1. This just happened in New York #7:

The Electric Co. / Send In The Clowns (snippet) / Helter Skelter (snippet) / I Can See For Miles (snippet)
    Do You Remember Rock 'n' Roll Radio? (snippet) / Vertigo

4 snippets in a row
  2. I just read a review over on U2gigs and it was really weird... someone complaining that if U2 didn't do so many snippets they could play more of their own stuff! That's so odd. Snippets really rarely add length to songs, they merely add words, usually at points where Bono wouldn't be singing otherwise.

It's not a U2 show without snippets, plain and simple. They aren't to blame for U2's setlist length, that would be because of U2's... I don't know, apprehension to have a long, adventurous set instead of a short, tight one anchored to the major hits (not that this is inherently bad, but this U2 - even their shakier stuff is pretty damned interesting, and it wouldn't really be 'unknown' for that long if they were playing it live and y'know, maybe releasing live material more...?)
  3. I don't think U2 would be U2 without snippets.

A 'nod and wink' / 'tip of the hat' to the bands / artists / heroes / friends / inspiration in general, or where they've borrowed their inspiration from for a song or sometimes just a reference to the town they're in or VIP's at the show. And maybe occasionally a little bit of an adrenaline rush for Bono and co to get to sing a little from their heroes be it... 'London Calling', 'The Jean Genie', 'Ne Me Quitte Pas', 'Glad To See You Go' or the 'Neighbours' theme tune!!

It's yet another layer of U2's fantastic live shows, and definitely part of who they are going back a long time.

So what's not to like?!

I've been exposed to all kinds of songs and artists through these snippets that I might have missed otherwise which can only be a good and healthy thing, and I'd wager that's at least partly why Bono sprinkles the songs with these extra little bits of magic at their live shows.

And I always get goosebumps when I hear Bono sing snippets of other favourite bands down the years like Simple Minds or REM.
  4. not at all, i like better an entire cover or a surprise, a song/surprise of the band
  5. Depends how good the snippet works with the song being played.

I think Crystal Ballroom / Miss You was a stunner this tour. It was lovely.

I hated MW & UTEOTW's snippet this tour.
  6. Originally posted by mofothethird:Depends how good the snippet works with the song being played.

Really? I loved them!

...Although it's fair to say that I don't think any snippet could equal Love To Love You Baby in MW or the 'is this rock n roll?' outro to UTEOTW, I thought what we had worked really well. Especially the few times MW opened with Fashion snippet...
  7. Originally posted by mofothethird:Depends how good the snippet works with the song being played.

3 hundred and 65 degrees... burning down the house!
  8. Really depends how snippet fits in song...

For example, normally my fave performances of Bad are full of snippets (The First Time in Chicago 2005, So Cruel in Milan 1992, I'm Waiting For The Man, Biko, and classics Ruby Tuesday and Sympathy For The Devil)

The same Bad was snippet at some shows in PopMart (in All I Want is You) and fits well

Some snippets in Discotheque on PopMart are great too, but yeah, sometimes didn't add nothing to the song (You'll Never Walk Alone in Walk On, California in Streets)
  9. I love the snippets ..without them i would cry if i listen MW again
  10. Anyone know if the speech prior to Last Night on Earth in Mexico City was a recurring thing? I don't have any PopMart shows downloaded at the moment.

Specifically curious if he was fond of shouting "I WANTED TO MEET GOD" before the guitar kicks in
  11. Originally posted by MattG:Anyone know if the speech prior to Last Night on Earth in Mexico City was a recurring thing? I don't have any PopMart shows downloaded at the moment.

Specifically curious if he was fond of shouting "I WANTED TO MEET GOD" before the guitar kicks in
    It was a pretty standarized thing with few changes from one show to another. The most usual form was:

I went looking for spirit and found alcohol,
    I went looking for soul and they sold me style.
    I wanted to meet Gooooooood!
    [drums & guitar kick in] And they sold me religion.

Can't tell when it started though, during the first 2 legs they had this eerie high pitched voice over the ominous synth. I'd say Bono's proper "alcohol speech" started when they went back to America for the final 2 legs but I'm not sure.
  12. Originally posted by LikeASong:[..]
    It was a pretty standarized thing with few changes from one show to another. The most usual form was:

I went looking for spirit and found alcohol,
    I went looking for soul and they sold me style.
    I wanted to meet Gooooooood!
    [drums & guitar kick in] And they sold me religion.

Can't tell when it started though, during the first 2 legs they had this eerie high pitched voice over the ominous synth. I'd say Bono's proper "alcohol speech" started when they went back to America for the final 2 legs but I'm not sure.
    Thanks! Good enough starting point for me to start watching out for it. The entire piece you italicized is fucking great, one of his better ones to bring a song in