1. Nice job Eyeswithpride! Nice topic too!

2. Thanks! Name's Matt, if you'd rather. And as far as the guitar work in that song, it's about 97% taken from another piece that's actually posted on the thread "Can anyone identify this fake U2 leak?", along with a whole discussion about it being used, etc.
  3. Hot off the presses; got the idea for this last night when I actually misheard a lyric to a song, and realized that what I was hearing would work very well in a song I was tossing around in my head. Written half in my head as I was falling asleep, and half right now- the roughest of drafts, but I hope you enjoy. Lots of clean electric guitar work is gonna be put behind this one, very bluesy.

This is a bluesy, desperate song called "Revolver"

Revolver

[verse]
    once
    maybe just one time
    i'll walk the streets of love
    without walking the line

but you've cleaned out the chambers
    and loaded one round
    pulled back the hammer
    and watched me go down

[chorus 1]
    you put your revolver to my head
    put your revolver to my head

[verse]
    but us,
    baby you and me
    we're so much less alike
    than you refuse to see

you ask me to tell you
    who you really are
    but you cry when i reach for words
    and grab my guitar
    so put your revolver to my head

[chorus 2]
    and ask me what my latest name is
    and if i hesitate, maybe i'm better off dead

[solo/escalading]
    [bridge]
    and maybe i'm an amateur
    a connoisseur of failure
    a book that you've already read

[quieter version of chorus]
    and ask me what my latest name is
    and if i hesitate, maybe i'm better off dead

[stays quiet]
    my heart pounds the mattress,
    springs creak in your ear
    and you know that my love
    is your ship to steer
    put your revolver to my head...

4. I love it, specially the bridge (very Dylan-ish, isn't it?? Lovely!!)!!! I can't think of any music for that, though ..... I wish you can

5. I've got it in my head, but I'm hoping most of it will come naturally, as almost an improvisational feel...not necessarily textbook chords, one after another. I've got a couple lines down solid. This is my main focus right now.

The bridge is also my favorite part

EDIT/Update: It's also in 3/4 time, which may make it harder to understand in terms of interpreting some sort of pattern to it, but dont worry- hopefully, you'll hear it soon enough.
  6. Matt, why do you write such sad songs? The "you cry when I reach for words" is mmmmm And the whole song is really sad

7. You know I've thought about that myself. I don't know if it's just that they're easier or something, or if my personal experiences have just deal more with troubles...not too sure.

I've written a handful of more fun songs, namely one called "Lucy", about me being on a cruise and having this sort of sight-based relationship with a girl named Lucy who always showed up at the teen club...one night, she was wearing this beautiful, royal blue dress, and that combined with the fact that I'd never actually met anyone named Lucy before was enough to get me to talk to her, and well, it made for a good song

Also have "Take Me to the City" written, but don't know if I'll be using that title/music from that fake U2 video, because I've sort of reconceptualized it, but it's about my current girlfriend, and it's definitely a persistent love song about staying together while she's away at school.

Some of the "sadder" songs I've written are actually more good-riddance type of songs, where it's not really pissed off...it's just....sort of happy that somebody/something's gone, and often times without the energy behind how its heard, the lyrics can read as sort of sad. "The Irish Ballad of Molly Pitcher" fits this perfectly, as the music and rhythm feel like an old Irish drinking song, and yet the lyrics are about abandoning somebody- but not without reason.

But yeah, in answer to your original question- I just don't know. I think I've been in certain, specific situations that have had such lasting impacts on me that have involved hurt, that it's easier to pinpoint a feeling down to it, therefore making the song come easier. This isn't to say I'm naturally unhappy- it's just that sometimes those are triggered more by some spark I get.

For example, "Hold your little revolver to my head" was actually what I thought was a lyric to a song I was listening to last night; turned out it was "Hold your love over my head". I realized I really liked the lyric that I heard, and it obviously fit a sadder song better, so I channeled that emotion and just wrote.
  8. Wow, that was amazing. I think you really have shown and opened yourself, sincere congrats

I love sad songs but I've seen that some (most?) of your lyrics are way too sad No worries, and of course no offense intended.
  9. Here is my latest. It doesn't sound very serious, it looks like more of a poem than a song.

PseudoCog

No just for men
    No funk for punk
    No take a peak
    Or taste of tea

No love for none
    No none free peep
    No ton of fun
    Or guns for fun

Always 9:52 (Let's be late)
    Always 9:52 (Be bad with me)

All in the smoker's room
    All in for no free ride
    All hands inside the car
    All rooms within a head

Five thousand friends
    All new IMs
    It's just for men
    All be gone for men

Always 9:52 (Let's be late)
    Always 9:52 (Be bad with me)
  10. Very inventive, Nick, that's quite abstract, but I like it very much. Sort of reminds me of the first time I heard "Fez"....different, and I can't pinpoint exactly what it is that draws me to it because it's so different...but I like it alot.

Not saying that it's really anything literally LIKE "Fez", but its just a similar feeling. You get the idea.

All in all, though, very cool!
  11. Originally posted by EyesWithPrideB3:Very inventive, Nick, that's quite abstract, but I like it very much. Sort of reminds me of the first time I heard "Fez"....different, and I can't pinpoint exactly what it is that draws me to it because it's so different...but I like it alot.

Not saying that it's really anything literally LIKE "Fez", but its just a similar feeling. You get the idea.

All in all, though, very cool!

Cool, thanks! That's mainly what I was going for, a new "emotion." A song that you're not too sure about what you're supposed to feel after listening to it. The beauty about it is, I think, is the fact that you can make almost whatever you want of it; you could easily argue that it is a dark song, but when viewed in the right perspective, it could just as easily be thankful.

I know what you meant.
  12. Originally posted by U2Nick:[..]

Cool, thanks! That's mainly what I was going for, a new "emotion." A song that you're not too sure about what you're supposed to feel after listening to it. The beauty about it is, I think, is the fact that you can make almost whatever you want of it; you could easily argue that it is a dark song, but when viewed in the right perspective, it could just as easily be thankful.

I know what you meant.

Songs like this are always the greatest; I should really try to write something like that sometime. That's where the glory of music usually shows through, is when it can be so widely interpreted and therefore personalized over and over again.