1. I just re-watched the opening sequence from my first ever U2 show, Chicago '09, and Breathe actually kicks a lot more ass than I remembered. I would love to see this song live again (but I doubt it'd happen)
  2. Originally posted by MattG:I just re-watched the opening sequence from my first ever U2 show, Chicago '09, and Breathe actually kicks a lot more ass than I remembered. I would love to see this song live again (but I doubt it'd happen)
    I was almost 9 at my first U2 gig at Wembley 1 that year, I remember the claw just being the most amazing thing I'd ever seen, and tbh it probably still is the most amazing thing I've ever seen
  3. Originally posted by WideAwakeBadBoy:[..]
    I was almost 9 at my first U2 gig at Wembley 1 that year, I remember the claw just being the most amazing thing I'd ever seen, and tbh it probably still is the most amazing thing I've ever seen
    My eldest was 8 when she saw the JT show at Twickenham. There is some excellent parenting in the background there!

Would also love to hear Breathe again live. It was a great opener, in hindsight.
  4. No line is a Ok, i prefer the Linear track order of the album.
    Maybe it was overproduced, but i realy like most of the album. Better than htdaab

5. I've never seen/heard anything that makes me believe a CD sounds worse than vinyl. All the talk about warmth and clarity seems like people with aesthetic preferences, rather than objective superiority. I figured what we were talking about was NLOTH had been mastered or mixed different when put to vinyl.
  6. CD's often do sound worse than vinyl ; even though CD is a perfect medium, it also has no limitations, and thus CD's can have harsh compression in the Loudness War. Vinyl has to have a much wider dynamic range or the needle would jump out of the groove. #mansplaining

http://www.soundmattersblog.com/vinyl-vs-cd-in-the-loudness-war/
  7. I have the box set of this
  8. Originally posted by Anam:[..]
    My eldest was 8 when she saw the JT show at Twickenham. There is some excellent parenting in the background there!

Would also love to hear Breathe again live. It was a great opener, in hindsight.
    I was 16 at Twickenham 1 last year and it was my first GA show (saw Wembley 1, 2009 and Glasgow 2, 2015 in the seats), and it got me hooked!! Manchester 1 and Hamburg 2 GA here I come!!
  9. I have that too. After a while I wondered do I really need it - given you can get Winter, Soon and Breathe (version 2) easily enough. Only reason Linear was worth something; for Winter. Otherwise the other stuff - the book, the prints etc just are extra room.

As for the music itself - I think it's their best work since Passengers and their best album since 1995. Just wish they'd not backed out of making it even more experimental - kept to the Moroccan / Fez theme they were aiming for. Hell, even Boots and Stand Up are good songs. Easily a listenable album - SoI, SoE, HTDAAB, ATYCLB - none of these come close to it.
  10. Just finished listening to this album the whole way through and I still feel like the songs are all individually great but it doesn’t really feel like an album. I don’t think there is really a story to follow through this album like there is on other ones. I’ve heard people say that No Line on the Horizon sounds more like a movie soundtrack than an album and tbh I’m starting to see that.
  11. I've said before, but still have this mad theory that NLOTH is actually the thematic centerpiece of their five 2000s-present day output of albums. I might need to quick set this out again to see if it still makes sense...

The outer "frames" are ATYCLB and SOE = albums dealing with hope, light, love, grace while dealing with moments of despair, death, and loss.

The inner "frames" are HTDAAB and SOI = albums wrestling with choosing "faith over fear", as innocence is lost and gives way to experience.

Which puts NLOTH right in the middle, an album exploring the spiritual life as a pilgrimage of sorts, involving worship, surrender, and yet also uncertainty...

Not what the band intended probably at all, but it works for me!
  12. Originally posted by bpt3:I've said before, but still have this mad theory that NLOTH is actually the thematic centerpiece of their five 2000s-present day output of albums. I might need to quick set this out again to see if it still makes sense...

The outer "frames" are ATYCLB and SOE = albums dealing with hope, light, love, grace while dealing with moments of despair, death, and loss.

The inner "frames" are HTDAAB and SOI = albums wrestling with choosing "faith over fear", as innocence is lost and gives way to experience.

Which puts NLOTH right in the middle, an album exploring the spiritual life as a pilgrimage of sorts, involving worship, surrender, and yet also uncertainty...

Not what the band intended probably at all, but it works for me!
    Ooooh I like this! Would like to see an article written on this!