1. Edge in a few years ...

Ha it's Rob Halford of Judas Priest
  2. Here’s a strange one for you, I hope this is the right thread, it’s a u2 thought but also could be about other artists. Does anyone ever think about the what ifs in music and get almost a feeling of dread at what could have been if some how a masterpiece was ruined? I’ll explain more. I’ve just listened to Achtung Baby in full and what if they went with a different mix? What if a song didn’t make the cut? There was an interview I’ve heard where Edge spoke about the single for the Fly nearly not being the mix they eventually went with and how at the time it was the closest they’d been to settling for a mix but managed to avoid it. I don’t know why but I think about these alternate (usually worse) scenarios a lot but then it eventually fills me with a sense of relief that we did get the finished product. It doesn’t relate to the opposite btw when you wish something could be better it’s specifically a fear almost of what could have been( worse) . Now try not to mock lol.
  3. Originally posted by deanallison:Here’s a strange one for you, I hope this is the right thread, it’s a u2 thought but also could be about other artists. Does anyone ever think about the what ifs in music and get almost a feeling of dread at what could have been if some how a masterpiece was ruined? I’ll explain more. I’ve just listened to Achtung Baby in full and what if they went with a different mix? What if a song didn’t make the cut? There was an interview I’ve heard where Edge spoke about the single for the Fly nearly not being the mix they eventually went with and how at the time it was the closest they’d been to settling for a mix but managed to avoid it. I don’t know why but I think about these alternate (usually worse) scenarios a lot but then it eventually fills me with a sense of relief that we did get the finished product. It doesn’t relate to the opposite btw when you wish something could be better it’s specifically a fear almost of what could have been( worse) . Now try not to mock lol.
    If I remember correctly, David Bowie told Bono that U2 should rerecord The Fly completely. Which would have sucked.
  4. Originally posted by deanallison:Here’s a strange one for you, I hope this is the right thread, it’s a u2 thought but also could be about other artists. Does anyone ever think about the what ifs in music and get almost a feeling of dread at what could have been if some how a masterpiece was ruined? I’ll explain more. I’ve just listened to Achtung Baby in full and what if they went with a different mix? What if a song didn’t make the cut? There was an interview I’ve heard where Edge spoke about the single for the Fly nearly not being the mix they eventually went with and how at the time it was the closest they’d been to settling for a mix but managed to avoid it. I don’t know why but I think about these alternate (usually worse) scenarios a lot but then it eventually fills me with a sense of relief that we did get the finished product. It doesn’t relate to the opposite btw when you wish something could be better it’s specifically a fear almost of what could have been( worse) . Now try not to mock lol.
    I understand what you mean, Dean. As interesting as the Kindergarten disc is, I’m glad we got the Achtung Baby that we did - while some of those versions are really cool, I don’t think any of them would’ve worked like the finished product does... with the exception of the baby version of Who’s Gonna Ride Your Wild Horses, which is one of the best things U2 has ever done.

Can you imagine if Brian Eno really HAD erased Streets??
  5. Originally posted by CMIPalaeo:[..]
    I understand what you mean, Dean. As interesting as the Kindergarten disc is, I’m glad we got the Achtung Baby that we did - while some of those versions are really cool, I don’t think any of them would’ve worked like the finished product does... with the exception of the baby version of Who’s Gonna Ride Your Wild Horses, which is one of the best things U2 has ever done.

Can you imagine if Brian Eno really HAD erased Streets??
    Yeah that’s another great example with Streets, it’s crazy. And then maybe if the incident hadn’t happened there wouldn’t have been such a focus on getting the song right in the aftermath. When you think about it there’s so many little details that can affect the writing of a song nevermind an album.
  6. Say what you will about Womanfish, that song absolutely slaps in a way U2 never slapped before or since
  7. They definitely slapped some bottles when writing & recording it
  8. Ha, fair point... but it’s such a messy kind of roots rock, U2 never quite caught that vibe again even on Rattle and Hum. It’s a mess, but it’s a FUN mess!
  9. Originally posted by CMIPalaeo:[..]
    Ha, fair point... but it’s such a messy kind of roots rock, U2 never quite caught that vibe again even on Rattle and Hum. It’s a mess, but it’s a FUN mess!
    Haha, agreed. It had potential...
  10. From the current thread about One performances. The Invisible snippet from 2015-2018 used back in 2003.