1. Originally posted by redguitaronfire[..]

About Mercy: http://www.u2start.com/topic/273///12/0/#1853 (Edge himself says it's an unfinished song. My point was if an unifinished song leaked in, why not anything else?)
    Now, I've NEVER said the show you're throwing your brains out for is "readily available". I said LOOK FOR it, STREAM or whatever, because it exists. And I told you I would upload if I find it sometime soon. What's your problem with it?
    And: Who are you to demand "proofs"? You claim have spoken with Joe O'herly and to know "tons" of traders/tapers. Any "proof" to that or you just expect us to believe you because you say so?
    And: all the information you reply comes from other Internet sites. If you know so many tapers why haven't you said nothing new to what is so widely known?
    I'll tell you one last time what this was about because it seems your bitchy mood get things unclear whnhe you read my messagges: you had an opinion, I disagreed with it based on previous information I had. Forums are for that.

LOL, I never said you have to believe me. I'm not the one that threw out a specific show and said look for it, like it could be available. You did, thats why I asked for proof. Regarding Mercy, Edge says its not finished now. But it was on the album. Thats how it got out. The way it got out, has nothing to do with how the archive would surface. That is what I was pointing out there. Because you were obviously not familiar with how the song leaked to begin with.

I have met Joe O herlihy 2 times. The first was at a Cranberries show at the Meadows in Detroit in 1999. The sound desk was at the top of the theater and my seats were right by it. He was walking by before the show and I said hello to him. I was wearing a U2 T shirt so he knew how I knew him from that. I asked a few basic questions as to what U2 was doing at that point and when they would be on the road again. He was very nice and answered my questions. I ran into him again at the May 13, 2001 Chicago show. I was leaving through the back of the floor and he was coming out of the sound desk. Same thing, said hello and I asked him a few questions. Specifically about the archive. What I have said here and elsewhere is what he told me. Now you dont have to believe that either. But if you ever find the Tech TV Elevation tour special. They interview Joe O. there and he explains how they archive the shows there as well. Is that enough detail for you?

If something is widely known it will be all over bootleg lists, sites, etc. The pro shot you describe is nowhere to be found and has never been mentioned. THAT is what I meant by that and why I said look at websites. I dont download, I'm on dial up. Check out my list of audio. If I dont download how did I obtain my collection? Trading for it over the last 19 years is how. You trade for that long and meet that many people you obtain alot of information. As a result I have a pretty good idea about what is under the radar that isnt widely known and Mexico City 92 pro shot is not even one of those things. Its never been brought up anywhere I have seen or by anyone that I know who tapes and trades.

What am I suppose to do? List the tapers/traders I know? You wouldnt know who they were anyway as you obviously just download and have never traded in your life. I have responded the way I did because of your "here we go again" comment like this has happened before and how you just dismissed what I said. Lets go back and look though. I said specifically that 99.9% of U2's archive would never see the light of day. You responded by pointing out "bootlegs" and directing us to an audience torrent of a show you said there is a pro shot of out there as an example.
  2. Originally posted by Blue_Room[..]

LOL, I never said you have to believe me. I'm not the one that threw out a specific show and said look for it, like it could be available. You did, thats why I asked for proof. Regarding Mercy, Edge says its not finished now. But it was on the album. Thats how it got out. The way it got out, has nothing to do with how the archive would surface. That is what I was pointing out there. Because you were obviously not familiar with how the song leaked to begin with.

I have met Joe O herlihy 2 times. The first was at a Cranberries show at the Meadows in Detroit in 1999. The sound desk was at the top of the theater and my seats were right by it. He was walking by before the show and I said hello to him. I was wearing a U2 T shirt so he knew how I knew him from that. I asked a few basic questions as to what U2 was doing at that point and when they would be on the road again. He was very nice and answered my questions. I ran into him again at the May 13, 2001 Chicago show. I was leaving through the back of the floor and he was coming out of the sound desk. Same thing, said hello and I asked him a few questions. Specifically about the archive. What I have said here and elsewhere is what he told me. Now you dont have to believe that either. But if you ever find the Tech TV Elevation tour special. They interview Joe O. there and he explains how they archive the shows there as well. Is that enough detail for you?

If something is widely known it will be all over bootleg lists, sites, etc. The pro shot you describe is nowhere to be found and has never been mentioned. THAT is what I meant by that and why I said look at websites. I dont download, I'm on dial up. Check out my list of audio. If I dont download how did I obtain my collection? Trading for it over the last 19 years is how. You trade for that long and meet that many people you obtain alot of information. As a result I have a pretty good idea about what is under the radar that isnt widely known and Mexico City 92 pro shot is not even one of those things. Its never been brought up anywhere I have seen or by anyone that I know who tapes and trades.

What am I suppose to do? List the tapers/traders I know? You wouldnt know who they were anyway as you obviously just download and have never traded in your life. I have responded the way I did because of your "here we go again" comment like this has happened before and how you just dismissed what I said. Lets go back and look though. I said specifically that 99.9% of U2's archive would never see the light of day. You responded by pointing out "bootlegs" and directing us to an audience torrent of a show you said there is a pro shot of out there as an example.

Blue Room, I didn't say you had to believe me either. And that's why I told you twice I would upload the thing when I find it. About Mercy, Bono has also referred to as "one of our best b-sides". B-side to which single? There are many stories around it. But the point is: it has never been officially released and they consider it an unfinished song and Edge even hesitates about discussing it during an interview for that reason. Nevertheless you can get it. From fans or elsewhere you can get it. I see no reason as to why it couldn't happen to other archived material, that's all.

Second paragraph: I don't doubt the archives exist. In no messagge I've said that. But now, you share personal experiences which you can't prove just like I did. I saw the material I'm telling you about and that's how I'm telling you these. What can I do? Offer that if I find it I'll share, but probably someone else will do it before, because I'm no collector. I like rarities and bootlegs but I don't download or buy every piece I meet along the way. That's why I don't upload rightnow what you want, I don't have it. But I have information that it exist and that's what I wanted you to know.

let's go back, ok. What I said it was we don't need to expect U2 open their files to get a good amount of that interesting material. You yourself have pointed several good examples on how those songs/videos have jumped into us, and I say, since I've seen material which is not widely available yet, in the next years bootlegs will increase. Now, i remember other cases of file-opening which didn't work for the artists who did. The first was Bob Dylan. In the early 90's he edited a collection of discs with songs bootleggers had been releasing as bonus tracks for years. Eventually, it was reported as one of the low sellers of those years. the other was Bruce Sprinsteen and his "Tracks" Box-set. It contains outtakes, b-sides and studio versions his fans had been asking for years to be officially released. he did too late: most of those songs where already available in bootlegs, and he hasn't enough new fans to make it a blockbuster, so the companies tend to consider opening files is not so good.
    Anyway, I'm glad to smoke peace-pipe with you.
  3. Originally posted by redguitaronfire[..]

Blue Room, I didn't say you had to believe me either. And that's why I told you twice I would upload the thing when I find it. About Mercy, Bono has also referred to as "one of our best b-sides". B-side to which single? There are many stories around it. But the point is: it has never been officially released and they consider it an unfinished song and Edge even hesitates about discussing it during an interview for that reason. Nevertheless you can get it. From fans or elsewhere you can get it. I see no reason as to why it couldn't happen to other archived material, that's all.

Second paragraph: I don't doubt the archives exist. In no messagge I've said that. But now, you share personal experiences which you can't prove just like I did. I saw the material I'm telling you about and that's how I'm telling you these. What can I do? Offer that if I find it I'll share, but probably someone else will do it before, because I'm no collector. I like rarities and bootlegs but I don't download or buy every piece I meet along the way. That's why I don't upload rightnow what you want, I don't have it. But I have information that it exist and that's what I wanted you to know.

let's go back, ok. What I said it was we don't need to expect U2 open their files to get a good amount of that interesting material. You yourself have pointed several good examples on how those songs/videos have jumped into us, and I say, since I've seen material which is not widely available yet, in the next years bootlegs will increase. Now, i remember other cases of file-opening which didn't work for the artists who did. The first was Bob Dylan. In the early 90's he edited a collection of discs with songs bootleggers had been releasing as bonus tracks for years. Eventually, it was reported as one of the low sellers of those years. the other was Bruce Sprinsteen and his "Tracks" Box-set. It contains outtakes, b-sides and studio versions his fans had been asking for years to be officially released. he did too late: most of those songs where already available in bootlegs, and he hasn't enough new fans to make it a blockbuster, so the companies tend to consider opening files is not so good.
    Anyway, I'm glad to smoke peace-pipe with you.

I have given multiple specific examples and information about the archive. Some of it is personal experience but some of it can be proven also. I sighted the Tech TV special. Joe O. confirms the archive there. Also, the shows I indicated were filmed. There are whole clips of at least several songs of most of them widely available that can be found on the net. So they were obviously filmed. I dont think you offered any proof that Mexico City 92 was/is out there. I call it "fuzzy" information. You thought you saw it listed and thought you saw a few clips of it on TV. How do you know the clips were Mexico City, could have been any Zoo show. You even said you were not a big fan then. How would you be able to tell or even pay attention to that much detail about it? I have no doubt it was filmed. Most of Zoo TV was. But I dont think its in the hands of any type of trader and it has never been listed as available anywhere. If it was it was most likely a misprint, flat out lie by some trader, or was really an audience version. I would put my bet on my third example. Bootleggers do that all the time. Call something a pro shot or soundboard even though its an audience shot or aud. recording.

All I'm saying is you may have thought you saw it out there, I think you were/are mistaken.

On Mercy, I know what they are saying about it NOW, after the fact. What I'm talking about is how it was leaked. Which is what we are discussing here. It was finished and on the album. They changed their minds on it. But thats how it got out.

I'm done with this also. Good luck, I will be happy to eat crow if you find a Mexico 92 pro shot. I think I'm very safe though.
  4. Originally posted by Blue_Room[..]
    How do you know the clips were Mexico City, could have been any Zoo show. You even said you were not a big fan then. How would you be able to tell or even pay attention to that much detail about it?

Because I could compare what I saw to the audio bootleg (We Will Rock You is not common in any Zoo show) and because it also contained excerpts from the press conference. It was some kind of compilation of U2 different visits to Mexico. I didn't have to put attention to identify. There were also shoots on the auidience and latin american type is obviously recognizable; since Zoo TV didn't reach other Latinamerican country you can say this is a safe point. I'm getting this conclusion now, I didn't back then, because I didn't have reasons to doubt since I didn't know anythng on video rarities. It was, hey, look a show on U2, let's see it.