1. California was only performed live at it's best on Jools Holland. Other versions on tour have relied way too much on playback sounds which cheapens it a bit.
  2. Originally posted by EridescoFly:California was only performed live at it's best on Jools Holland. Other versions on tour have relied way too much on playback sounds which cheapens it a bit.
    The issue with California live for me was edge’s guitar playing during the chorus. I wanted something that was more representative of the album with the synths, I think Dreamforce is the best live version but still not as good as the album version, don’t have any problem with playback bits as long as the band are still playing something live alongside it.
  3. The Ground Beneath Her feet is amazing studio, but pretty meh live in acoustic form...
    Agree with DYFL... in comparsion Please is great studio, but massive live - one of the songs almost perfect in studio taken live to another level
  4. Originally posted by Alvin:The Ground Beneath Her feet is amazing studio, but pretty meh live in acoustic form...
    Agree with DYFL... in comparsion Please is great studio, but massive live - one of the songs almost perfect in studio taken live to another level
    I remember seeing them perform Please from an early US Popmart gig on an MTV documentary and been blown away how powerful it was, the song even made the UK top 10 singles charts despite it been a dark political tune probably helped by the brilliant Popheart ep.
  5. Firmly believe that WOWY is their best-recorded song and has never had a live performance that equalled the studio magic, snippet-filled-favorites included.
  6. I would argue that a good 85%+ of their catalogue is better live, especially when you dial it down to specific eras (an example would be RTSS being better live, but when talking about Zoo TV performances as opposed to JT30). They have changed their sound and songs so much over the years. Are there particular eras you prefer when listening to a certain song?

Like for me, one song I would say is Bullet The Blue Sky, but specifically from Zoo TV, Elevation, and IE. Popmart was good, JT/JT17 and vertigo were pretty meh.

Obviously this is all my opinion, but I think specific tours/eras can make song a lot better, pretty much the same, or make a song even worse than the studio version.
  7. The studio version of I Still Haven't Found is miles better than it is live.
  8. Funny how differering opinions people have regarding music. For example, I find the live versions of TUF better than the studio with the 12/27/89 being my fav performance of the song. Blows me away.

I can't even listen to the studio version of HMTMKMKM after hearing the live versions. It just sounds so tame and neutered. Edge's tone on the live version kills the studio version not to mention the laid back vocals in the studio version and the lyric change live makes the song much better.

I agree with some about WOWY as great as some of the live versions are, none have topped the studio version for me as it is probably my all time favorite song.

Even though I don't care for the song overall I also agree that ISHFWILF is better in the studio.

Pretty much every other song is better live for me. NYD is equal but I love the extra verse in the studio version. If Bono had done the version he did in 2017 but with his 80's voice it would have blown the studio version away.

Pop is the biggest improvement live for me though. I hate the studio album but love "most" of the songs they played live and that is pretty amazing. Gone, LNOE, and Please being the favorites and I probably listen to the live versions from Popmart more than I do their older songs from those shows. The acoustic SATS makes an unlistenable studio song at least tolerable.
  9. With or Without You from the Rattle And Hum dvd is hands the down the best live performance of that song. I wish it was available on iTunes to purchase
  10. Just that song at least
  11. Originally posted by MattG:Firmly believe that WOWY is their best-recorded song and has never had a live performance that equalled the studio magic, snippet-filled-favorites included.
    Disagree I don't like the studio version of it I find it a bit dull and lifeless some amazing live performances of it down through the years especially when they add "Shine like stars" and "Love will tear us apart "
  12. I agree with a previous comments about different tours making a difference. Since we’ve got on the topic of WOWY I’d say i prefer that live over the original with the exception of zoo tv where Bono was still in character singing it, and the repeated ‘and you give’ bit, not my thing and I love zoo tv as well. ISHFWILF is a good shout for a song that’s better in the studio, I actually thought 2017 was the best live version they’ve done with the little intro bit but only when Bono sang it all but still not as good as the album version.