1. Originally posted by popmarter:Hopefully going forward they forget about trying to be relevant and competing with the current crop of pop stars the last time they had hit singles was over 15 years ago with Atomic Bomb ,Bono is too much of a dreamer the egomaniac in him thinks they can still have a worldwide hit but that ship has sailed a long time ago , no band over the age of 40 has hit songs anymore no matter how many of the hippest producers they hire .
    There were moments in SOE where I felt 'okay, that's interesting, there's something here', but, for me, the overall feeling of the album is the band writing songs that are too radio-friendly and that takes the 'U2ness' out of them. At the end of the day, they are who they are and they still deliver great songs for a band that's been that popular for that long. I don't necessarily want an experimental album in the future, if they do wanna make one, but I'd like a different sounding album. Forget about hits and radios and stuff. I hope after the tour, the band can get inspired, get creative, and go in the studio, find the magic moment that happens when U2 plays together, don't over-produce the album (!!) and something good will come up. If they don't write songs thinking it must be a hit or it must be radio - friendly or it must be relevant to whatever's going on in music, I believe that's when something truly great can actually be born. And then it might translate to a hit or a radio song. As Adam had said, With or without you was an odd sounding song that wasn't an obvious choice for radio, but it's 30+ years later and it's everywhere. I'm not saying they need to do another JT album or another AB. They've done that, they are regarded as 2 of the greatest albums of all time and that's that. If only the band didn't feel somewhat pressured to live up to that; even some fans have this pressure in their minds. I believe if they stop thinking about relevance and hits, then, there's actually gonna be a bigger chance for a late career JT or AB kind of album. I've said so much, I kinda forgot what point I was trying to make, but it's the U2 thoughts thread, so here they are.
  2. Originally posted by iamcrazytonight:[..]
    There were moments in SOE where I felt 'okay, that's interesting, there's something here', but, for me, the overall feeling of the album is the band writing songs that are too radio-friendly and that takes the 'U2ness' out of them. At the end of the day, they are who they are and they still deliver great songs for a band that's been that popular for that long. I don't necessarily want an experimental album in the future, if they do wanna make one, but I'd like a different sounding album. Forget about hits and radios and stuff. I hope after the tour, the band can get inspired, get creative, and go in the studio, find the magic moment that happens when U2 plays together, don't over-produce the album (!!) and something good will come up. If they don't write songs thinking it must be a hit or it must be radio - friendly or it must be relevant to whatever's going on in music, I believe that's when something truly great can actually be born. And then it might translate to a hit or a radio song. As Adam had said, With or without you was an odd sounding song that wasn't an obvious choice for radio, but it's 30+ years later and it's everywhere. I'm not saying they need to do another JT album or another AB. They've done that, they are regarded as 2 of the greatest albums of all time and that's that. If only the band didn't feel somewhat pressured to live up to that; even some fans have this pressure in their minds. I believe if they stop thinking about relevance and hits, then, there's actually gonna be a bigger chance for a late career JT or AB kind of album. I've said so much, I kinda forgot what point I was trying to make, but it's the U2 thoughts thread, so here they are.
    Brian Eno and Daniel Lanois need to come back
  3. I liked it. SUC could have stayed in the bin. They also could have gone 'more experimental'.
  4. I always thought stand up comedy was a great tune, but I’ve seen a few fans who have the same opinion as you. For me it’s actually a really great tune, guitar riff is awesome, Adam’s bass is great -as are all his bass lines in NLOTH- , nice Edge solo, Larry’s drumming also on point. Yeah, they could have gone more experimental overall, but I believe the whole album is a U2esque balance between experimental & modern elements. It’s one of my favorite albums.
  5. For me it’s also a masterpiece in my head, but I wouldn’t say ‘not everyone is able to understand the album’. I think I realize what you’re saying, it’s an album that should be appreciated more, for me it has the U2-Eno-Lanois oddness all over it, but at the end of the day, we all have different expectations, different taste and we connect to songs / albums in our own way. My favorite song / album might be another fan’s choice for worst song / album. Believe it or not, it was I’ll go crazy if I don’t go crazy tonight that made me a U2 fan. I knew all the hits, but never bothered to dive into the U2 catalogue until I heard this song (hence my name here). That melody, that chorus, the sounds made me feel something I’ve never felt before, it was the ‘most beautiful sound I’ve ever heard’
  6. I might not say masterpiece, but it's certainly great. I have 0 qualms with it.
  7. Not even with this piece of forgettable U2 history?