and he was singing they lyrics then as well. Never been a big fan of the New York lyrics change. Always seemed a bit forced to me so I only really listen to the versions of that earlier in the tour unless I’m doing a full run through a show.