1. And you really think they didn't notice it themselves and maybe decided to use that one on purpose ?
  2. It is called irony...

To have a title that exactly describes what you (already) see is a bit boring, no?

Still, the 2009 Deluxe box (or whatever they called it) included a fold out poster that had exactly that "no line" picture...
  3. Originally posted by Sev00:[image]
    I have never played around with an album making other track listings as I've did with NLOTH. There's an absolute masterpiece in this album that gets wasted by a few filler rock songs (and I actually like Get on Your Boots on its own). Here is my current running order, I really like this one...

I'd actually put Magnificent into the "filler rock songs" group as well. I don't mind it musically, but it's not really saying anything lyrically at all lol. It's kind of a "nothing" song to me, as though Bono heard the word "magnificent" and wrote a song around it - but I agree with the rest of your post 100%.

It's been said by many (including myself too many times) - but there's an EP's worth of songs on NLOTH that are easily U2's most interesting work in the last two decades. There's a really focused aesthetic (both sonically and lyrically) there for that small set of songs that create something really interesting.

I stand by my theory that halfway through the album cycle they came up with the 360 show and realized that this quiet, subdued, very story-driven album they were working on wouldn't fit with the stage, so they wrote all those bullshit songs to make it work. It's even backed up by that quote from Larry where he basically says "we had all these quieter, artsy songs and we thought "what are we going to play live though?"".

I LOVED the 360 tour, it was amazing - but I also would've loved a U2 album that was completely different, and we only got half of one. If you remember, that album promo cycle was rife with Bono quotes along the lines of "this is an Achtung Baby-level paradigm shift for the band" - if the album had turned out to be a full collection of songs like the ones you listed there, he would've been right. But then we heard Boots......
  4. Ughhhghhh don’t remind me
  5. Oh how this album has grown on me. Still listen to it regularly. Only problem is songs 6 and 7. This is how I rate the songs today:

1. No Line On The Horizon - 8/10
    2. Magnificent - 6/10
    3. Moment of Surrender - 10/10
    4. Unknown Caller - 9/10
    5. I'll Go Crazy If I Don't Crazy Tonight - 6/10
    6. Get On Your Boots - 4/10
    7. Stand Up Comedy - 3/10
    8. Fez-Being Born - 9/10
    9. White As Snow - 8/10
    10. Breathe - 9/10
    11. Cedars Of Lebanon - 8/10
  6. Wow, this is something else Thanks for sharing! I'll dig in deep later

(...) the band used my friend’s laptop to record one of their sessions as all the band’s laptops (producers’ included) were being used in other rooms due to the nature in which U2 work. The band took a copy of the files but didn’t delete them from my friend’s hard drive. My friend (some years after the event I must say) sent the files to me.

7. Interesting!
  8. Originally posted by LikeASong:[..]
    Wow, this is something else Thanks for sharing! I'll dig in deep later

(...) the band used my friend’s laptop to record one of their sessions as all the band’s laptops (producers’ included) were being used in other rooms due to the nature in which U2 work. The band took a copy of the files but didn’t delete them from my friend’s hard drive. My friend (some years after the event I must say) sent the files to me.

Lol that's incredible
  9. Haha indeed. It's so un-U2, but if you think of it they've been suffering similar "accidents" since early in their career. October's stolen lyrics anyone?
  10. Originally posted by LikeASong:[..]
    Haha indeed. It's so un-U2, but if you think of it they've been suffering similar "accidents" since early in their career. October's stolen lyrics anyone?
    Which turned out to be a bullshit story from Bono haha. I love that. "Guys, I had a bunch of masterpieces but they were all stolen...what do we do?"

*Is returned book years later to find there was basically nothing in it*.

I want to hear the version of No Line that existed before they decided they had to "put some songs" onto it. I want to hear an entire album being written from different perspectives, to do with war, journalists covering it, etc.

I maintain that if this was a U2 EP, it'd be the best music project they'd have released since Pop:

Soon
    Being Born (goodbye random Fez intro)
    Moment of Surrender
    Winter
    White As Snow
    Cedars Of Lebanon

Gets even worse (for me) when you realize that Every Breaking Wave was supposed to be on this album but was held back because of the running time, AND it was likely much closer to the version they played on the 360 tour which IMO was 10000000X better. Never really liked the arrangement on SOI, never really liked the new chorus (or that Ryan Tedder supposedly wrote it), and absolutely hated what they did to the "Waves know, where are the rocks" section - or rather, the "The sea knows, where are the rocks" (which it became).