1. Greetings, this is my first post so please forgive me if I'm posting in the wrong place, although I don't think I am. My name is Dave and I run a blog called The Unheard Music. I recently wrote a post about Salome and Lady With The Spinning Head and it's gotten me thinking about U2 again, and one of the parts of their career I've always to explore a little further is the Pop album.

Before we go any further, I'm very familiar with the history, the b-sides and the remixes that were released. Instead I'm interested in finding out additional information about the work in progress mixes and versions of the songs that weren't released. I've done a little digging and haven't found any bootlegs with unreleased material from this era, but I know that doesn't mean that the fans aren't sharing or aware of the content, so I was hoping some of you here might be able to help me out.

So, have any of the various unused mixes or versions from the Pop sessions leaked out? Also, the excerpts that were posted on their website back in the day while they were working on the album, does anyone have those?

Please let me know if you have any details regarding the Pop sessions and if there is anything I can do for anyone here just let me know, I'm always happy to help out. Thank you!

Dave3
  2. Firstly, welcome to the site.

I have also wondered if there was any Pop out-takes. There is surely some out there. It would be intresting to hear some Pop out-takes and sessions. Sorry that I can't help you with this but someone on the forums will surely know

EDIT
    ------
    These were songs that were reportedly out-takes for the album:

Novelty Act
    MMFR / MFRR / MFFR
    Nose Job
    Untidy Life
    Religious
    Oedipussy
    Revenge...
    Mother
    Be There
    Drug
    Squidgy
    Scott Walker
    Suit Of Lights
    Jesus Drove Me
    Super City Mania
    Something Happens
    I Love The Apple Mac
    The Return of The Fly
    Sparky's Left The Planet
    Hymn To The Universe
    If I Should Ever Lose Control
  3. Originally posted by KieranU2:Firstly, welcome to the site.

I have also wondered if there was any Pop out-takes. There is surely some out there. It would be intresting to hear some Pop out-takes and sessions. Sorry that I can't help you with this but someone on the forums will surely know

EDIT
    ------
    These were songs that were reportedly out-takes for the album:

Novelty Act
    MMFR / MFRR / MFFR
    Nose Job
    Untidy Life
    Religious
    Oedipussy
    Revenge...
    Mother
    Be There
    Drug
    Squidgy
    Scott Walker
    Suit Of Lights
    Jesus Drove Me
    Super City Mania
    Something Happens
    I Love The Apple Mac
    The Return of The Fly
    Sparky's Left The Planet
    Hymn To The Universe
    If I Should Ever Lose Control

Thanks for the reply Kieran! I'm assuming several of those tracks might be working names (Suit Of Lights for instance) but I'd be very interested to learn more about them. I Love The Apple Mac definitely sounds like a song title born of the album's era.
  4. Search for Outtakes on here and you'll find loads of titles and some I wasn't sure of. Can't search from here but it should be there.
  5. Originally posted by drewhiggins:Search for Outtakes on here and you'll find loads of titles and some I wasn't sure of. Can't search from here but it should be there.

Damn! That is a lot of information! Still, wish I knew where to look for the actual tracks. It's funny to me that the band wouldn't consider releasing older outtakes eventually. Releasing leftovers from the last two albums was cool, but why not the older stuff? I suppose some of them may appear on future deluxe editions though, although that's always a long wait.
  6. Originally posted by unheard:[..]

Damn! That is a lot of information! Still, wish I knew where to look for the actual tracks. It's funny to me that the band wouldn't consider releasing older outtakes eventually. Releasing leftovers from the last two albums was cool, but why not the older stuff? I suppose some of them may appear on future deluxe editions though, although that's always a long wait.

The only one I know of that could be classed as an outtake is Big Girls Are Best.
  7. I would love to hear "The Return Of The Fly"
  8. I'm not absolutely sure, but I think "Levitation" from the box set is an outtake from the Pop sessions.

Alex
  9. If you mean Levitate, it's from the ATYCLB sessions.

10. Yes. Oops.

it's from the ATYCLB sessions.

Sure? Doesn't sound like... however. Oops.

Alex

11. It was rumoured to have been started during the Pop sessions, but then was worked on for ATYCLB for very possible inclusion on that record. I'm not sure what happened to it after that for subsequent revisting for another album - but I remember an article from 1999 with Bono saying it was to be the opening track for ATYCLB then they went for another one called Jubilee, then Always and then what it is now.

Levitate had an alternative title: Levitation.
  12. Originally posted by drewhiggins:[..]

It was rumoured to have been started during the Pop sessions, but then was worked on for ATYCLB for very possible inclusion on that record. I'm not sure what happened to it after that for subsequent revisting for another album - but I remember an article from 1999 with Bono saying it was to be the opening track for ATYCLB then they went for another one called Jubilee, then Always and then what it is now.

Levitate had an alternative title: Levitation.

Man, they're creative with those alternate titles.

Does Jubilee = an early form of Elevation?

(/offtopic)