2011-06-24 - Glastonbury
Tour: Various Dates
Songs played: 20
Audio recordings: 2
Videos: 1
  1. Originally posted by deanallison:[..]
    I was claiming it wasn’t a nostalgia tour at the time but I’m sure I posted since saying that it could be described as that. It was a tour celebrating an album from the past so yes that is nostalgia. But only a nostalgia tour u2 didn’t suddenly become a nostalgia act despite some claiming that. They released and toured a brand new album right on the back of JT30, if JT30 was a nostalgia tour by definition the new album and tour proved that the band weren’t a nostalgia act by definition. Same with AB30, people saying if they were to do that they will have cemented their place as a nostalgia act but again by definition no they wouldn’t have if they followed it up with a new album and tour. But yes JT30/32 a nostalgia tour but not any more of a greatest hits show than several other shows and tours they’ve done.
    I can claim it was a nostalgia tour. I can't possible claim it was a Greatest hits show though. I went to 3 JT 30 shows and at all 3 shows, the fans around me were somewhat bored. At the one show(Miami) where I was not on the field up close, the fans were not just bored, but resorted to playing on their phone, with almost no attention to the show until a hit was played. Even Bullet, a U2 fan favorite, got little reaction. And a new song was not played very often. With Miami, Tampa, and Louisville, not a single new song was played, which would help the argument of it being a hits tour, but you won't find a single hits based oldies station saying "And now, here's that huge U2 hit song....Exit!" Not gonna happen.
    JT had 2 big hits, and Streets to a degree. Pop stations that play oldies will not touch Streets under any circumstance in the US. So in the US, the album had 2 hits that remained on playlists. Glastonbury was a hits show, but I agree with the sentiment that Boots was the wrong choice, and even though I like Moment Of Surrender, it's probably the most overrated around here, and even though I like it, it closed all six of my 360 shows, and all six had more people walking out early than had Streets, Bullet, or any popular U2 song had been saved for last.
    And as far as the topic? Glastonbury was 2 days after the excellent Baltimore show I attended, and the excellent Miami 360 was just 5 days after Glastonbury, and both of those shows were fantastic, only topped by Nashville a few days later of my 2011 U2 Experience. Glastonbury was marred by all factors previously mentioned, but I hate getting on a plane to travel at all, and as our guys were getting on in years, it could not have been easy for them at all.
  2. Originally posted by popmarter:U2 turn down Glastonbury headliner ( source RTE.ie)

U2 - Declined Glastonbury 2005

After months of speculation, U2 have ruled themselves out of headlining next year's Glastonbury Festival.

The Irish band had been the favourites to play the Saturday night slot that was last year filled by Paul McCartney.

Festival founder Michael Eavis told Virtual Festivals that the band have reluctantly declined his invitation due to a world tour next summer.

"U2 are not doing it. We heard last week," he explained. "They are doing a tour with Clear Channel and it would get in the way of their schedule. But their manager said they will do it at some point in the future."

Now that would have been interesting they basically had them signed up at the time but they pulled out .
    I didn't know, or remember, they were going to do Glasto 05. That was the last time they were massive for the general audience with Vertigo being omnipresent thanks to the Ipod TV ad and everything. It would have gone down better than it did in 2011. Also the tax issues arised in 2007 so if they had played Glasto in 2005 there wouldn't have been as much as a protest against U2/Bono as there was in 2011. Oh well.
  3. There WOULD have been a ten minute speech before One though.
  4. TBH they bottled doing Glastonbury for 30 years Michael Eavis has mentioned it in various interviews over the years, yeah I know they had their own big tours but so did a lot of the other bands who have done it multiple times, Oasis,Radiohead, Coldplay etc, thankfully they did get round to it in 2011 but it wasn't the big stand out performance they'd hoped it would be due to various factors.
  5. Originally posted by popmarter:[..]
    They had given him a verbal agreement to do it that year which he has said in various interviews so yeah it is pulled out ,and they had agreed to do it other years but messed him around by not signing on the dotted line.
    Understood, but a verbal agreement means nothing. They were never booked, they never pulled out of the gig. They decided not to take the offer after consideration. No contract to "pull out" of. Just never came to fruition.
  6. watching the concert again...

Bad had a amazing performance, easily the best in that night imo

WTSHNN been played after it would be great
  7. God damn I wished they’d taken AIWIY or Bad/40 out of the recycling bin for the Streets seque.
  8. They never quite nailed the 40 segue, and I don't think Bono's voice could do the AIWIY segue justice nowadays. I'd much rather prefer something like Zooropa again. Just as long as it's not Pride.
  9. I think the Bad/40/Streets segue on the Boston DVD is up there with the best sequences they've done.
  10. The best IMHO
  11. The run of Stay, bad/40 snippet, streets is just about as good as music gets. Zoo station, the fly and stay on E&I and ultraviolet, with or without you, love is blindness on zoo tv are probably the closest contenders in terms of 3 songs in sequence live.