1. I know of those.

Another intresting incident.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Soviet_frigate_Storozhevoy

The Russian navy thought (incorectly) that Sablin was trying to defect to you guys. When the Captain, managed to retake the bridge, the SU-24s where seconds away from sending them all too the bottom.

I'd say the closest the cold war got to going hot was during the cuban misslle crisis. The Russian sent four Foxtrot class subs to spy on the American naval forces. The subs where quite outclassed for this, and where detected easily, by American forces. Each sub had a single nuclear torpedo, and very ambigious rules of engagement concerning its use. The catch was the commander, the XO, and the political officer all had to agree. On one sub the XO, and Political officer both wanted to fire, but the commander, (who had been XO on the ill-fated K-19) refused. The incident loosely set the basis for the film Crimson Tide.
  2. Originally posted by wtshnnfb01:I know of those.

Another intresting incident.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Soviet_frigate_Storozhevoy

The Russian navy thought (incorectly) that Sablin was trying to defect to you guys. When the Captain, managed to retake the bridge, the SU-24s where seconds away from sending them all too the bottom.

I'd say the closest the cold war got to going hot was during the cuban misslle crisis. The Russian sent four Foxtrot class subs to spy on the American naval forces. The subs where quite outclassed for this, and where detected easily, by American forces. Each sub had a single nuclear torpedo, and very ambigious rules of engagement concerning its use. The catch was the commander, the XO, and the political officer all had to agree. On one sub the XO, and Political officer both wanted to fire, but the commander, (who had been XO on the ill-fated K-19) refused. The incident loosely set the basis for the film Crimson Tide.

Yeah, I know about the Cuban Missile Crisis.

That's another time when it was very close. The moment the Swedish PM gave the order to "hold the border" was also one of those for sure. And the weapons battery that was set to fire. That could easily have led to World War III if the Russian's hadn't cooperated with us. If war had broken out between Sweden and Russia, I'm sure you'd have been there to help.
  3. You ever read the novel Read Storm Rising by Tom Clancy? it contains a fairly intresting scenario for WW3.

And if the Russians had attacked you during the cold war, I'm sure you could have held your own. Your country is well suited for defensive warfare.
  4. Originally posted by wtshnnfb01:You ever read the novel Read Storm Rising by Tom Clancy? it contains a fairly intresting scenario for WW3.

And if the Russians had attacked you during the cold war, I'm sure you could have held your own. Your country is well suited for defensive warfare.

I haven't, I shall try to remember that one.

We are, but against the entire military might of the Soviet Union we'd have fallen eventually. I'm sure we'd have had help though. From countries like yours. I'm pretty sure the Soviet Union would have lost WWIII.

Our conscription army had a very big number of available soldiers though. A very big. Since there were so many men with military training. We would have been able to mobile 100,000 men within hours. A million in total which would've taken a couple of weeks.
  5. I think the ammount of effort my country/England/France etc would have gave to helping your country would have been proportional to what the overall Russian strategy was. If it was a main push, it would have got more attention than a diversionarry strike for example.
  6. Originally posted by wtshnnfb01:I think the ammount of effort my country/England/France etc would have gave to helping your country would have been proportional to what the overall Russian strategy was. If it was a main push, it would have got more attention than a diversionarry strike for example.

I doubt the Russians would have attacked if their intention wasn't to conquer Sweden.

My school which was built during the Cold War has a bomb shelter. All the major buildings got one during those days.

I'm thinking... we had the ability to mobilize an army of a million back then... that's damn impressive for such a small country.
  7. The library I frequent has a bomb shelter. I think they use it for storage now.

8. The one in my school is our music classroom and also the location for indoor happenings.

Nowadays we lead the Nordic Battle Group. I think our military has good reputation.
  9. Here in Croatia almost every building built before 1995 has a bomb shelter.

During Yugoslavia there were massive nuclear shelters build, mostly inside mountains. Some of theme were so big that they would put planes in them.
  10. Originally posted by wtshnnfb01:[..]

BBC openly admitted that they treat Muslims with greater sensitivity, than Christians. How much have you heard about the churches being burned in Egypt, the Iranian man sentenced to death for becoming a Christan, or the Afghans demanding American troops to be charged for accidently burning Korans well at the same time attacking American troops?

I wouldn't say this is entirely true. Just recently it was revealed that they censored a musician's lyrics when they sang "Free Palestine" within the song. It wasn't the first time it happened either.
  11. Swede Jan Eliasson becomes the second man in the UN. Vice Secretary-General. He will be a very good one. At 71 years old he has a lot of experience.