1. Originally posted by zooropa93:If Boots wasn’t the lead single, with all that eyeliner crap and the dodgy performances on Brit Awards, etc. then I think it would have sat better with me.

I agree with someone who posted earlier that the layout was all wrong, if Fez would have kicked it off (Morocco vibe) then leading into Breathe then think it would have been better.
    Boots was great live. Up there with Vertigo.
  2. 10 years now! Crazy how time flies!
  3. It's been ten years since get on your boots
  4. It's a messy album. There is a Moroccan theme and some great experimental tracks like 'Unknown Caller' and 'Fez-Being Born' but it doesn't flow well as a piece of work. It's as if they panicked at some point and felt the need to cram in some 'pop' hits in the middle of it. I tried to enjoy 'Get On Your Boots' when it was released but immediately thought it sounded like a lesser 'Vertigo'. It did grow better as a live track but the band lost confidence in the album as the tour went on.
  5. Possibly my least favourite U2 album.
  6. Probably need to give it a listen later. This one and War were my first U2 albums. I love NLOTH, though it’s not without its flaws it’s got some killer songs.
  7. Top 5 album
  8. Originally posted by EridescoFly:It's a messy album. There is a Moroccan theme and some great experimental tracks like 'Unknown Caller' and 'Fez-Being Born' but it doesn't flow well as a piece of work. It's as if they panicked at some point and felt the need to cram in some 'pop' hits in the middle of it. I tried to enjoy 'Get On Your Boots' when it was released but immediately thought it sounded like a lesser 'Vertigo'. It did grow better as a live track but the band lost confidence in the album as the tour went on.
    Agree, it's an awful mess, with some of the worst lyrics Bono has ever written. To me, it felt like he was distracted by all of his charity work and came in at the last minute with a lot of random ideas. In many ways it's comparable to October, where he lost his lyrics and had to start again. Songs like Magnificent and Boots are simply a U2-by-the-numbers approach, where you can trace their lineage back through COBL/Streets and Vertigo/Elevation. My least listened to U2 album.

9. Half of this album is some of their best recent material. The other half doesn't fit with it... It is a bit sad.

I will forever maintain that the first 4 songs of NLOTH as an EP could have been U2's best work.

I also stumbled upon this thread just when I was listening to this custom track order again... It makes the album really great for me.
  10. It's pretty telling that they haven't played any songs from it on the last 3 tours the songs just didn't catch the public's imagination as much as they would have liked ,Bono is still obsessed with been relevant he wants the songs played on the radio and to get a big reaction when played live but for a band in their 50s it's almost an impossible task no matter how good the songs are. They had 9 of the hottest producer's on SOE which did help to get airplay but they will never achieve the level of airplay or exposure Coldplay or Foo fighters get when they release new songs not that they aren't good enough but more down to being an older band from the 80s.
  11. Originally posted by popmarter:It's pretty telling that they haven't played any songs from it on the last 3 tours the songs just didn't catch the public's imagination as much as they would have liked ,Bono is still obsessed with been relevant he wants the songs played on the radio and to get a big reaction when played live but for a band in their 50s it's almost an impossible task no matter how good the songs are. They had 9 of the hottest producer's on SOE which did help to get airplay but they will never achieve the level of airplay or exposure Coldplay or Foo fighters get when they release new songs not that they aren't good enough but more down to being an older band from the 80s.
    Plus Coldplay are way more willing to get into the current trends of pop music. U2 are stopping short of that to stay more U2... I'd say either go all in or do the opposite and do another Zooropa-like album
  12. ...except from "Magnificent" in Amsterdam during the 2015 'i+e' Tour that is...