1. You know, I was listening to Beatles for Sale and A Hard Day's Night again recently and I was reminded of a recurring thought I have about The Beatles. When you listen to one of their songs, rarely do you say "Oh, that sounds awkward, unnecessary, out of place, etc." Their songs are so well constructed and arranged that you can only listen and marvel.

I heard a great quote recently from Rick Rubin (producer extraordinaire). In an interview, he was asked what is was about The Beatles and what made them work.

He said,
    "It transcends everything. It's much bigger than four kids from Liverpool. For me the Beatles are proof of the existence of God. It’s so good and so far beyond everyone else that it’s not them."
  2. Maybe that's a bit exaggerated by mr Rubin, but you're definitely right about nothing feeling out of place in their songs (in their less experimental songs, at least).
  3. Originally posted by LikeASong:Maybe that's a bit exaggerated by mr Rubin, but you're definitely right about nothing feeling out of place in their songs (in their less experimental songs, at least).

A bit exaggerated? Massively over exaggerated, I think.
  4. Not much has been written since that can even come close to what The Beatles did. Rubin may have blown it a little out of proportion, but in the grand scheme of things, in the music industry, they are God. They created it, just like God created the Earth
  5. Originally posted by dylbagz:Not much has been written since that can even come close to what The Beatles did. Rubin may have blown it a little out of proportion, but in the grand scheme of things, in the music industry, they are God. They created it, just like God created the Earth

Yes, you're basically right. Saying "The Beatles are proof of the existance of God" is a greatly overblown statement but it's indeed really true when you apply it to the music that's been done since they stopped making music.

Anyway, I didn't want this to become a "overrated or not" debate about The Beatles. I was just amazed at how great most of their songs are.
  6. Exactly, comparing The Beatles even remotely to God is a huge statement to make. Of course, they are one of the most important and greatest bands ever, but there is no way you can compare them to something like that.

Dylan, I ask you, what do you mean by "they created it"?
  7. Originally posted by KieranU2:Exactly, comparing The Beatles even remotely to God is a huge statement to make. Of course, they are one of the most important and greatest bands ever, but there is no way you can compare them to something like that.

I think he means they somehow created the current music industry scheme. And I can see why he says that. Before The Beatles, nobody wrote their own songs, most artists did covers or standards, full albums weren't that commonly sold, etc.
  8. Basically what Sergio said.

They changed the way the music industry was forever. People went nuts over their stuff (Beatlemania). They were even seen as rebels by some. They really got the music industry going. Before them there was music, yes. But not in the way that it was after them.
  9. ... video and promo video ...

The Beatles Anthology is a great journey (also for its lenght hehe) to get what they did and created
    hiiiighly recommended
  10. Originally posted by KieranU2:Exactly, comparing The Beatles even remotely to God is a huge statement to make. Of course, they are one of the most important and greatest bands ever, but there is no way you can compare them to something like that.

And how did you know that was my name..?

11. I've seen people mention you by name before

I'll give you that, yes. I was being expectant thinking you were going to say The Beatles created rock music because that seems to be many people's argument. Of course, they were one of the first bands to do originals on a full album without covers.
  12. Oh. I thought you may have just typed dylbagz into Google haha. I think that comes up with me. www.facebook.com/dylbagz is me, that's for sure.

They were, but.. Their first album still had covers. About five or six of them infact!