1. I'll say it again: Snippets are what a U2 concert is all about. It seems that Bono just loves giving "props" to other artists. They also help distinguish (along with the crowd in the background and the occasional off-key note) a live show track from a studio one.

Keep singing how you feel, Bono.
  2. Only ones that do it for me at all anymore are My Sweet Lord in MW and It's Only Rock n' Roll (But I Like It) in Vertigo.

I guess the ones at the end of BD can be alright too. Sgt. Pepper is the only one that really stands out to me...Blackbird is tired.

I really wish Bono would be doing Elvis Costello's "Pump it Up" either at the end of Boots or Vertigo...fits perfectly in both songs. I believe he's snippeted it twice in Vertigo, it's been fantastic.
  3. Originally posted by pleasegone:[..]

Yep, I gave such a harsh opinion, I should be hunted down and beaten. Right? I guess after I was dumb enough to say they should keep "Breathe" in the setlist and get rid of the "Crazy" remix, I should have learned my lesson.

Geez, is this turning into prince.org? I always felt I could put my opinions on this site without somebody wetting their pants.

Another poster had something intelligent to say...asking how hard would it be to edit Bono for a few seconds. If it was just one or two shows, yes. I know they record every single show anyway, and would want the renewal for U2.com to be a choice of one show. Yeah, it's a pipe dream, but why record every show and then do nothing with them?

And it would not bother me if they kept the snippets, but the snippets are maybe less than 2 percent of the entire show, but sometimes take up 40% of somebody's written setlist, giving a false impression of the setlist, and even if they put (Snippet) in, it still looks pretty lame to me....

Overreaction on my part pleasegone- accept my apologies
  4. Originally posted by RUMMY:I'll say it again: Snippets are what a U2 concert is all about. It seems that Bono just loves giving "props" to other artists.
    Keep singing how you feel, Bono.

it's part of His big humanity and humbleness ... also showed in the live duets when He always leaves the main scene to the others
  5. My take on the discussion going on in the Boston thread is that when you classify snippets even more, the judgement calls get out of control (no pun intended). There's no sense introducing a variable into U2-world that would almost solely exist for fans to argue over.

Does it really benefit anybody to know in precisely, exactly what manner a song was referenced / snippeted? We know based on seeing "snippet" listed that some form of reference to that song was made - whether it was a whole verse (MOS in BD recently) or just a very subtle reference to a song that we might not even know is a snippet (LAPOE in UTEOTW).

I guess I just don't see the point in breaking down something to the point of making it super arguable.
  6. Well, I (quite) often download or re-listen shows based on interesting or exceptional snippets. An interesting case springs to mind: long ago, I saw Ultraviolet had been snippeted at the start of If God Will Send His Angels in this Popmart Edmonton show... Wow! I freaked out. I went to download it even if my download speed was very very slow by that time. It took almost an hour to download and when I went to listen to it in all my excitement... It's just "Sometimes I feel" spoken in a way that merely ressembles Ultraviolet at the very start. What a disappointment! And THAT is marked as the same snippet kind as Help (half of the song!) leading into Ultraviolet on Dublin '93 or Moment Of Surrender during Bad?!?! NO WAY. It was a wasted download (although the rest of the show is fine and all), and that same thing has happened over and over to me. Would have happen if snippets were divided in two or three classes
  7. Originally posted by MattG:My take on the discussion going on in the Boston thread is that when you classify snippets even more, the judgement calls get out of control (no pun intended). There's no sense introducing a variable into U2-world that would almost solely exist for fans to argue over.

Does it really benefit anybody to know in precisely, exactly what manner a song was referenced / snippeted? We know based on seeing "snippet" listed that some form of reference to that song was made - whether it was a whole verse (MOS in BD recently) or just a very subtle reference to a song that we might not even know is a snippet (LAPOE in UTEOTW).

I guess I just don't see the point in breaking down something to the point of making it super arguable.
    I'm with you, MattG.. At this point I don't even need to see the word snippet. If it's listed as The Electric Co./Send In The Clowns, I can pretty much figure it out...
  8. Originally posted by MattG:My take on the discussion going on in the Boston thread is that when you classify snippets even more, the judgement calls get out of control (no pun intended). There's no sense introducing a variable into U2-world that would almost solely exist for fans to argue over.

I'm with you, MattG.. At this point I don't even need to see the word snippet. If it's listed as The Electric Co./Send In The Clowns, I can pretty much figure it out...
  9. Snippets : Do you like them ?

Love them.
  10. Originally posted by LikeASong:Well, I (quite) often download or re-listen shows based on interesting or exceptional snippets. An interesting case springs to mind: long ago, I saw Ultraviolet had been snippeted at the start of If God Will Send His Angels in this Popmart Edmonton show... Wow! I freaked out. I went to download it even if my download speed was very very slow by that time. It took almost an hour to download and when I went to listen to it in all my excitement... It's just "Sometimes I feel" spoken in a way that merely ressembles Ultraviolet at the very start. What a disappointment! And THAT is marked as the same snippet kind as Help (half of the song!) leading into Ultraviolet on Dublin '93 or Moment Of Surrender during Bad?!?! NO WAY. It was a wasted download (although the rest of the show is fine and all), and that same thing has happened over and over to me. Would have happen if snippets were divided in two or three classes
    This is very fair - the same thing has happened to me on occasion...maybe a more thorough reporting of the snippet in the "show info" is more suitable? Standard snippets, like "Send In the Clowns" or even the god forbid "Rock n Roll Radio" snippet don't really need to be referenced, but every time a somewhat unexpected snippet popped up, a small note at the bottom of the show referenced what it was?

It would still be logged as a snippet, but it'd be worth noting at the bottom,

"During IGWSHA, Bono sang the first line of Ultraviolet, but did not continue"
  11. Originally posted by MattG:[..]
    This is very fair - the same thing has happened to me on occasion...maybe a more thorough reporting of the snippet in the "show info" is more suitable? Standard snippets, like "Send In the Clowns" or even the god forbid "Rock n Roll Radio" snippet don't really need to be referenced, but every time a somewhat unexpected snippet popped up, a small note at the bottom of the show referenced what it was?

It would still be logged as a snippet, but it'd be worth noting at the bottom,

"During IGWSHA, Bono sang the first line of Ultraviolet, but did not continue"

Problem solved. Perfect solution...