1. Edge tried a variation of the riff and fans had a reaction similar to drinking acid. Some had physical fits and medical reactions.
  2. Haha I'm glad to count myself in that group of fans. I love my Edge man to go out of the script every now and then and improv or develop new parts, but the guitar arrangement for Electrical Storm just didn't work. It was incredible to see it performed after 10 years (and just after the big, big shock of hearing Ultraviolet and TUF) but I can understand why -and even celebrate that- it was shelved.
  3. Originally posted by LikeASong:Haha I'm glad to count myself in that group of fans. I love my Edge man to go out of the script every now and then and improv or develop new parts, but the guitar arrangement for Electrical Storm just didn't work. It was incredible to see it performed after 10 years (and just after the big, big shock of hearing Ultraviolet and TUF) but I can understand why -and even celebrate that- it was shelved.
    It just doesn't work live hence why it was only played a couple of times.
  4. The problem with Electrical Storm is that it needed a COMPETENT rhythm guitar player to fill in the sound while Edge played the main riffs and solos. That’s my one issue with a lot of U2 songs. ABOY is a perfect example. The bottom just drops out of the song when Edge plays the solo, because a 2nd guitarist is needed to continue the main riff.
  5. Originally posted by podiumboy:The problem with Electrical Storm is that it needed a COMPETENT rhythm guitar player to fill in the sound while Edge played the main riffs and solos. That’s my one issue with a lot of U2 songs. ABOY is a perfect example. The bottom just drops out of the song when Edge plays the solo, because a 2nd guitarist is needed to continue the main riff.
    You are very right, and ABOY is actually a very good example - as was Electrical Storm. Many songs suffer from it specially since 2014.

More than being competent or not (I've always said Bono is/was a better guitar player that we think / get to hear) I think it's a matter of caring. Bono has played prominent rhythm guitar on many songs (Stay, The Fly, Staring At The Sun, A Day Without Me, Running To Stand Still, Bad, One, Kite and Dirty Day spring to mind) and normally with good results... But on the 360 Tour he usually didn't care at all lol
  6. Worse than this - if you listen to the rehearsal "tapes" where they tried Trying to Throw Your Arms at Willie's recommendation, they try for like 5 minutes and give up because Larry couldn't get in-time with the backing track, so it all sounds off. It's like they went "fuck it, we tried - we didn't really want to play it anyway".

Devastating for someone who adores that song.
  7. Originally posted by RattleandHum1988:Worse than this - if you listen to the rehearsal "tapes" where they tried Trying to Throw Your Arms at Willie's recommendation, they try for like 5 minutes and give up because Larry couldn't get in-time with the backing track, so it all sounds off. It's like they went "fuck it, we tried - we didn't really want to play it anyway".

Devastating for someone who adores that song.
    My first thought was "haha who on earth would adore the worst song on Achtung Baby?", sorry

Then I thought "fuck, it's an incredible song anyway, and it would have been so nice to hear it"

Then I became angry with their extreme laziness (once again).
  8. Originally posted by LikeASong:[..]
    My first thought was "haha who on earth would adore the worst song on Achtung Baby?", sorry

Then I thought "fuck, it's an incredible song anyway, and it would have been so nice to hear it"

Then I became angry with their extreme laziness (once again).
    My emotions reading your post:

9. I think you mistyped there. I think you meant the BEST song on Achtung Baby...
  10. My best bud who's somewhere between a casual U2 fan and an actual U2 fan considers it his favourite song by them.
  11. Achtung Baby's level is SO HIGH that Tryin' is the worst song on it.

AND STILL IT'S A FREAKING GREAT SONG.
  12. Arms around the world is definitely near the bottom of the list on that album, maybe just ahead of So cruel but every song on that album is essential to it. Same with JT in fact, all the songs that are on they albums need to be on they albums.