1. Agreed 100%. I think if most people were to put U2 songs into a full 1-200 (I know there's more) list, I'm sure that all of AB would crack top 25. I remember UTEOTW once being described as "the best Christian Rock Song since 'Be Thou My Vision'" and just cracking up! It is a hard order to rank though if you look at those 12 songs. I'd have to almost say though, that since 2014 (i.e. Bono can't play along) 'One' has significantly dropped in the U2 ranking; I might actually put it near the bottom of AB because of that. Even on 360 it was getting tired.
  2. Originally posted by mattfromcanada:[..]
    Agreed 100%. I think if most people were to put U2 songs into a full 1-200 (I know there's more) list, I'm sure that all of AB would crack top 25. I remember UTEOTW once being described as "the best Christian Rock Song since 'Be Thou My Vision'" and just cracking up! It is a hard order to rank though if you look at those 12 songs. I'd have to almost say though, that since 2014 (i.e. Bono can't play along) 'One' has significantly dropped in the U2 ranking; I might actually put it near the bottom of AB because of that. Even on 360 it was getting tired.
    Interesting that your album/song rankings depend on the live performances - I tend to treat them as separate entities.
  3. I think it's funny that we are discussing (arguing) about what's the worst of an album of Amazing songs. Also, So Cruel needs to be near the top. Just saying...
  4. That can vary day to day! For songs I've personally seen live, I definitely envision those performances while I listen. For those that I haven't, I default to the album version.
  5. Originally posted by FromMEtoU2:I think it's funny that we are discussing (arguing) about what's the worst of an album of Amazing songs. Also, So Cruel needs to be near the top. Just saying...
    Thank you! I know we all have different tastes, likes & dislikes, but So Cruel is a fucking masterpiece! Both musically and of course lyrically.
  6. Originally posted by iamcrazytonight:[..]
    Thank you! I know we all have different tastes, likes & dislikes, but So Cruel is a fucking masterpiece! Both musically and of course lyrically.
    Yes, really one of my top U2 songs. Probably because it got me through some tough coming of age emotional times in the 90s.
  7. Originally posted by FromMEtoU2:[..]
    Yes, really one of my top U2 songs. Probably because it got me through some tough coming of age emotional times in the 90s.
    I had the same experience when I picked the album up I. 2005.
  8. Originally posted by mattfromcanada:[..]
    Agreed 100%. I think if most people were to put U2 songs into a full 1-200 (I know there's more) list, I'm sure that all of AB would crack top 25
    I honestly don't think So Cruel, Tryin' and Mysterious Ways would be Top25 for most of the fans. If we're to treat albums as one entity then AB is up high for most of us, but ranking individual songs you'd be surprised how many from TJT, R&H, TUF, Pop, Zooropa, NLOTH and War would end up on that Top25!
  9. Originally posted by LikeASong:[..]
    I honestly don't think So Cruel, Tryin' and Mysterious Ways would be Top25 for most of the fans. If we're to treat albums as one entity then AB is up high for most of us, but ranking individual songs you'd be surprised how many from TJT, R&H, TUF, Pop, Zooropa, NLOTH and War would end up on that Top25!
    Yeah there’s no way they tracks mentioned would make my top 25. I can think of at least 2 songs from every album I like more. Even top 50 would be pushing it for mysterious ways which is my favourite of the 3.
  10. Originally posted by deanallison:[..]
    Yeah there’s no way they tracks mentioned would make my top 25. I can think of at least 2 songs from every album I like more. Even top 50 would be pushing it for mysterious ways which is my favourite of the 3.
    Exactly, same here (swapping MW for So Cruel tho). Hell, for me it would be easier (and shorter) to name tracks that I actually like LESS than MW and Tryin'
  11. I've always considered 'Trying to throw your arms' the weakest song on AB but that's like saying the person who runs last in the 100m finals at the Olympics can't run fast - dude, they're still the 8th fastest on the planet!. It is a good song, it just happens to be surrounded by 11 great and stellar songs.

For me, So Cruel has the best lyrics on the album and the best narration Bono's ever written. Some of those couplets are exquisitely beautiful and totally heart breaking; starting right from the opening lines:

We crossed the line; who pushed who over?
    It doesn't matter to you; it matters to me?

There are other songs, as a whole I would rank ahead, but from a purely lyrical perspective this song sits at the summit of his writing.