1. Are they going to continue releasing these 2 disc remastered versions of all their albums like they did with joshua tree, boy, war, october, etc....? Because if they do i would assume achtung baby would be next right? Achtung baby really needs to be remastered, it's been like 19 years since it came out (so maybe they'll do it next year for the 20th anniversary?) and they're still printing the same cd they have been since the day it came out? that's rediculous. and it's so quiet, i've tried listening to it on my ipod while mowing the lawn before and i have to turn it up all the way and i can still bearly hear it over the lawnmower!
    so what do you guys think? will they re-release it anytime soon? or wait untill next year? or maybe just not do it for awhile?
  2. Rumor is AB will be out in September

3. Really?! That would be amazing!!!
    seems weird that that they wouldn't wait another few months for the 20th anniversary right?
  4. Originally posted by I_LIKE_U2:Really?! That would be amazing!!!
    seems weird that that they wouldn't wait another few months for the 20th anniversary right?
    It's a rumour after all... I don't think they'll release it until 2011, that would be the most logical move (even though U2 don't seem to be guided by the Logic lately )
  5. if they are planning to release it by september they'll probably delay it until 2011. thats how u2 works
  6. Originally posted by I_LIKE_U2and they're still printing the same cd they have been since the day it came out? that's rediculous. and it's so quiet, i've tried listening to it on my ipod while mowing the lawn before and i have to turn it up all the way and i can still bearly hear it over the lawnmower!
    so what do you guys think? will they re-release it anytime soon? or wait untill next year? or maybe just not do it for awhile?

If they get louder with remastering then there's a chance they'll clip and you have the same problems that we've had on the last three records.

So leaving them at the level they were recorded at is the way to go. The Unforgettable Fire and The Joshua Tree were perfect examples.
  7. Joshua's loudness was raised significantly, wasn't it?
  8. Originally posted by drewhiggins:[..]

If they get louder with remastering then there's a chance they'll clip and you have the same problems that we've had on the last three records.

So leaving them at the level they were recorded at is the way to go. The Unforgettable Fire and The Joshua Tree were perfect examples.

i guess i still wont be listening to it while mowing the lawn then, oh well at least it will sound better, and hopefully we'll get some new b-sides or something

9. The JT remaster definitely has an increased sound level. You can now make playlists with more recent albums and not notice the different in volume between tracks. This wasn't the case with the CD I bought in 1989.

Like many, I'm not too concerned about the sound quality of the actual Achtung Baby LP. I'm more interested in which live show(s) they add to the deluxe editions...but THAT's been done on another thread.
  10. Originally posted by RUMMY:[..]

The JT remaster definitely has an increased sound level. You can now make playlists with more recent albums and not notice the different in volume between tracks. This wasn't the case with the CD I bought in 1989.

Like many, I'm not too concerned about the sound quality of the actual Achtung Baby LP. I'm more interested in which live show(s) they add to the deluxe editions...but THAT's been done on another thread.

Not too loud though, it's just right. I would have increased it maybe 0.1% louder but that's just me.

Zooropa has the best mastering; a perfect sound volume and the sonics on that album (I've not had the pleasure of hearing the LP so I don't know what the difference is like there) is magnificent - I mean, what other U2 album can you hear the snare and drums perfectly and even something that sounds like an echo chamber (the same happened with a lot of early 90s releases - Dangerous was one). You won't hear much over a lawnmower anyway; trust me, even people shouting to me I can't hear over ours. Turning it up has the effect of still keeping dynamics, not throwing them out.

The early three remasters are the worst and I'd hope they'd never do anything like those again. They do clean up the gritty sound - October is definitely a shining example, but they're way too loud and they clip; the originals don't. No idea whether that's a flaw within the original tapes but surely someone like Edge, who likely can hear the difference between a poorly and greatly mastered recording, didn't pick it up.

See how the big albums, the important ones, have good remastering? You could always make them really loud and then have people complaining about the poor sound quality. I'd be one of them - some albums I have I won't listen to all that often because they're so loud and even turning them right down, everything is just a brick wall. Audio needs to be mastered decently, not turned up so loud it's impossible to hear everything. The loudness wars have already affected several potentially great albums and yet it continues.
  11. Originally posted by drewhiggins:[..]

Not too loud though, it's just right. I would have increased it maybe 0.1% louder but that's just me.

Zooropa has the best mastering; a perfect sound volume and the sonics on that album (I've not had the pleasure of hearing the LP so I don't know what the difference is like there) is magnificent - I mean, what other U2 album can you hear the snare and drums perfectly and even something that sounds like an echo chamber (the same happened with a lot of early 90s releases - Dangerous was one). You won't hear much over a lawnmower anyway; trust me, even people shouting to me I can't hear over ours. Turning it up has the effect of still keeping dynamics, not throwing them out.

The early three remasters are the worst and I'd hope they'd never do anything like those again. They do clean up the gritty sound - October is definitely a shining example, but they're way too loud and they clip; the originals don't. No idea whether that's a flaw within the original tapes but surely someone like Edge, who likely can hear the difference between a poorly and greatly mastered recording, didn't pick it up.

See how the big albums, the important ones, have good remastering? You could always make them really loud and then have people complaining about the poor sound quality. I'd be one of them - some albums I have I won't listen to all that often because they're so loud and even turning them right down, everything is just a brick wall. Audio needs to be mastered decently, not turned up so loud it's impossible to hear everything. The loudness wars have already affected several potentially great albums and yet it continues.

What does "clip" mean? Does it imply that the song ends early or it does flow nicely into the next track? Just curious.