1. Originally posted by deanallison:I agree with a previous comments about different tours making a difference. Since we’ve got on the topic of WOWY I’d say i prefer that live over the original with the exception of zoo tv where Bono was still in character singing it, and the repeated ‘and you give’ bit, not my thing and I love zoo tv as well. ISHFWILF is a good shout for a song that’s better in the studio, I actually thought 2017 was the best live version they’ve done with the little intro bit but only when Bono sang it all but still not as good as the album version.
    You know Dean, this is another of those funny things about us U2 nuts having such a wide range of opinions - those 1992 ZooTV versions with the Mirrorball Man are hands-down my favorite incarnation of With Or Without You. Obviously TJT/Lovetown were excellent and there’s some killer PopMart versions but since 1992 the song just hasn’t seemed to hold as much interest for me.
  2. One Studio > One Live.
  3. Originally posted by CMIPalaeo:[..]
    You know Dean, this is another of those funny things about us U2 nuts having such a wide range of opinions - those 1992 ZooTV versions with the Mirrorball Man are hands-down my favorite incarnation of With Or Without You. Obviously TJT/Lovetown were excellent and there’s some killer PopMart versions but since 1992 the song just hasn’t seemed to hold as much interest for me.
    I think the 92 versions were pretty strong to be fair having just listened back to a couple, it had changed a bit by the time they got to Sydney though, for the worse imo with the more exaggerated Macphisto accent and the ‘and you give’ bit at the end whereas Edge was doing a cool solo in 92 often going into shine like stars.
  4. Originally posted by deanallison:[..]
    I think the 92 versions were pretty strong to be fair having just listened back to a couple, it had changed a bit by the time they got to Sydney though, for the worse imo with the more exaggerated Macphisto accent and the ‘and you give’ bit at the end whereas Edge was doing a cool solo in 92 often going into shine like stars.
    Yeah, that’s fair. By ‘93 it definitely didn’t pack the same punch.
  5. I think Daddy’s Gonna Pay is better on record than live. Similarly to what people have been saying about Do You Feel Loved, just misses some of the sounds that is really hard to replicate live.
  6. Wowy started off really bad live in 87. the way the song ended I think sounded like an amateur band just wasn’t figured out and was so disjointed.(the end part that is) but there has been some great performances over the years on various tours. For me streets doesn't match studio version not musically just find Bono’s vocal a wee bit weak on that song. The energy of the crowd makes up for it. The edge does a great job supporting him at minute. But people are right just all your own preferences from tour to tour. Loved ultraviolet on 360 not so much on jt30
  7. WoWY had some pretty good performances on the Elevation Tour imo (check out South Bend). I'm quite a fan of the changed drumming by Larry, I feel like it adds to the intimacy of the song
  8. Originally posted by CMIPalaeo:[..]
    Yeah Zoo TV and Lovetown WOWY are incredible
  9. Most of the times WOWY is played on the automatic pilot. It misses the second guitar. The BBC version with orchestra is nevertheless very good.

There are more U2 songs which asked for more musicians on stage.
  10. For me, WOWY in Rattle & Hum is better than the album and one of the best renditions ever. Often one or more of the band shine in a performance but in R&H they all deliver a stellar performance.

As a generalisation, I'd say this is what U2 do well - take a good album track to another level live. These outnumber the instances where they muck it up.
  11. Dirty Day
    Bullet the Blue Sky
    Running to Stand Still
    Elevation
    Zoo Station
    Exit
    Daddy's Gonna Pay for Your Crashed Car
    Please