1. Originally posted by LikeASong:[..]
    I don't know what you're talking about but this is a compilation from all 4 Point Depot shows and it contains 28 songs, none of which come from an official source.
    Apparently, I had both the iTunes release and this - this one got mixed up with the other when I uploaded it to google play and the other one I lost when my old laptop crashed....

2. Someone have this bootleg?
    U2: All The Promises Soundboard 1989 (8 CD BOXSET): € 73
  3. I have a bootleg of NYE 89 with that artwork...it's the one gig only and a CDR copy not a pressed one
  4. I'm afraid not - only MP3. Sorry!
  5. This is a great comp but the choice of the 30th over the 26 for One Tree Hill has always baffled me. The 26th is probably the best version of this song ever with Bono's most powerful vocals and Edges' best solo. Minor gripe but I always have to include the 26th when listening to this.

Having said that, this compilation is awesome and worthy to be included in any collection alongside all 4 complete shows.
  6. Reading this reminded me of this trader back in the old days who insisted that the 3 shows prior to the broadcast were actually audience recordings and claimed some insider knowledge. I mean they are clearly soundboards used get the mix right leading up to NYE.
  7. Originally posted by unclejosh:Reading this reminded me of this trader back in the old days who insisted that the 3 shows prior to the broadcast were actually audience recordings and claimed some insider knowledge. I mean they are clearly soundboards used get the mix right leading up to NYE.
    I have always been an advocate of the theory that the 26, 27 and 30 Point Depot bootlegs are not proper soundboard recordings, AND they are not proper audience recordings either. I bet my money that these recordings were made with a professional external microphone (just like you'd make an audience recording), BUT from the mixing desk, by someone with the right contacts – or someone from the U2 camp directly. There are certain things that give these recordings away, like the presence of close clappers & ocassional chats, which is something you'd rarely (if ever) find on a pure soundboard recording. There are also more subtle and intangible things, like the "warm & balanced feel" that they have, as opposed to the classic cold-soundboard sound that you'd find in, for example, Syracuse '87 or Washington '92.

One of my best friends -who is also a U2start member and an avid bootleg collector- is a sound engineer specialized in venue acoustics and he agrees with my theory based on his observations regarding the recording's echo, freqs and reverb – so I feel it's not far fetched at all
  8. pure soundboard maybe not, maybe they were just experimenting with the mix for the radiobroadcast which of course also needs some of the audience noise mixed in.
  9. Yes, I'm pretty sure these recordings come from the microphones subsequently used to provide the audience noise mixed in the New Year's Eve broadcast.