1. I just read the bootleg FAQ, but I need help with something. Although I have a Premium User account at RapidShare, I have just started learning how to download music from the Internet. So keep that in mind if you decide to help me. This is my first time using the site to download a U2 concert. I want to download the August 15, 2009 U2 concert in London. On the AUDIO page, I chose the second option, which is titled Audience recording (MP3) - Chris Voyney. I clicked on Download 4.5-star part I. A new browser opened up and I saw that the file name ended with .rar

To me, that meant I had to do what the bootleg FAQ instructed me to do in one of its answers. The bootleg FAQ says the WinRAR is a freeware tool which I can download for free at www.rarlabs.com. I clicked on the www.rarlabs.com link. But I don’t know what to do once I have been taken to that website. What are the specific steps to download the WinRAR freeware tool?

I am thankful to have a chance to acquire this U2 music. I just want to make sure I follow the correct procedure. Remember, I am not an expert. Please explain step-by-step.
  2. Once you're on that website, there's a light blue box to the left with the options "Home," "RAR," "Downloads," and "Dealers." Click the "Downloads" link. It will take you to a screen that has a lot of different links in list form (you can see it's separated into different languages as you go further down the page). If you're using Windows, click the very first link that's on the top of the page under "English WinRAR and RAR release" - the name of the link is "WinRAR x86 (32 bit) 3.93." When you click it, a box will come up asking if you wan to run or save the program. Click "Save" and choose wherever you want to save it to on your computer. It will save very quickly.

When it's done downloading, open it up - there will be a box asking you to install it. Click "Install." Another box will pop up, giving you a list of files types that it can open (for example, 7-zip). Make sure they're all checked off, then click ok. It should then install pretty quickly. Another box should pop up saying "WinRAR has successfully been installed," or something to that effect. And that's it!

Hpe that helps - let us know if anything doesn't work with those steps.
  3. Thank you very much for the quick reply. I will now try to follow the steps you provided. I will post again with my result.
  4. I encountered something different from your explanation so I stopped. I returned to this forum to find out what to do. Let me explain.

The WinRAR x86 (32 bit) 3.93 program saved to the Downloads folder. I went to the Downloads folder and I saw it. It appeared as wrar393.exe

I right-clicked on it and selected Open. However, the box did not mention anything about Install. Instead, the box said:
    The publisher could not be verified. Are you sure you want to run this software?

It gave me two choices: Run or Cancel

If I choose Run, is that the same as installing it?
  5. Originally posted by columbiaeagle:I encountered something different from your explanation so I stopped. I returned to this forum to find out what to do. Let me explain.

The WinRAR x86 (32 bit) 3.93 program saved to the Downloads folder. I went to the Downloads folder and I saw it. It appeared as wrar393.exe

I right-clicked on it and selected Open. However, the box did not mention anything about Install. Instead, the box said:
    The publisher could not be verified. Are you sure you want to run this software?

It gave me two choices: Run or Cancel

If I choose Run, is that the same as installing it?

It would be the first step to installing
  6. OK, I finished the installation of the WinRAR x86 (32 bit) 3.93 program. Everything appeared to go smoothly. At this point, can I delete wrar393.exe from the Downloads folder?
  7. Originally posted by columbiaeagle:OK, I finished the installation of the WinRAR x86 (32 bit) 3.93 program. Everything appeared to go smoothly. At this point, can I delete wrar393.exe from the Downloads folder?

No, because that's the actual program you need to extract the files. That's going to stay on your computer - everytime you download a RAR file, that's the program that's going to open it.

Did you try extracting the bootleg you downloaded?
  8. Originally posted by columbiaeagle:OK, I finished the installation of the WinRAR x86 (32 bit) 3.93 program. Everything appeared to go smoothly. At this point, can I delete wrar393.exe from the Downloads folder?

YES, you can delete the *exe from which you installed the program, no worries
  9. The bootleg extraction process worked. After that, I used the iTunes Add A Folder procedure to add the files to my iTunes library. I am listening to them as I write this post. Thank you for your help, folks. I really appreciate it.

My understanding is that wrar393.exe is just the program used to install the WinRAR program onto my computer. Once I have installed the WinRAR program, I don’t need wrar393.exe anymore. This is what LikeASong explained above.

AllBecauseOfU2, does this make sense to you?
  10. Originally posted by columbiaeagle:The bootleg extraction process worked. After that, I used the iTunes Add A Folder procedure to add the files to my iTunes library. I am listening to them as I write this post. Thank you for your help, folks. I really appreciate it.

My understanding is that wrar393.exe is just the program used to install the WinRAR program onto my computer. Once I have installed the WinRAR program, I don’t need wrar393.exe anymore. This is what LikeASong explained above.

AllBecauseOfU2, does this make sense to you?

Yep that it, Sergio's absolutely right. I thought you were asking if you could delete the entire WinRAR program.

Glad everything worked out. Now you can enjoy the bootlegs.
  11. Good to hear it worked out!

Now get back downloading