1. Alright lads (and ladies)...

I am thinking of getting my own laptop and want to get a FREE anti-virus software so I don't get viruses from loads of downloads and...

I was wandering what you guys use to protect your computer?

I've seen Norton 360, AVG Antivirus and Avast Antivirus (which seems to be the best from reading reviews).

I was wandering if you lot could help me out with your expertees

Thanks guys
  2. I've used AVG Free and hate it. Just do not like it at all.

I've used McAfee antivirus and was very impressed with it, one of my favourites, especially the full suite.

Using Norton 360 now. Norton has taken a bit of stick over the years for various reasons but I think this version is excellent. Lacks some of the cleaning tools that McAfee featured but other programs can sort that out. Haven't had any infections or computer troubles at all since I installed Norton.

Each to their own though, people will prefer AVG because it's free, but I think it's free for a reason. Others will prefer Kaspersky or Norton.

I would recommend Norton or McAfee though based on personal experience.

EDIT: Just noticed you said free. AVG and Avast then seem to be main players, never used Avast. If you bank at Barlcays you can get 12 months Kaspersky for free if you wish.

You can pick up Antivirus of eBay for cheap. My Dad bought a 3 year, 3PC Norton license for something like £15 which is nothing.

Probelm with free software is that it tends to be simply antivirus. You lack the malware, spyware, spam filter etc that some of the paid suites offer as a package.
  3. None. Common sense is cheaper and less bloated.

If I had to choose though, Avira or Avast would be the picks of the day.
  4. AVG is fine and great with me. Always state of the art and on top. Best of all free antivirus software around. And what is best: it doesn't conquer your system like an octopus as others do, especially Norton and McAfee.
  5. If u want my 2 cents

Norton: used to be very heavy on ur pc, but from what ive heard thats pretty much fixed now and its just as heavy as ur other brands. it updates sumthing like 8 times a day and ive never had a customer come in and say theyve been using norton and have been infected.

McAfee: ive used this for about 4 years and only ever got 1 trojon which was my own fault apart from that ive been fine (touch wood) and would recommend it.

Kaspersky: its fairly new in Australia so i havnt had too much feedback from customers, but the Rep told me that they r #1 in Asia for internet security and u get 2 years of protection instead of 12 months like the other brands. Sum people at wrk use it and they say its great.

Trend: i wouldnt get this one

as for the free suites go i have never used one myself, it takes a lot of time and money for the software makers to keep ur pc up to date against the newest threats, and if u r getting it for free i duno how u can expect it to be as good as sumthing u pay for.
  6. Originally posted by Andrew_C:as for the free suites go i have never used one myself, it takes a lot of time and money for the software makers to keep ur pc up to date against the newest threats, and if u r getting it for free i duno how u can expect it to be as good as sumthing u pay for.

They'll keep updating the free ones, the idea the more protected with a basic interface and the most basic of utilities gives you (free's better than nothing if that's your thing with AV suites), you're more likely to end up buying the fully-featured version with 12 months or whatever it is because you like it so much. Of course you can go for years with a free version but doesn't mean it's no better or worse than that Norton bullshit.

Free samples = possible paid customer. Same as music - let me stream your album and I might buy the lot if I like it so much.

Kaspersky's been in Australia since the company started (late 90s) 'cos PC User and APC always had it on their cover disc which I'd pass if I'm out somewhere but never liked the interface of Kaspersky and always doing competitions to give you a 12-month subscription for it. Maybe it's better now but I'm over AV software 'cos it never picks up much unless you update it every seven seconds.

AV software all uses the same databases anyway, so no matter who you go with - and that DB is free for companies to use, no matter who - not home users or private use though - so if a free and paid solution use it, I'd think they'd be equal in how they work. Then again, software never does work equally as well as the other.
  7. Thanks guys, this has been helpful , I still don't know which one to choose haha, I suppose I have quite a bit of time to choose tho.

Other people feel free to tell me please
  8. Free scanners:

Avira Antivir
    Avast
    AVG
    Microsoft Security Essentials

I use the last one