1. if your listening to it on cd...keep the cd as a coaster and buy the vinyl ...quite a difference.the cd and digital downloads are victims of the loudness wars.
  2. I think honestly NLOTH is one of their more challenging albums but I think overall in a good way. I'd agree its a bit uneven, but I think the lyrics are still on the whole less cringy than Miracle of Joey Ramone, Song for Someone, Raised By Wolves, etc. ("Stand up for your love!" > "Raised by wolves/Stronger than fear")

I think SOI/E are still U2's most cringy albums in terms of lyrical choices, but they have their own strengths over No Line (the biggest one being thematic consistency).
  3. I think I'd just like to get away from the idea that Stand Up Comedy/I'll go Crazy are poor U2 tracks. I don't think I've seen that opinion anywhere else but here.
  4. Originally posted by tkfiyah:I think I'd just like to get away from the idea that Stand Up Comedy/I'll go Crazy are poor U2 tracks. I don't think I've seen that opinion anywhere else but here.
    to me these two tracks are the best songs of NLOTH
  5. Originally posted by tkfiyah:I think I'd just like to get away from the idea that Stand Up Comedy/I'll go Crazy are poor U2 tracks. I don't think I've seen that opinion anywhere else but here.
    Crazy Tonight is in the top half of NLOTH songs.
    And I love both the lyrics and the melody of "it's not a hill it's a mountain when you start out the climb"

But still, Raised by Wolves is way better than both songs.
  6. Originally posted by tkfiyah:I think I'd just like to get away from the idea that Stand Up Comedy/I'll go Crazy are poor U2 tracks. I don't think I've seen that opinion anywhere else but here.
    They're not especially poor, they just don't fit in on NLOTH and stick out like a sore thumb...Go Crazy could've been a good single. SUC is a decent HTDAAB beside I reckon
  7. The Linear movie says everything about this album, looks like a travel in your mind.
  8. Originally posted by Anam:When you are young and discovering a group and their work for the first time, the way that music imprints on you is magical. I totally get why some people love this record, but I don't feel that way.

I wonder if there are any fans, for whom 1987-1993 were the magical years, that champion NLOTH?

U2 have been the only stable music-thingy in my life since 1986/87 (aged 5/6) and NLOTH still is my absolute favorite album. The first albums I bought myself (on vinyl) were actually TJT, AB and Zooropa. And the magic tracks back then were ISHFWILF, IGC, One....

Sure, Boots wasn't their biggest shot but in the right mood it's a fun song. I agree that Linear is the better order but I wouldn't ditch any of the songs, rather add Winter in the Linear Version.
    Musically NLOTH is full of interesting details, Crazy is originally a great song and I'm still sad they cancelled the single release for MOS, which is my fave track on the album.
    Lastfm says (Scrobbling since Nov 2008) NLOTH has almost 2200 plays, while SOI has poor 300-400 (if you add CD1 & CD2). TJT ~1800, Bomb ~1600, AB ~1600, ATYCLB ~1300, Pop ~1100, TUF ~1100. The others jump around 600-800.
    (SOE currently still 0).
  9. 9 years!
  10. Originally posted by sparko:[..]

U2 have been the only stable music-thingy in my life since 1986/87 (aged 5/6) and NLOTH still is my absolute favorite album. The first albums I bought myself (on vinyl) were actually TJT, AB and Zooropa. And the magic tracks back then were ISHFWILF, IGC, One....

Sure, Boots wasn't their biggest shot but in the right mood it's a fun song. I agree that Linear is the better order but I wouldn't ditch any of the songs, rather add Winter in the Linear Version.
    Musically NLOTH is full of interesting details, Crazy is originally a great song and I'm still sad they cancelled the single release for MOS, which is my fave track on the album.
    Lastfm says (Scrobbling since Nov 2008) NLOTH has almost 2200 plays, while SOI has poor 300-400 (if you add CD1 & CD2). TJT ~1800, Bomb ~1600, AB ~1600, ATYCLB ~1300, Pop ~1100, TUF ~1100. The others jump around 600-800.
    (SOE currently still 0).
    I've been on board the U2 train since 1980, and I LOVE NLOTH... it's an epic long player. that said, (as I've repeated ad nauseum) this was meant for vinyl and in the style of the old archaic "album-oriented rock" format... as far as I'm concerned, if you haven't listened to this on vinyl, you haven't heard it.

If you're into formatted radio singles, have a short attention span, and "smell like teen spirit", I agree, you won't be a fan of this record. and i'm not saying that there's anything wrong with that... but I also don't think it should be compared with TJT or AB... remember - they made AB to "chop down" TJT...
  11. NLOTH is a weird one for me. On one hand, it's not even close to their best album, going on the merits of each song. One the other hand, it's really not like anything else they've ever done. That makes me like NLOTH a lot, especially along with the fact that if it weren't for this record... I might never have become a U2 fan. It was one of my first conscious exposures to the band. I remember my dad playing it in the car just after it'd come out. I vaguely remember it being 'the new U2 album' but that's about it - I sort of had the impression of 'oh yeah, U2, they're a great band' but I didn't really pay attention to it. Some months later, I was kind of like... U2, yeah, they have some good songs, what are some of their albums like? So the first one I could think of, from seeing it sitting around the house every now and then, No Line On the Horizon. That's got that catchy loud one about the sexy boots on it, right? That was a fun song...

And so between War and NLOTH I was properly introduced to U2 and, my God, I needed more. War and NLOTH... pretty different records, but they were so good to me, and I loved that they seemed both very distinct but I could tell, these were the same guys. It was thrilling.

I like what Greg said. NLOTH is U2's album-oriented rock album (along with maybe Zooropa), and it's the better for it. Sure, Magnificent and the middle three sound like singles. But still, the overall feel of the album is one that is focused on The Album. MOS is easily one of their best songs, but... I can't help but feeling it being a single would kind of spoil it. You know it'd be edited - even if it was edited down by only a minute and a half or so and was on the longer side for a single - and that would be kind of weird. I don't know. I like all three NLOTH singles quite a bit, but this is one very clear example of an album that is much stronger than its radio songs.
  12. Originally posted by CMIPalaeo:NLOTH is a weird one for me. On one hand, it's not even close to their best album, going on the merits of each song. One the other hand, it's really not like anything else they've ever done. That makes me like NLOTH a lot, especially along with the fact that if it weren't for this record... I might never have become a U2 fan. It was one of my first conscious exposures to the band. I remember my dad playing it in the car just after it'd come out. I vaguely remember it being 'the new U2 album' but that's about it - I sort of had the impression of 'oh yeah, U2, they're a great band' but I didn't really pay attention to it. Some months later, I was kind of like... U2, yeah, they have some good songs, what are some of their albums like? So the first one I could think of, from seeing it sitting around the house every now and then, No Line On the Horizon. That's got that catchy loud one about the sexy boots on it, right? That was a fun song...

And so between War and NLOTH I was properly introduced to U2 and, my God, I needed more. War and NLOTH... pretty different records, but they were so good to me, and I loved that they seemed both very distinct but I could tell, these were the same guys. It was thrilling.

I like what Greg said. NLOTH is U2's album-oriented rock album (along with maybe Zooropa), and it's the better for it. Sure, Magnificent and the middle three sound like singles. But still, the overall feel of the album is one that is focused on The Album. MOS is easily one of their best songs, but... I can't help but feeling it being a single would kind of spoil it. You know it'd be edited - even if it was edited down by only a minute and a half or so and was on the longer side for a single - and that would be kind of weird. I don't know. I like all three NLOTH singles quite a bit, but this is one very clear example of an album that is much stronger than its radio songs.