1. Originally posted by parzival:[..]
    don't hear Geldof and his fellow activists talking about what's going on in the middle east, the rise of antisemitism in Europe (Labour for instance), the supression of women, the intolerance towards gay people, the upcoming violence against women in Europe etc etc..
    Whats going on in Myingmar is terrible but I miss the criticism on other issues.same for Bono.

slightly off topic I guess..
    The article also points out the mayors comments about Geldof and his knighthood. And I posted earlier in general topic (before I found this thread) U2's letter to fans regarding the issue.

Wasn't trying to stir any hornets nests or anything...
  2. Originally posted by blueeyedboy:[..]
    The article also points out the mayors comments about Geldof and his knighthood. And I posted earlier in general topic (before I found this thread) U2's letter to fans regarding the issue.

Wasn't trying to stir any hornets nests or anything...
    I know, its all good, I shouldn't have posted it, bit impulsive
  3. nah... perhaps I shouldn't have even brought it up...
  4. Coincidentally, Bob Geldof was a keynote speaker at a property council meeting near Sydney, according to my dad. I wonder if it was on Monday?
  5. Watched a BBC documentary about her and came away with mixed feelings.

On the one hand she was put on a pedestal by the media - including Bono - a lauded as a saint and a saviour whereas really she was/is just an ordinary, though very smart, woman from a rich family with her own built-in racial prejudices.

And on the other, she tends to ignore human rights violations and tolerates the military power for fear of being removed or worse - and whether this is a vanity thing or a way of slowly changing things from the inside is a matter of debate.
  6. This ATYCLB re-release marketing is getting out of hand.
  7. This is really bad:
    ``In an announcement on military-run television on Monday, the Southeast Asian nation’s army said that it has taken control over the country and declared a state of emergency for a year.''
  8. If you have a mask... put it on 🙏