1. Originally posted by U2Bad001:My top grunch band

1)Pearl Jam
    2)Nirvana
    3)Temple Of The Dog
    4)Soundgarden
    5)Alice In Chains
    6)Stone Temple Pilots

Best song for each group

For Pearl Jam - Alive ( it's very very difficult to choose )
    For Nirvana - Smell Like Teen Spîrit
    For Temple Of The Dog - Hunger Strike
    For Soundgarden - Black Hole Sun
    For Alice In Chains - Would ?
    For Stone Temple Pilots - Plush

I find Scott Weiland and Chris Cornell and Eddie Vedder are a same kind of voice
    Scott Weiland in Plush and Chris Cornell and Eddie Vedder in Hunger Strike are a same voice It's my opinion

Although they were big at the same time as these other bands, I suppose one would consider The Smashing Pumpkins "grunge," would they?

Shit, I did it again...this is a "Pearl Jam" thread
  2. uhm i'm not agree .. musically some songs could have some little grunge features but i think they're mostly alternative gothic rock and pop too in such a way.

there's not a great grunge attitude here, uh?

anyway the Pumpkins was a very good band and Mellon Collie a great album
  3. Originally posted by clover68:uhm i'm not agree .. musically some songs could have some little grunge features but i think they're mostly alternative gothic rock and pop too in such a way.

[image]

Definitely. I love Smashing Pumpkins, and especially Mellon Collie and Siamese Dream.

4. Those are the only SP albums you'll need.

Gish has a cult following but I found it was a little unpolished (I geuss that 's why some people like it) and lacks the melodies that are found on Siamese Dream.

MC&TIS is solid. Lots of great tracks but a few of them are a bit overblown. Like pretty much every double album ever made, it would have been an absolutely gem itf they had cut it down to a single disc.

As for Pearl Jam, I cannot get enough of that Chicago 1995 concert. Thanks again, Matt, for uploading that. So good. If you are considering becoming a fa n of this band, I'd recommend you start with this show as opposed to any studio album.
  5. Smashing Pumpkins are a great band but it's not a grunch band
  6. on Amazon there is the audio preview of the songs of the upcoming ukulele album by Eddie

7. Grunge

And yes, I agree with you. And whoever said MCIS and Siamese Dream were the only things you need by them, shame on you...certain tracks from Gish and Pieces Iscariot are essential, and so is Adore.
  8. Originally posted by RUMMY:[..]

I'm in hte process of making a (best of) PJ live compilation...it'll probably be four CD's long, however. I'm using Live on Two/Ten Legs and I just shelled out about $20 on itunes (gotta be honest from time to time) for some of the missing live tracks.

maybe it's good to ask here
    are you considering only PJ songs or covers too?
    anyway 4 cds is a decent lenght

9. The only cover I was planning to use was "Crazy Mary" - a song that I appreciate was written by Lucinda Williams but has, in my mind, become Pearl Jam's. Sure, I could use "Last Kiss" (always found that one a bit annoying), "Rockin' In The Free World," or a couple of their many renditions of songs by The Who/Pete Townsend but I think I will just stick to songs they've written.

I've now got a version from every track (save one or two) from their first three albums, about five or six from their next two (no Who You Are - maybe I should find a copy of that one) and three or so from the next four albums. I have to admit, I didn't get into Riot Act or Backspacer at the time of their release and feel I should revisit them. I also have "Yellow Ledbetter", "Breathe", "State of Love and Trust", and "I Got Id/Shit."
  10. Crazy Mary has truely become sort of a Pearl jam song .. great Boom (boooooom ) Gaspar there.
    also Rockin in the free world (or Fucking up) ought to be considered in a PJ live set. there are loads of covers. you were saying you started from live on ten legs too .. are you using Arms aloft by Joe Strummer (_O_ )? (just saying cause i love Joe )
    i'd suggest also "I believe in miracles" by Ramones, particularly the one of Madison Square Garden 2003 if you can to get it
  11. Originally posted by clover68:uhm i'm not agree .. musically some songs could have some little grunge features but i think they're mostly alternative gothic rock and pop too in such a way.

[image]

It was their transition to "goth" that I think turned me off the band...

I will always consider Siamese Dream one of the greatest albums ever made.

Oh shit, we're in a PJ thread!
  12. Originally posted by EyesWithPrideB3:[..]

Grunge

And yes, I agree with you. And whoever said MCIS and Siamese Dream were the only things you need by them, shame on you...certain tracks from Gish and Pieces Iscariot are essential, and so is Adore.

I said it.

Those two albums are all you need to start. I stand by that statement - somewhat.

I have added that "Starla" (a "Disarm" b-side and from Pisces Iscariot) and "Set The Ray To Jerry" (a "1979" b-side and on their Rotten Apples bonus disc) are essential, so yes, I am contradicting myself. So I'll rephrase and say the Siamese Dream and MC&TIS era is all you really need.

I find Gish to be a dull record. I've tried to get into it but it just doesn't work for me. Adore has a few good tracks at the start but the rest is crap... I've giving it many, many listens...it's where Billy Corgan lost himself - and never found his way back.