1. Grief and I first met, when I was young.
    His pocket trick, was to block out the sun.
    Wasn't a parlour trick for too long.
    Now its gone, and it's been gone - for some time.

My only friends are in my dreams.
    There, light still flickers, beneath the seams.

But I'm so weak now that I can't bare, little more than drawing air.

So Valiri, Valiri.
    Won't you come and sing to me?
    Won't you nurse my head?

Oh Valiri, Valiri.
    My singular, my sanity.
    You raise me from my own death.

-

I'm not a romantic anymore.
    No, there's nothing that I'd fight for.
    Family, maybe, and for gold.
    You raise me from my own death (from the cold)

Was it a game of luck, did I roll the dice?
    To set the path that I followed 'til I met your eyes.
    Will you be my glory or my demise?
    Couldn't care less, until the day I die.

So Valiri, Valiri.
    Won't you come and sing to me?
    Won't you nurse my head?

Oh Valiri, Valiri.
    My singular, my sanity.

-

Is fear really the heart of love?
    Could I be what you were dreaming of?
    Does purpose linger behind all of this?
    Will you take my hand, or just my kiss?
  2. Can't write (or even read) music but sometimes I write song lyrics... I've got lots of imaginary albums in my head, styles and sounds and themes...

This first one would be from a sort of concept album adapting The Great Gatsby, it would be a slow, jazz-rock number, sort of The Troubles-meets-Sinatra Sings For Only the Lonely.

So Long, Old Sport

I told you they’re a rotten crowd
    And you’re worth the whole damn bunch
    I can’t help hearing the weight of those words echo in my head
    After I headed over to see you for our lunch

Autumn was on the approach
    But you tried to take it all in hand
    You tried to make that summer eternal
    I guess we can’t all get what we’ve planned

It was the last chance, you’d said, as you went out
    You had the phone by the pool, but she was never gonna call
    And you’d never hear the ring
    When the water was as red as the leaves of the coming fall

Love is blind, and you went out trying not to see
    The green light was out, and all the people who loved you then forget you now
    So long, old sport, you’ll always be great to me

- - - -

As for this one, it's meant to be an homage to new wave/alternative rock music/bands in general (The Police reference in there, etc) but it was especially meant to be a sort of tribute to our band, and especially to the vibes of Achtung Baby. In my head, this one sounds a bit grungy, it's all distorted and electronic, sort of 'industrial blues.'

U2 Line

The world is running down
    Can you feel it?
    I’m a leper in your head
    Can you heal it?

Baby, I’m drifting, I don’t know where
    Baby, won’t you draw me in to you?
    Eleven o’clock tick tock, I know it’s time to go
    So I guess nothing else is new

Don’t touch that dial
    Or you’ll miss the evening’s death report
    Don’t touch that rail
    To see if the circuit’s really short

Are you under good grace
    In times like these?
    Or will they spit in your face
    Put you on your knees

When you follow your heroes
    What is it that you really follow?
    When you think you’re hard enough
    It all gets so much harder to swallow

Baby, I’m drifting, I don’t know where
    Maybe it’s the same with you
    Where we’re going we don’t have a clue

Follow the sound
    Overground
    Stop to check you’re fighting the right fight
    It’s looking down
    Underground
    Was uncertainty the best guiding light?

As you cruise in your tube
    Through the belly of the city
    You see your face reflected in the window
    Do you see someone to pity?

They say that imitation is the sincerest form of praise
    And maybe it could even make you great
    What about in times like these when the world’s coming down
    All we do is hover at the gate

Baby, I’m drifting down the line and starting to get lost
    And I think maybe it’s overdue
    So I’ll get off at the next stop with you
  3. I'll try posting this here seeing as much it didn't get as much traction as I'd hoped in the dedicated post I made for it:

Hey guys!

So some of you know that I'm a song writer, I've been in various bands and have posted multiple recordings here. But this is sort of the BIG ONE.

Ever since I fell in love with U2, not just their music but their story, I've had the dream of making a life out of music. This is sort of my latest and greatest attempt, and I'd love for you guys to check it out and if you like it, just let me know. Tell me what you think of it. Be honest, etc. If you LOVE it, well, it'd be super dandy if you could help spread it around. Tell a friend about it, show someone who might like it, etc.

Anyway, without further ado, here it is: https://soundcloud.com/xandbmusic/sets/nostalgia-ep. It'll only take up 12 minutes of your time to listen to the whole thing, but I think each song can stand on its own two feet as well if that's all the time you have.

In the end, we all have a similar music taste!

Thanks guys!
  4. First impressions from one time through: I think I like Blue Sunset most, then All This Time, then Landing Lights least. I feel the U2 influence strong in the lyrics and vocals and Edge in the guitar. I'm a fan of ambiance and some of the keyboard music of the '80s (new order, omd, pet shop boys) so I guess I fall into your demographic. You got the mood thing down pretty well, they're fun little dancy/synthy tracks. You really reminded me a lot of another indie project I came across a few years ago here: https://soundcloud.com/wearehyena

I might say that it could be a little too U2, Bono doesn't hold the rights to belting out "tonight!!!!" but I do get a very Unforgettable Fire vibe from the vocals overall. I'd love to hear a song with something a little more laid back and with some more restraint on the energy. But very good job and if you get around to making more do share again! I enjoyed it.
  5. Originally posted by NeonTiger64:First impressions from one time through: I think I like Blue Sunset most, then All This Time, then Landing Lights least. I feel the U2 influence strong in the lyrics and vocals and Edge in the guitar. I'm a fan of ambiance and some of the keyboard music of the '80s (new order, omd, pet shop boys) so I guess I fall into your demographic. You got the mood thing down pretty well, they're fun little dancy/synthy tracks. You really reminded me a lot of another indie project I came across a few years ago here: https://soundcloud.com/wearehyena

I might say that it could be a little too U2, Bono doesn't hold the rights to belting out "tonight!!!!" but I do get a very Unforgettable Fire vibe from the vocals overall. I'd love to hear a song with something a little more laid back and with some more restraint on the energy. But very good job and if you get around to making more do share again! I enjoyed it.
    Hey, thank you VERY much for taking the time to listen and critique, it really means a lot.

Funny you should mention the U2 influence. Of the people I've shown, only one other person said that. Not that I'm denying it, but it may be one of those things that if you know it, you hear it. But I suppose I'm not insulted by the fact that my vocals are reminiscent of Unforgettable Fire (in style, not skill).

I do have a few other songs written that are more cooled off that I'm planning to record. But I thought the biggest and "catchiest" would be best suited to an initial release.

Glad you enjoyed it
  6. Very subtle things I suppose but the feeling of U2 is very much there. Something about the opening seconds of All This Time almost had me expecting the 'oooo's from ASOH from Wide Awake in America. There's also some edge sounding chords and rhythmic muted strumming and maybe a little bias from the site I was linked the songs haha.
  7. Originally posted by NeonTiger64:Very subtle things I suppose but the feeling of U2 is very much there. Something about the opening seconds of All This Time almost had me expecting the 'oooo's from ASOH from Wide Awake in America. There's also some edge sounding chords and rhythmic muted strumming and maybe a little bias from the site I was linked the songs haha.
    Haha fair enough! I certainly won't deny that they're the heaviest influence, how could they not be? And Edge is the reason I started playing guitar too :p
  8. Wrote something over the weekend - been listening to lots of bluesy 3/4 stuff of late. Certainly not a finished thing (and as demos go it's a bit rough around the edges) and will probably change shape, all/any feedback welcome

https://soundcloud.com/hjwoj/let-you-down-again-demo
  9. @Alex! http://www.u2start.com/topic/by-post/676085/
    Also... Would it be possible to get the lyrics for these wonderful songs?

@Harry nice number! I'm obsessed too with time signatures lately, specially 3/4, so I definitely feel you. Having the lyric sheet over the piano on the "cover art" was a nice touch too