1. I absoutely love Guns N' Roses. Appetite for Destruction was what got me into them, and then that got me obsessed. I then started buying all their albums. After all that, I started to lose interest. Sometimes I get back into them. I wouldn't see them in their current line-up, no way. After all the stories I've heard (and what happened to your show, Joe), I wouldn't go and see them. I agree with what Rummy said though - "GNR without Slash is NOT GNR".

I would see Slash though. I've heard he's really good live and of course, Myles Kennedy singing. He's possibly one of the greatest singers out there. I almost saw Slash too. He was playing in Edinburgh last year, but I was unluckily going on holiday that day Playing at T though, so I'll hopefully see them then!
  2. Oh yeah he did do that, he did it loads actually. Probably a couple times a song.

As good as 1986? Not a whole lot of people would've heard it then I'd say Pity about TIL, I think it's a standout album track. That, Sorry and There Was A Time are my favourites from ChiDem.
  3. It was almost as good as UYI imo

BTW If you guys like Myles Kennedy his voice you should really check out some Alter Bridge songs! Those songs suit his voice much better and Blackbird is one of the best songs in years
  4. Originally posted by jofice:Oh yeah he did do that, he did it loads actually. Probably a couple times a song.

As good as 1986? Not a whole lot of people would've heard it then I'd say Pity about TIL, I think it's a standout album track. That, Sorry and There Was A Time are my favourites from ChiDem.

That's what I thought - it's more like probably late 90s if anything. TIL has a nice instrumental and I love just the guitar alone in There Was A Time. Sounds killer - the way it does so many different things in a two-minute solo.

It was almost as good as UYI imo

BTW If you guys like Myles Kennedy his voice you should really check out some Alter Bridge songs! Those songs suit his voice much better and Blackbird is one of the best songs in years

In a way it had the sort of vibe but it was missing the big songs e.g. Yesterday, Estranged, Coma, November Rain, My World etc. It didn't really have any big epics, but then again it was an rock and roll album, not an overblown over-the-top album.

Love Crucify The Dead, We're All Gonna Die, Sahara, Mother Maria and Ghost, and Cali as well.
  5. Originally posted by drewhiggins:[..]

[..]
    In a way it had the sort of vibe but it was missing the big songs e.g. Yesterday, Estranged, Coma, November Rain, My World etc. It didn't really have any big epics, but then again it was an rock and roll album, not an overblown over-the-top album.

Love Crucify The Dead, We're All Gonna Die, Sahara, Mother Maria and Ghost, and Cali as well.

I'm glad it didn't have a My World
  6. Also: GNR without Slash is NOT GNR.

nothing but the truth .. let me pass the joke it's roses without guns
    it's like the Stones without Keith Richards, the Zeppelin without Jimmy Page.
    that said, as posted in another topic, i first listened to Chinese democracy just the other day and i founded it not as bad as i thought .. it deserves a better attention .. maybe ... certainly not all the songs.
    overproducted for sure that makes it quite cold .. so distant from what they were in the early days, Appetite for destruction for example.
    i don't think i'm the right person to say something about the comparison with U2 cause for me everyone lose, even "my" PJ.
    what i can say is GnR is "only" Rock n roll .. U2 muuuch more
    without mentioning the duration of the bands.
    for me Axl Rose is a shit-ego person, as i said somewhere else i can't bear and what he did in Dublin and in other places shows that.
    of course nothing to say about the songwriting and his singing .. it works very well for what he sing
  7. All albums should have a My World moment. Always - I love that. ''Guess what I'm gonna do now?'' Record a shitty punk album and not do anything for five years afterwards. Axl wanted to do industrial and techno stuff like Nails and Massive Attack while Slash and Duff wanted to do blues-type albums and continue real hard rock like on Appetite. Egos collide, they disagree and eventually ends up in such a way that they just can't work together.

The lyric in Breakdown ''Everything was Roses when we held onto the guns'' and Pretty Tied Up's one ''Once there was this rock and roll band rollin' on the streets...time went by and it became a joke''. Yes, indeed they were right.

If any of the Stones left now it wouldn't be the Stones as we know it, and I doubt they'd tour or record again for that very reason. Even though they're well-past their time, they still rock the shit out of any band out there today, but you can't break them apart and expect them to keep going. Charlie wants to retire, Mick might do his own records, same with Keith and the Vinos and Ronnie would do his own songs again. Same with Aerosmith - if any of them left, particularly Steven or Joe, would it be Aerosmith? If Steven left they might record some real hard rock, if Joe left they'd be doing shitty ballads. KISS are another example...cheesy as they are, it never was the same band when Eric Carr died or Ace left.

Axl has a hell of an ego and can be a real tool (showing up for shows and having the power cut and acting like it's everyone's fault but his) but the musician side of him is incredible - have you ever heard his piano solos or deep voice? ChiDem what makes it feel cold is that it has so many different people on instruments, drum machines, cheesy sound effects, autotune and not to forget, a mid-90s sound what with Shackler's, Sorry and Riad and all recorded over various years. Hell, Shackler's is the exact same vocal track from 2002!!! That doesn't make for a cohesive record, recording over various years with different musicians - Buckethead's parts are still there even though he left in 2004 along with Robin Finck and Bumblefoot, who had to re-learn all the parts.

If he put out more albums regularly, and under his own name, they might do well and he might re-gain what little credibility, at least to the public, he has left. If Alice Cooper finally re-united with his band mates after nearly 40 years and he never thought it'd happen, surely Axl can do just one show with Slash and others to show it won't work.
  8. I think Slash, Duff, Axl, and crew will reunite one day. R&R Hall of Fame induction is due within the next year or two. I'd be suprised if Izzy Stradlin showed up - same goes for Steven Adler. Matth Sorum and Gilby Clarke will have to do. I'd rather not mention Dizzy Reed.

Extra food for thought: "Estranged" was a much better tune than "November Rain."
  9. if there is ever a GNR reunion, i reckon matt sorum would drum for them as opposed to adler. adler's pretty washed up, by all accounts.

in any case, i love GNR, one of the all time greats. the 2 UYI albums are lifechanging. "breakdown" is their most underrated track imo.
  10. Izzy played with him recently though didn't he? I'm almost positive he did. Duff definitely did, I'd actually say Slash and Adler and Sorum would be the least likely to reunite.

Estranged better than November Rain? That's tough...
  11. Why not Adler?? He is rockin' with Adlers Appite right now and the only one of them who really wants to reunite and he is friends with all of them (:

But I don't see it happening, Axl finally has his band right and the others are happy doing their own thing!
  12. Originally posted by wangmaster:if there is ever a GNR reunion, i reckon matt sorum would drum for them as opposed to adler. adler's pretty washed up, by all accounts.

in any case, i love GNR, one of the all time greats. the 2 UYI albums are lifechanging. "breakdown" is their most underrated track imo.

I always thougth "Breakdown" was a great tune.

"Dead Horse" was also solid.

All this GNR talk has got me thinking that I'd better dig out my collection.