1. Yes you’re right! The link is for the plot of the film. U2 screwed it up last minute changing it for the cd release. The film makes the album have more sense.
  2. Originally posted by Pipo:Yes you’re right! The link is for the plot of the film. U2 screwed it up last minute changing it for the cd release. The film makes the album have more sense.
    And doesn't contain Crazy Tonight which is also plus
  3. Originally posted by MattG:I can do whatever I want with my fake dream NLOTH lol.

Because I have nothing else to do, here are the "problem-points" my suggestion addresses:

-There are two very conflicting styles trying to jive on the record. We have songs that skew more toward traditional U2 rock, and songs that are clearly more brooding and insightful. Crazy Tonight sticks out like a sore thumb and for that reason its been removed. Would have been a fine one-off like Window in the Skies but doesn't belong on this album.

-No Line on the Horizon is a fine song in my opinion, but its not strong enough to open and set the tone for the album. Soon does a much better job of building anticipation and intriguing the listener, like the first half of the Zooropa title track. The payoff comes in the form of Breathe. In the first 6 minutes of the album, you'd have an indication that this would sound different than U2 ever had before, but would still rock.

-FEZ is such a wonderful product of experimentation that without any natural context whatsoever, as it exists on the album as we know it, it loses so much of its potential. With its literal reference to Boots, I positioned it to thematically tie the glammy rock thing they're (albeit poorly) experimenting with to the maturity of the second half. This gives the album a more natural-feeling evolution as the more traditional U2 sounds are washed away in FEZ's tide. Moment of Surrender immediately following gives it impact as well - finally, there is consonance.

-Unknown Caller is probably the weakest song on the album as a whole but it anchors the second half and provides some pulse amidst bleakness. Ending with Cedars of Lebanon works as well as it does on NLOTH because the entire record sounds like its in despair. With a tweak of how its delivered, the message of its spoken-word lyric are still driven home when followed by the uplifting and hopeful Winter.

I really like this. My only issues are I like Unknown Caller closer to the beginning of the album. Paired with MOS it makes sense in the context of the story they are telling, which perhaps was more apparent with UC being the very first song on Linear.

That said, maybe I'm trying to read too much into the "narrative" aspect of the album. I do love when albums tell a story, but I also know that many on here were upset at the band's devotion to the "narrative" at the expense of setlist variety on E&I. And Bono has mentioned that he had multiple characters in his head while writing the lyrics, right? Not just one Parisian cop like Linear focuses on.

Also, I love White As Snow yet...keep that in between FEZ and MOS?
  4. Long live the busker version of NLOTH.

5. I do like most of NLOTH, but it has also 2 very weak tracks, Boots and Grazy. And the song order is not the right one and NLOTH is missing some songs which should be on the album, but that happens more often at U2 albums.
  6. Precisely why it’s so good. Bringing the song back with a new arrangement and having a bit of fun with it. Perfect.
  7. 12 years on this is how I rate it now

No Line On The Horizon 4
    Magnificent 9
    Moment of Surrender 7
    Unknown Caller 6
    I'll Go Crazy If I Don't Go Crazy Tonight 7
    Get On Your Boots 3
    Stand Up Comedy 8
    Fez Being Born 8
    White As Snow 6
    Breathe 8
    Cedars Of Lebanon 6