1. Ah come on. I know Please is a bit lacklustre in its album form, but Wake Up Dead Man is one of their finer efforts.
  2. Originally posted by Release3:I know a lot of people who are bummed about the band not playing any Joshua Tree songs, but I had an interesting conversation with someone at work who is what I would consider a "casual plus" U2 fan. She's seen them a few times and is just overall a music buff. she was saying how she's tired of the Joshua Tree. She thinks the album is a masterpiece but all you ever hear is Streets, Found, and With or Without You as they're played to death both on the radio and in concert. Her favorite album is Unforgettable Fire and she was saying how she likes Boy, War, "Zootopia", didn't like SOI and likes a few tracks from SOE. It's nice to hear what non-die hards think. To make a very long story short, I think it's good that they're ignoring JT, especially after the longer than planned JT 2017 tour. You know all of these songs wills come back, and do you know how amazing it's going to be? Just naturally in a setlist and not forced like JT 2017. I think it's a brilliant and ballsy move for a band at this stage of their career. Sure they're still playing overplayed warhorses like Vertigo, Elevation, and One, but they're the biggest rock band on the planet. As much as would rather have some obscure rarities thrown in there, they still need hits. And for the amount of songs this tour, going from 27 to 23. They're 60 and touring every night. Sure, Bruce plays 3 hours, but Bruce also almost didnt die a couple years back.

Interesting...thanks for sharing this! I’m with your coworker...I still think it’s ballsy to ignore JT on this tour and I commend the band for it.

It does make me wonder, too, what the future looks like for U2 after they probably take a long break...

3. Totally agree. Do you or others include that as an official ATYCLB song even though it’s not on most editions? Love the theme of Grace but musically and lyrically I’d replace it with Ground Beneath in a heartbeat, and that would bring the album up a notch for me considerably.
  4. Originally posted by bpt3:[..]

Totally agree. Do you or others include that as an official ATYCLB song even though it’s not on most editions? Love the theme of Grace but musically and lyrically I’d replace it with Ground Beneath in a heartbeat, and that would bring the album up a notch for me considerably.
    I consider it as part of the album but that’s because it was part of the album I bought here in the uk so I’m bias I guess.
  5. Originally posted by bpt3:[..]

Totally agree. Do you or others include that as an official ATYCLB song even though it’s not on most editions? Love the theme of Grace but musically and lyrically I’d replace it with Ground Beneath in a heartbeat, and that would bring the album up a notch for me considerably.
    Yeah it's an integral part of it for me, but I've had a version of the album with it as the last track for essentially my whole life. It's also included on the Spotify album in my country
  6. Originally posted by bpt3:[..]

I don't really consider The ground beneath her feet as part of the album, but if it was included in all the album releases / versions, in my opinion, it would elevate the album's overall "score". It's such an odd song with a unique sound.
  7. Originally posted by dylbagz:[..]
    Yeah it's an integral part of it for me, but I've had a version of the album with it as the last track for essentially my whole life. It's also included on the Spotify album in my country
    Yep. It’s an ATYCLB track definitely.
  8. I have been reflecting a lot lately on the state of the nation with U2 and how they have arrived at this point in their career. My story of U2 may make quite interesting reading and I apologize if this post maybe a little long but here goes.

My love of U2 spans nearly 40 years but quite by accident or fate unknowing to me I actually met Adam Clayton before he even knew he would become a global rock star in the best and biggest band in the world. As a kid growing up in Burnley England my Grand Mother worked as an estate manager for a wealthy family who lived in sorrento rd in Dalkey just outside of Dublin. One of the kids she looked after as part of her job was sent to St colombus college in Rathfarnham. One of his friends who was a the school at that time had parents who worked for Aer lingus so his parents were away a lot. On a few weekends Micheal would bring his friend Adam along to the house to stay and swim in the pool as his parents were away on a couple of occasions I would be visiting my gran as I spent all my holidays from school with her and Adam would be there it was only a couple of times and I really cant remember a lot about it I would have only been around 7 or 8 at that time. But the 2 lads kept in touch and I remember my gran telling me later Adam's parents were always grateful he was allowed to visit. Adam was taken out of St columbus as we all know he was a bit of a rebel and ended up going to Mount Temple but the lads kept in touch and in 1980 My gran took me to the National Stadium to see Adam in his band which i though as 12 year old was pretty cool from that moment U2 were gonna be a big part of my life.

Going to secondary school, college and then university in England meant I got long holidays which I spent in Dalkey so I must have spent at least a couple of months per year staying in Dublin . Dublin was a very different place in the 80's and 90's than it is today and the people my gran mother worked for all moved in the same social circles as many affluent people so it was easy to get tickets to see U2 in Dublin they were also very friendly with a guy called Ossie Kilkenny who was a big account who was involved with U2 so VIP passes were often available.

When U2 were recording in Windmill lane they used to often frequent the pink elephant bar and Dockers so you could often spot them and have a beer with them.
    In 1986 whilst U2 were recording the Joshua tree on separate occasions Bono and Ali and Paul Mcguiness then Adam Clayton and Ossie kilkenny all visited the house my gran worked in to try to buy the house. Adam remembered visiting as a young teenager. Unfortunately the man that man my gran worked for at that time didnt want to sell. So Bono bought his in Killiney and Adam bought Danesmoate in Rathfarnham both still live in the house they eventually bought

In my opinion seeing U2 in the 80's was the best time, the gigs in Croke Park in 1985 and 1987 were like a real homecoming for the four lads who had set off to conqor the world and returned home as hero's. The setlists were great with variation haha.The gigs in Dublin at Christmas time in 1989 were the best by far and still are today again my opinion from being at 3 of them

In the 90's they were still amazing live in my opinion but this is when the it all went a bit to their heads the big rock stars and all that particularly Bono and Adam who was really living the rock n roll life style booze ,drugs and women for Adam . We all know now Adam had some serious issues with drink and today he is now tea total and has a complete lifestyle change. After the Pomart tour this is when I think they kinda grew up they were hitting their 40's we all calm down in our 40's but the tours were still good and they were still in control of everything musically and the tours etc.

The gigs in Dublin were beginning to change in a way that there were more people from abroad at them than local Irish people I even think a lot of people in Dublin began to resent them a little. Bono even references this in a way now on the current tour when he say the man tells him he is Paul from no. 10.

The big change for me came when Paul mcguiness left and they signed for live nation the world changed a lot Live nation is all about big business making money. And U2 have now become a big part of their revenue and profit. U2 are a great money making machine.
    Look at the way everything has changed until recently fanclub members always got the tickets they wanted now they cant even get tickets for GA in a pre sale but GA's are still being released in blocks for the current tour. The fans used to be number 1 for U2 now they are not its all about generating money and profit. Why change a set list every night for the real fans when they still get the same revenue generated from a gig . The only longer term impact maybe fans wont go to as many shows next time but that doesnt matter because the demand is still there for arena shows.

Look at the so called superfan who were getting up on stage every night even that has stopped on this tour we dont even seem to se them as much on social media now..

Way back when U2 were trying to make it, the fans were number 1 and were needed. Now the priority has changed due to corporate intervention. I have worked in senior positions in large corporate organizations so I fully understand how it works revenue, profit and cash are the drivers. I have also worked in a smaller SME where perhaps the strategy and goals are slightly different. like back in the earlier days for U2 it was a smaller enterprise than it is now.So thats been the big change I feel.

So the future what are my thoughts I think we all expect U2 to take a long break of around 4 years after this tour . I think they have One more album in them and a massive Outdoor tour probably around 2022 finishing off at slane or Croke park. I personally dont think they will ever announce an end to it but will just do a few things smaller scale every now and again I think Bono and The Edge will still be quite active in stuff but Adam and Larry will not be so family time for them.

But what I think will happen is we over the next few years get a lot of releases of Live DVD's recording etc why because again it generates revenue, profit and cash whilst they are inactive from touring etc so that could be a positive thing for all us bigger fans. I dont think we will ever get a greatest hits tour and then a big finale. U2 will still be around for a long time in my opinion but the activity of the band after this tour will reduce like we long timers have not known in our lives which for me a fan for nearly 40 years and been very very lucky to see them on every tour is kinda sad. But I think even after 2022 there will still be occasional small tours or band live appearances

My final words are as much as I get disappointment from lack of set list variation and not getting the tickets I want at times I for one must enjoy it whilst it lasts. And as my gran used to tell me all good things do come to and end at some point. U2 as much of a frustration they have become to me have almost every year since I was 12 years old have given me the most fantastic musical memories....And im nearly 51 now so it cant be that bad. I am looking forward to going to both Manchester shows and seeing the new stuff and dare I say Acrobat played live...Sorry for the long post
  9. Just noticed at 9:50, when Chris thanks the band, he points to Larry and says: thanks Adam! WTF, could be the nerves
  10. Originally posted by andyuk36:I have been reflecting a lot lately on the state of the nation with U2 and how they have arrived at this point in their career. My story of U2 may make quite interesting reading and I apologize if this post maybe a little long but here goes.

My love of U2 spans nearly 40 years but quite by accident or fate unknowing to me I actually met Adam Clayton before he even knew he would become a global rock star in the best and biggest band in the world. As a kid growing up in Burnley England my Grand Mother worked as an estate manager for a wealthy family who lived in sorrento rd in Dalkey just outside of Dublin. One of the kids she looked after as part of her job was sent to St colombus college in Rathfarnham. One of his friends who was a the school at that time had parents who worked for Aer lingus so his parents were away a lot. On a few weekends Micheal would bring his friend Adam along to the house to stay and swim in the pool as his parents were away on a couple of occasions I would be visiting my gran as I spent all my holidays from school with her and Adam would be there it was only a couple of times and I really cant remember a lot about it I would have only been around 7 or 8 at that time. But the 2 lads kept in touch and I remember my gran telling me later Adam's parents were always grateful he was allowed to visit. Adam was taken out of St columbus as we all know he was a bit of a rebel and ended up going to Mount Temple but the lads kept in touch and in 1980 My gran took me to the National Stadium to see Adam in his band which i though as 12 year old was pretty cool from that moment U2 were gonna be a big part of my life.

Going to secondary school, college and then university in England meant I got long holidays which I spent in Dalkey so I must have spent at least a couple of months per year staying in Dublin . Dublin was a very different place in the 80's and 90's than it is today and the people my gran mother worked for all moved in the same social circles as many affluent people so it was easy to get tickets to see U2 in Dublin they were also very friendly with a guy called Ossie Kilkenny who was a big account who was involved with U2 so VIP passes were often available.

When U2 were recording in Windmill lane they used to often frequent the pink elephant bar and Dockers so you could often spot them and have a beer with them.
    In 1986 whilst U2 were recording the Joshua tree on separate occasions Bono and Ali and Paul Mcguiness then Adam Clayton and Ossie kilkenny all visited the house my gran worked in to try to buy the house. Adam remembered visiting as a young teenager. Unfortunately the man that man my gran worked for at that time didnt want to sell. So Bono bought his in Killiney and Adam bought Danesmoate in Rathfarnham both still live in the house they eventually bought

In my opinion seeing U2 in the 80's was the best time, the gigs in Croke Park in 1985 and 1987 were like a real homecoming for the four lads who had set off to conqor the world and returned home as hero's. The setlists were great with variation haha.The gigs in Dublin at Christmas time in 1989 were the best by far and still are today again my opinion from being at 3 of them

In the 90's they were still amazing live in my opinion but this is when the it all went a bit to their heads the big rock stars and all that particularly Bono and Adam who was really living the rock n roll life style booze ,drugs and women for Adam . We all know now Adam had some serious issues with drink and today he is now tea total and has a complete lifestyle change. After the Pomart tour this is when I think they kinda grew up they were hitting their 40's we all calm down in our 40's but the tours were still good and they were still in control of everything musically and the tours etc.

The gigs in Dublin were beginning to change in a way that there were more people from abroad at them than local Irish people I even think a lot of people in Dublin began to resent them a little. Bono even references this in a way now on the current tour when he say the man tells him he is Paul from no. 10.

The big change for me came when Paul mcguiness left and they signed for live nation the world changed a lot Live nation is all about big business making money. And U2 have now become a big part of their revenue and profit. U2 are a great money making machine.
    Look at the way everything has changed until recently fanclub members always got the tickets they wanted now they cant even get tickets for GA in a pre sale but GA's are still being released in blocks for the current tour. The fans used to be number 1 for U2 now they are not its all about generating money and profit. Why change a set list every night for the real fans when they still get the same revenue generated from a gig . The only longer term impact maybe fans wont go to as many shows next time but that doesnt matter because the demand is still there for arena shows.

Look at the so called superfan who were getting up on stage every night even that has stopped on this tour we dont even seem to se them as much on social media now..

Way back when U2 were trying to make it, the fans were number 1 and were needed. Now the priority has changed due to corporate intervention. I have worked in senior positions in large corporate organizations so I fully understand how it works revenue, profit and cash are the drivers. I have also worked in a smaller SME where perhaps the strategy and goals are slightly different. like back in the earlier days for U2 it was a smaller enterprise than it is now.So thats been the big change I feel.

So the future what are my thoughts I think we all expect U2 to take a long break of around 4 years after this tour . I think they have One more album in them and a massive Outdoor tour probably around 2022 finishing off at slane or Croke park. I personally dont think they will ever announce an end to it but will just do a few things smaller scale every now and again I think Bono and The Edge will still be quite active in stuff but Adam and Larry will not be so family time for them.

But what I think will happen is we over the next few years get a lot of releases of Live DVD's recording etc why because again it generates revenue, profit and cash whilst they are inactive from touring etc so that could be a positive thing for all us bigger fans. I dont think we will ever get a greatest hits tour and then a big finale. U2 will still be around for a long time in my opinion but the activity of the band after this tour will reduce like we long timers have not known in our lives which for me a fan for nearly 40 years and been very very lucky to see them on every tour is kinda sad. But I think even after 2022 there will still be occasional small tours or band live appearances

My final words are as much as I get disappointment from lack of set list variation and not getting the tickets I want at times I for one must enjoy it whilst it lasts. And as my gran used to tell me all good things do come to and end at some point. U2 as much of a frustration they have become to me have almost every year since I was 12 years old have given me the most fantastic musical memories....And im nearly 51 now so it cant be that bad. I am looking forward to going to both Manchester shows and seeing the new stuff and dare I say Acrobat played live...Sorry for the long post
    No need to apologise for the long post. Very interesting read, I'm your age as well and like you remember the 80's & 90's with fond memories. I find myself agreeing with you 100% about where U2 are nowadays Andy.

11. Pretty cool
  12. Jesus. Bono looks so much younger here.