1. Stay and In God's Country are massively better in studio trim. Same with Wake Up Dead Man, Love And Peace, Pride, MLK and shit loads more
  2. Originally posted by germcevoyStay and In God's Country are massively better in studio trim. Same with Wake Up Dead Man, Love And Peace, Pride, MLK and shit loads more

Although Love and Peace has some better Edge work when being played live.
  3. i really think, like it's been mentioned, that the 2 versions (live and studio) shouldn't be compared too heavily, since in many cases they are quite different and in a different context. It's like comparing the album version of Bullet to the Zoo TV version. the Zoo TV one kills the album, but not necessarily because it's better, just because it's totally different and in a new context, it doesn't really matter lol
  4. to me the two don't compare either. its just not fair. being a musician for 10+ years being in the studio is an entirely different experience from the stage, and especially in u2's case

i normally put on the studio albums if it's during the day, i like hearing the "original" versions most of the time. i'll put on something live, usually Slane Castle, if i've got people over hanging out and such
  5. Originally posted by gigfxto me the two don't compare either. its just not fair. being a musician for 10+ years being in the studio is an entirely different experience from the stage, and especially in u2's case

i normally put on the studio albums if it's during the day, i like hearing the "original" versions most of the time. i'll put on something live, usually Slane Castle, if i've got people over hanging out and such

live stuff is good if other people are around, then you can really show U2's power to someone who might not be expecting it. U2 is arguably the best live band, but the best studio band maybe not so much, however i'm not discrediting anything they've done in the studio, that just might be the general consensus
  6. Originally posted by thefly07i really think, like it's been mentioned, that the 2 versions (live and studio) shouldn't be compared too heavily, since in many cases they are quite different and in a different context. It's like comparing the album version of Bullet to the Zoo TV version. the Zoo TV one kills the album, but not necessarily because it's better, just because it's totally different and in a new context, it doesn't really matter lol

I agree, Jake . The thing is, I'm more likely to stick on a bootleg or something to listen to because there's something unique about nearly every performance/show, whereas on the album you'll know exactly what you're getting but it's far more refined and polished.

To be honest though, I'm quite happy to listen to either, although I do think that there are songs that were born to be live songs e.g. I know there are people who prefer Streets in studio form because it has everything bunged together to make a complete package (the rhythm or the muted guitar mixed with Edge's normal guitar part, Bono's vocals etc. being elements that are often pointed to), but 99 times out of 100 it's a mindblowing live experience that, for me, truly outdoes the album format. Don't get me wrong, with any live performance, if that 'something' isn't there, a song or a show doesn't take off, but when it does, wow.
  7. *Bump

There's only a batch of songs that I prefer to listen to in album version. Here they are:

Wild Horses
    The Fly (non-Elevation versions)
    Zoo Station
    Staring At The Sun
    Stay
    Zooropa
    Yahweh
    Lemon
    With or Without You (but I still hold a candle for JT and Lovetown).
  8. Pretty much agree with you, although I can't decide between the live&acoustic Staring At The Sun and the studio one... They're just different songs. The album version has some anger and the live is more intimate and, somehow, more moving. I can't decide. More or less the same goes for Stay, some '93 versions were really good, although the album one has that special feeling that makes it one of their best songs ever.

EDIT. The live segue between Lemon and WOWY gives me shivers everytime. Not saying that any of the songs was better than studio (Lemon was obviously not), but different and greatly rearranged.
  9. The studio versions of Horses and Stay should only be played in a full band version live. So as long as they do not do it that way, those album versions are better.
    And I dunno, but recently I find ISHFWILF to have a more tense and thriving rhythm on the album than played on the current tour.
    I also think that Yahweh is better on the album than the live version.
  10. Funny how opinions differ: I find ISHFWILF much better on this tour than all the previous, maybe since Zoo TV. The fact that Larry and Adam are present (much more present!!!) since the start of the song makes it really better for me. If I don't skip it while listening to the bootlegs, it's a good sign
  11. Originally posted by LikeASong:Funny how opinions differ: I find ISHFWILF much better on this tour than all the previous, maybe since Zoo TV. The fact that Larry and Adam are present (much more present!!!) since the start of the song makes it really better for me. If I don't skip it while listening to the bootlegs, it's a good sign

I also prefer Larry and Adam in the song from the beginning, it's just that it lacks a certain musical force imo.
  12. I haven’t heard that many live versions, but one I really like is this version of a sort of homecoming:

Anyone knows from which concert this is taken? And is this an official video?